2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2020 F350 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 PM
johntd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 F350 Build

My dad is a Ford retiree so I get employee pricing. I have decided to order a 2020 F350 to replace my 2016 F150 I currently own, primarily due to MPG when towing my 7000 lb bumper pull trailer. Otherwise the F150 ecoboost has been pretty fantastic.

Thought I would post my build preferences and see what people think:

Engine - 7.3 Liter gas. I have been 100% a diesel engine buyer until I read about the new 7.3 liter gas. I will wait for the specs to know for sure, but from what I am hearing I will probably choose the gas engine. I will probably own this truck for 10 years at least and gas will cost far less and be more reliable. I am also not using it for heavy towing so i cannot see why I would buy diesel anymore with the added HP of the new gas engine.
Bed - 6 3/4 ft bed - i love the long bed but it would take up every inch of my garage and I really don't need it... or do I....
Doors - going with the Crew cab. You just can't beat the space but my gut has always said that the super cab is plenty big for passengers just never have the guts to consider it seriously.
Trim - Going with XLT. I just cannot see any benefit in increasing the trim level. Everything I want is available on the XLT except the pearl white paint. Not worth the cost of moving to the Lariat.
Seats - Front bench cloth. I get a console by dropping down the middle seat. I never understood why anyone wants a console. My wife likes to sit next to me as well and a console costs more. I may add leather later.
PTO - I am adding the PTO. I didn't know you could get this option on the gas engine, but at least per the website I can order gas and PTO together. I don't need PTO today, but it is such a cheap option and can turn my truck into a farm machine. Seems a good option to put on the truck for the cost considering you cannot add it on after.
Moonroof - expensive, but my kids love it and for me it is worth the added cost
Power Equipment Group - I cannot see not getting this
XLT premium - I don't want this at all but it is required to get the moonroof.... , I could ditch this and the moon roof and save $4k....! a serious consdiration
Heavy duty alternator - why not
Upfitter switches - probably need these, but don't really know
Tow cameras - have these on my current f150 and can't really imagine not having it
Sirius XM - cannot live without this today
snow plow/camper package - not sure what i get with this but I may want a camper in the future
LED bed lights - i always need lighting in the bed
LED roof market lamps - never had a truck with these, why not now, woot
Step assist tail gate - I love this

I said no to the bed liner, have had a bed liner on my past two trucks and I just think it is added weight and does little to protect against anything serious, plus they always look like crap after a few years and sliding things on them can be a pain.

Current build for 2019 is $57,025

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johntd
My dad is a Ford retiree so I get employee pricing. I have decided to order a 2020 F350 to replace my 2016 F150 I currently own, primarily due to MPG when towing my 7000 lb bumper pull trailer. Otherwise the F150 ecoboost has been pretty fantastic.

Thought I would post my build preferences and see what people think:

Engine - 7.3 Liter gas. I have been 100% a diesel engine buyer until I read about the new 7.3 liter gas. I will wait for the specs to know for sure, but from what I am hearing I will probably choose the gas engine. I will probably own this truck for 10 years at least and gas will cost far less and be more reliable. I am also not using it for heavy towing so i cannot see why I would by diesel anymore with the added HP of the new gas engine.
Bed - 6 3/4 ft bed - i love the long bed but it would take up every inch of my garage and I really don't need it... or do I....
Doors - going with the Crew cab. You just can't beat the space but my gut has always said that the super cab is plenty big for passengers just never have the guts to consider it seriously.
Trim - Going with XLT. I just cannot see any benefit in increasing the trim level. Everything I want is available on the XLT except the pearl white paint. Not worth the cost of moving to the Lariat.
Seats - Front bench cloth. I get a console by dropping down the middle seat. I never understood why anyone wants a console. My wife likes to sit next to me as well and a console costs more. I may add leather later.
PTO - I am adding the PTO. I didn't know you could get this option on the gas engine, but at least per the website I can order gas and PTO together. I don't need PTO today, but it is such a cheap option and can turn my truck into a farm machine. Seems a good option to put on the truck for the cost considering you cannot add it on after.
Power Equipment Group - I cannot see not getting this
XLT premium - I don't want this at all but it is required to get the moonroof.... , I could ditch this and the moon roof and save $4k....! a serious consdiration
Heavy duty alternator - why not
Tow cameras - have these on my current f150 and can't really imagine not having it
snow plow/camper package - not sure what i get with this but I may want a camper in the future
LED bed lights - i always need lighting in the bed
LED roof market lamps - never had a truck with these, why not now, woot
Step assist tail gate - I love this

I said no to the bed liner, have had a bed liner on my past two trucks and I just think it is added weight and does little to protect against anything serious, plus they always look like crap after a few years and sliding things on them can be a pain.

Current build for 2019 is $57,025

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Congrats. I think since you came from a gas engine you will be fine and giddy having the new 7.3 engine.

Some have remorse like me going from a diesel to a gas but gas to gas shouldn’t be an issue.

I really like my factory bedliner on my 19 f350. I think they did a great job and I also use the bed extender A lot because the 8’ bed wouldn’t fit in my garage. It’s a big truck as it is- about 5 or 6” longer then when I had a 17 Chevy 3500.

Mud flaps wheel liners. - all these things are real I let cheap compared to after market and I think are a good deal. Cab roof lights? Some don’t like them but I do.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 938 Likes on 739 Posts
Since you like the pearl paint and may upgrade to leather, price the lariat value package vs the xlt you built. You can also get adaptive steering and heated rear seats.

The other nice XLT color is Ruby Red.

Dont forget BLIS.

8ft bed... I NEED one for work, I keep a longbed XL as well.

Kids plus 10 years ownership and I think you will want the crew cab.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 938 Likes on 739 Posts
Also unless you are plowing I would skip the camper/plow package gas f350. That’s absolute max front springs.

Not the best ride and gonna make you front high while towing.

Another rule I go by is 350 long bed and 250 short bed.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tow a travel trailer with my new 6.2 and it does very well. I’m kinda excited to see the details on the 7.3 too. One thing that I really like about the long box is the 48 gallon tank. These things drink a lot of gas while towing and having a large fuel tank keeps the stops to a minimum.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:12 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
[...] primarily due to MPG when towing my 7000 lb bumper pull trailer. Otherwise the F150 ecoboost has been pretty fantastic.

[...]
MPG gains while towing is a pretty poor reason to upgrade. Going bigger will get you more stability, better control, and other driveability/ease of use benefits. Fuel economy improvements will be slight, if anything. You're towing a big box. You're going to get crap fuel economy. V8, ecoboost, 6.7 diesel, monster 7.3 gasser, whatever. 7-12 mpg across the board.

If you think the moonroof is expensive now, wait until you have to fix it ... and you'll probably have to fix it.

Yes, get the upfitter switches. If you ever want to add anything, you'll be glad those switches are there.

Yes, tow cameras are a game changer. Make sure this includes the 360 degree cameras for non-towing driving. Huge, huge, huge.

SiriusXM is a raging dumpster fire. Glad you like it ... the first thing I did with FORScan was to completely remove it from my audio selections.

Camper package will get you a rear stabilizer bar, so go with that. Skip the plow. For a gasser, you don't want the 5,990 lb springs.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Joshua Peyer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PentaPop
I tow a travel trailer with my new 6.2 and it does very well. I’m kinda excited to see the details on the 7.3 too. One thing that I really like about the long box is the 48 gallon tank. These things drink a lot of gas while towing and having a large fuel tank keeps the stops to a minimum.
I’ll second the 6.2 drinking gas towing. I will be getting a 2020 350/450 cclb to upgrade my 2017 250 ccsb mainly due to the fuel tank size , small bed , payload. First truck mistakes. Oh well. We’ll see about 7.3 or 6.7 after Texas state fair.. I drive a 2018 3500 Chevy diesel for work so I see the draw.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:15 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
The 2020 order guide isn't even out yet ,or is it?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 AM
TJP249
Tuned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The 2020 order guide isn't even out yet ,or is it?
No they are not out yet, but OP did say he built it as a 19 for now.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 AM
johntd
New User
Originally Posted by Joe T
You can also get adaptive steering and heated rear seats..
adaptive steering seems overkill to me, i have never had a complaint about regular old power steering, maybe it is one of those things you don't know you need until you try it.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 AM
johntd
New User
Originally Posted by PentaPop
One thing that I really like about the long box is the 48 gallon tank. These things drink a lot of gas while towing and having a large fuel tank keeps the stops to a minimum.
This is interesting, how do i find out little details like this. I would love a long range rig.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:48 AM
johntd
New User
Originally Posted by Joe T
Also unless you are plowing I would skip the camper/plow package gas f350.
What about just the camper prep?

Old 07-17-2019, 12:55 AM
johntd
New User
Originally Posted by 67L48
MPG gains while towing is a pretty poor reason to upgrade. Going bigger will get you more stability, better control, and other driveability/ease of use benefits. Fuel economy improvements will be slight, if anything. You're towing a big box. You're going to get crap fuel economy. V8, ecoboost, 6.7 diesel, monster 7.3 gasser, whatever. 7-12 mpg across the board.

If you think the moonroof is expensive now, wait until you have to fix it ... and you'll probably have to fix it.

SiriusXM is a raging dumpster fire. Glad you like it ... the first thing I did with FORScan was to completely remove it from my audio selections.

Camper package will get you a rear stabilizer bar, so go with that. Skip the plow. For a gasser, you don't want the 5,990 lb springs.
The ecoboost mpg for me has been absolutely horrendous pulling my trailer. I am expecting double the fuel economy, maybe triple if I went with the diesel, but I am not sure what the 7.3 engine's MPG will come in at. But you are right the F150 feels topped out towing what I have and the F350 is going to be much more confident on the road.

I have never had problems with moonroofs but I may be the lucky one.

Curious, What is your issue with Sirius. I am an MLB fan and love listening to baseball wherever i go. I also love that anywhere I go I can get some stations.

Good point on the camper and plow.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:01 AM
Fordplatty15
Senior User
Originally Posted by TJP249
No they are not out yet, but OP did say he built it as a 19 for now.
Which means nothing since nobody knows how Ford is going to package anything together or limit options.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:44 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I have decided to order a 2020 F350 to replace my 2016 F150 I currently own, primarily due to MPG when towing my 7000 lb bumper pull trailer. Otherwise the F150 ecoboost has been pretty fantastic.
I am someone that encourages everyone to purchase new trucks as often as possible, and post pictures but if this is your main reason for a new truck, kind of doubt you are going to be happy with the 7.3L or any new truck.

Bruce...

Quick Reply: 2020 F350 Build