Nothing but trouble with Hawks Head TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,199 Likes on 573 Posts
Nothing but trouble with Hawks Head TPMS

So, I have had the HawksHead system on my trailer since the beginning of the season. I had originally ordered a system from TST which was back-ordered. Being the impatient type I canceled and ordered the HH system after finding it on an RV forum I frequent. BIG mistake! Nothing but issues. Every trip sensors don't come out of sleep mode. Different ones each time. So, I'm always getting a no signal error on a sensor or two. Sometimes pulling over and unscrewing them and then screwing them back in works, sometimes pulling the battery and re-installing works. Sometimes nothing works but waiting 100 miles for them to decide to come to life. The spare tire one hardly ever comes out of sleep mode because it's not spinning and must need a ton of vibration to "wake up." I've tried fresh batteries to no avail. Also, this whole sleep mode is of poor design. I thought I would be able to check tire pressure while hooking up my trailer before a trip by looking at the monitor, but since the sensors don't come out of sleep mode until you're underway, you can't check anything at the beginning of the trip! HawksHead is no help. Their customer support takes days to respond. No phone number to actually talk to a person. And they are in Canada and it takes forever to get anything to them or back from them. Over two weeks. HawksHead says to send it back and they will warranty it but I can't return for a refund. I guess I'll have to, but I have to say, even with a new unit and new sensors, I now don't trust the system. So, in conclusion, I would not recommend this system for anyone looking for TMPS. There are much better options out there like TST and PressurePro...

Old 10-19-2010, 07:01 PM
skywagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
So, I have had the HawksHead system on my trailer since the beginning of the season. I had originally ordered a system from TST which was back-ordered. Being the impatient type I canceled and ordered the HH system after finding it on an RV forum I frequent. BIG mistake! Nothing but issues. Every trip sensors don't come out of sleep mode. Different ones each time. So, I'm always getting a no signal error on a sensor or two. Sometimes pulling over and unscrewing them and then screwing them back in works, sometimes pulling the battery and re-installing works. Sometimes nothing works but waiting 100 miles for them to decide to come to life. The spare tire one hardly ever comes out of sleep mode because it's not spinning and must need a ton of vibration to "wake up." I've tried fresh batteries to no avail. Also, this whole sleep mode is of poor design. I thought I would be able to check tire pressure while hooking up my trailer before a trip by looking at the monitor, but since the sensors don't come out of sleep mode until you're underway, you can't check anything at the beginning of the trip! HawksHead is no help. Their customer support takes days to respond. No phone number to actually talk to a person. And they are in Canada and it takes forever to get anything to them or back from them. Over two weeks. HawksHead says to send it back and they will warranty it but I can't return for a refund. I guess I'll have to, but I have to say, even with a new unit and new sensors, I now don't trust the system. So, in conclusion, I would not recommend this system for anyone looking for TMPS. There are much better options out there like TST and PressurePro...
I have a set of those POS things on my shelf, what a friggan joke and wish they had them up the tailpipe period! Do not buy these, they should be run out of business!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I ordered a TST 507 system this morning with the basic four sensors.

I have heard nothing but good about the TST.

We'll see how it goes....

I did NOT order HawksHead based on others' recommendations.

Pop

Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 AM
System
Prolocutor
Got the TST 507 now myself. Great system.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I just use the old fashioned tire pressure guage. Had't really though of anything else.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I just use the old fashioned tire pressure guage. Had't really though of anything else.
Same here air gauge and a tire thumper the only real tire problem I've had in recent memory is the tread coming off one of my GoodYear 614G tires, it still had 110 psi in the inner casing just no tread and the trailer was less one wheel well opening

Denny

Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM
System
Prolocutor
Unfortunately, checking the pressure before heading out won't tell you if you have a problem that starts while underway like picking up a nail causing a slow leak. My TST system also monitors temp to see if you are dragging a brake or have a bad bearing. For me, it's cheap insurance at under $300 for the system.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I posted this in an RV-only forum, but thought I ought to post it at FTE as well, as this is my favorite place to be on the web.

"Long post, but it may save someone from experiencing the same grief I just went through this evening.

The 507 finally arrived this afternoon, which allowed me to take the sensors to my tire guy, who could now balance my new Maxxis tires.

Brought them all home and decided to activate the system. The YouTube videos were almost more helpful than the written instructions, and I had all the sensors "paired" with the display with no problems at all.

However, after ensuring that all the tires were at the same pressure, and setting the upper and lower limits, I couldn't get two of them to display anything at all. The other two worked "as advertised".

After noting that the two that worked had released "just a bit" of air prior to the gaskets sealing, and the other two non-operational ones did not, I determined that those two were not depressing the Schrader valve.

Hmmmm. I loosened the valve out to the point that there was air leaking past it a bit, and screwed the sensor back on. That resulted in the air just continuing to leak when the sensor was tight! What 'da heck????

I finally determined that any of the sensors would work on the two stems that worked initially, and none of the sensors would work on the two stems that were dead initially. Now I was getting somewhere!

Since I am a tool junkie, I have the tool to chase the threads on a valve stem. One of the functions is a thread "die" for the outside of the stem. If anyone's interested in trivia, it's a 0.307 x 32 thread. (How's that for an obscure size?)

I have determined tonight that my tire guy uses cheap (where do you THINK they were made?) metal valve stems. The O.D. threads were not threaded far enough, and the TST precision sensors wouldn't screw far enough on to depress the Schrader valve. After using the die to correct the errant Oriental threading job, the entire system is now playing a "right-nice tune".

I'm going to let it play overnight to see if there are any slow leaks.

Tomorrow, I'm taking my two spare tires to him to break apart, install metal stems, and balance.

I'm also taking that die with me, and before they go into my spares, those new stems are getting properly sized. I don't wish to re-discover this problem on the road somewhere!

Hopefully this helps someone, somewhere......

Pop

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
c125bob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting Pop, who woulda thought ? I need to get a good TP monitoring system for my 5er. I've had so much trouble with the factory system on the wifes Jeep that I've been reluctant to introduce more hassles in the tire department around here ! I will watch and see what happens.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

A follow-up report, a year later:

I have now owned the TST -507 system with four-sensors for about a year, and am still thrilled with its performance.

In the last year I have had the sensors on:

1) My two-axle travel trailer monitoring 50 psi,

2) On a single-axle enclosed utility trailer monitoring 38 psi, with the other sensors on my truck's rear tires monitoring 75 psi,

3) And on all-four truck tires monitoring 65 and 75 psi.

I've used them for a number of local trips and a cross-country to St. Louis.

With the exception of having to replace a sensor's coin battery in Winslow, AZ, they have performed faultlessly, and have provided peace-of-mind value well-beyond what I paid for them.

However, I have found that the sensors aren't any good at monitoring hub bearing temperatures, as I blew a bearing without any indication from the TPMS.

I have not had a dragging brake (I really watch the adjustment), so I have no data there.

You CAN tell the "sunny side", though, as that side typically runs a couple of psi higher and a few degrees warmer.

In short, I would do it all over again, exactly the same way.

Pop