1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

New 06 XLT owner... performance suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 AM
prez1967
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 06 XLT owner... performance suggestions please

Greetings to all!

Just picked up a 2006 Expedition XLT to act as a daily driver and im already itching to mod.

Truck has 47k miles on it and is nice and tight (except for some rear hatch rattles but that'll soon be fixed).

Im thinking about getting the eibach lowering kit, bilstein shocks and 22" wheels from a Harley F150 (ford centercaps) to round out the appearance.

Now what do you all recommend in terms of intake/exhaust/computer upgrades? Im not looking to be the fasted guy on the block... just get better throttle response, tranny shift points and a nice rumble without the drone...

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go to the 22s you will decrease your power to the pavement so the first thing to do after the wheels would be some at least 4.30 gears, 4,86 would be better and if the truck is a A4WD you will need to do the front axle too.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
If you go to the 22s you will decrease your power to the pavement so the first thing to do after the wheels would be some at least 4.30 gears, 4,86 would be better and if the truck is a A4WD you will need to do the front axle too.
That is a little misleading. If you maintain the stock overall diameter by using low profile tires, the gearing will stay the same. Since the OP is talking lowering kit, I assume he is also going with low profile tires. He is also using a factory wheel from a substantially similar model.

Braking would concern me a little though. That wheel/tire combo is going to be substantially heavier than a stock set-up and will increase braking distances. Again though, since it is a factory set-up, hopefully it is within manufacturers specs.

I don't usually comment on questions like this because I disagree with those that think they can bolt on parts and make the vehicle substantially better than stock. That said, I like the Magnaflow muffler on my truck, the sound is just right. I wouldn't bother with a cold air intake as it only serves to produce more intake honk. I also wouldn't bother with a chip because to get any performance increase you must run premium fuel. To me 5-10hp you are not going to feel anyway is not worth the extra expense.

If you want something quick, or unique I don't understand why you would buy an Expy in the first place. They are great trucks for the utility and durability. Trying to make it "more better " is like lipstick on a pig IMO.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Greenie, You're right provided the outside diameter of the tire is the same as OEM. The gears will help his around town and towing performace as well as throttle response on the highway. They will not help much at the top end, over 120 mph, as the truck is rpm and speed limited.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
prez1967
New User
i wasnt really looking for something quick or unique... just somthing that my 6'7" frame could fit into comfortably and soak up the miles to and from work. Only reason im considering the wheels/suspension is since i see some wheels bouncing around here and there from people doing the whole "bling" thing... i figure factory ford quality and pretty reasonably priced, cant go wrong.

I appreciate your comments on the intake and computer programmer... Did you buy the magnaflow exhaust kit? Hows the highway drone/comfort with this setup?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
The original exhaust on my truck was still in exellent shape so I just removed the big stock muffler and had a Magnaflow installed. I do not think there is much to be gained with the whole system unless the original is rusted out. The truck has a nice V8 rumble, idle is pretty quiet, barely louder than stock. Acceleration makes some noise but short of obnoxious or blatty. Highway is fine, I think drone is hard to define. You can hear the engine via the exhaust unlike stock which is silent. I have done six hours at a time and never regretted the muffler choice.

You might want to consider the increased ride harshness with 22" wheels though. If your truck has air suspension it wont be too bad but if you live where the roads can be rough and have a standard suspension, you might regret that choice.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
That is correct. I put Saleen 23's on and kept the exact overall aspect ratio and everything works just fine.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM
dan4147
Junior User
prez1967. I mostly agree with big greenie. Don't expect much difference for a few bucks. Here is what my 1st hand experience is. Chipped the computer and went to premium.......couldn't tell any difference. Did a Borla cat back large pipe and K&N intake and could notice very very slight improvement in response....but......could not take the highway drone. Had the Borla muffler cut out and replaced with a large pipe rv muffler which was a shot in the dark but worked and sounds perfect with no less response. All that money got very minor results.........but it was fun. The best money I spent giving me something I could feel.....Transgo performance shift kit. 100 bucks plus fluid and did it myself. What a difference a firm quick shift makes. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Originally Posted by dan4147
The best money I spent giving me something I could feel.....Transgo performance shift kit. 100 bucks plus fluid and did it myself. What a difference a firm quick shift makes. Good luck.
Typically that will increase the lifespan of the trans too because there is less slippage