Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Finally happened, broke down

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Finally happened, broke down

Guess it's bound to happen to all of us sooner or later. Started losing power, hooked up torque pro while still moving. IPR real high, 60 plus percent. HPO low, less than 1000 and down to 400s at idle. While limping along if I let all the way off the throttle then it would spike to 1200 and roll back. Pulled into a parking lot thinking maybe ICP bad and PCM not fueling. Figure I'll unplug it and see what happens. Truck died.
Unplugged ICP anyway. HPO default pressure at 3000, no start. Plugged back in. Checked oil, full and clean. Checked IPR tin nut, tight. Don't think it's an IPR coil cause it didn't die quickly. Poured cold water on it anyway just in case. No change. Good fast crank but only 300 psi HPO.
Waiting for tow truck.

Question, where can I get fittings to dead head the HPOP oil lines so I can test the HPOP.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Can't be of any help but thanks for posting this. I will follow to see what the diagnosis is. Figure with over 250,000 miles my turn is coming probably sooner than later.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:47 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Paul, sorry to hear about your troubles. I just sent you a text letting you know that I have posted here with some information that may help.

I recently authored a thread about DIY HPOP and Injector O-Ring test kits.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...diy-style.html

The STC fittings can be acquired at most places that make/build hydraulic hoses or have Aeroquip fittings in stock. As you can see from the link above, I have provided the required part numbers and some of the sources.

If you think I can be of help, don't hesitate to say so and I will come down and give you a hand.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:57 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Thanks Sous, that will help. While waiting for the wrecker and after 20 minutes of cool down time I tried once more just in case. Long crank but she finally started. Called my friend, who thankfully owns the wrecker service and told them to stay home unless I called back. I limped it home, was only about 10 minutes away. All the way home high IPR, never less than 40 percent, and low HPO except when I let off it would spike. I saw high 2000s a couple of times so hopefully HPOP is ok.
Will follow up when I know more.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Keep us posted!

Did you happen to check the HPOP reservoir? You said you checked the oil, but you were probably referring to the pan.

You could visually inspect the fuel filter as well since it only takes a moment and is free.

Again, don't hesitate to ask questions, post theories or just a good old plea for help.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:25 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Sous
Keep us posted!

Did you happen to check the HPOP reservoir? You said you checked the oil, but you were probably referring to the pan.

You could visually inspect the fuel filter as well since it only takes a moment and is free.

Again, don't hesitate to ask questions, post theories or just a good old plea for help.
Haven't checked the HPOP res yet. Was still dressed in office clothes and figured I'd wait till it was towed home for any serious wrenching. I did notice while cranking that low press oil did come up pretty quickly.

I would suspect an injector oring but injectors only have about 50k miles on them and were new Aliant's with OEM orings.

To hot to do much with now but will get on it in the AM.

Thanks for the offer to help as I know you mean it. Will try spare IPR in the morning and see what happens.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Haven't checked the HPOP res yet. Was still dressed in office clothes and figured I'd wait till it was towed home for any serious wrenching. I did notice while cranking that low press oil did come up pretty quickly.

I would suspect an injector oring but injectors only have about 50k miles on them and were new Aliant's with OEM orings.

To hot to do much with now but will get on it in the AM.

Thanks for the offer to help as I know you mean it. Will try spare IPR in the morning and see what happens.

Based on what your have said, things are pointing more toward the HPOP.

I am just a phone call away if you feel I can be of assistance. Even my wife said to make sure you know we are here if you need us. Besides, I still owe you a favor.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:39 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Is CNC fab still the current favorite?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:42 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Besides, I still owe you a favor.
I was thinking you could just order yourself a new HPOP, pull yours off and bring it down here to put on mine tomorrow

Old 05-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Is CNC fab still the current favorite?
That will be my choice when my time comes. If Corey is not selling them at that time, I would go with a Bosch, which I am pretty certain is OEM.

I was thinking you could just order yourself a new HPOP, pull yours off and bring it down here to put on mine tomorrow

I would love to, but my retired budget would not allow for that. Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro

I would love to, but my retired budget would not allow for that. Keep us posted on what you find.
Can't believe your pulling the retired card. I would give you my core

HPOP res is full.

Went to CNC FAB website and got IM back from Corey within 10 minutes, they have stage 1s in stock.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Can't believe your pulling the retired card. I would give you my core

HPOP res is full.

Went to CNC FAB website and got IM back from Corey within 10 minutes, they have stage 1s in stock.
Corey is great to deal with, just like Clay.

Let us know if the spare IPR changes anything, but it sounds like your HPOP died for some reason.

If you need a hand installing it, shoot me a text ahead of time.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...I would suspect an injector oring but injectors only have about 50k miles on them and were new Aliant's with OEM orings...
I double-down on the suspicion of O-rings. Things easily go sideways when inserting the injectors, and a rolled O-ring is nothing rare - particularly that squared O-ring.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I double-down on the suspicion of O-rings. Things easily go sideways when inserting the injectors, and a rolled O-ring is nothing rare - particularly that squared O-ring.

I can't see this being the cause..

Very curious though

Kyle

Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
HPOP is your sure bet would be my guess. 300 at cranking is what I have seen on 3 trucks with a failed HPOP. And YES, they do fail. Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: Finally happened, broke down