2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F250 PSD Buying Input

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Joemannnnn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 PSD Buying Input

I posted a thread looking for some input on a tow rig. I wanted to start a separate thread specific to an option I'm considering. That is the 250psd. It's probably overkill, but I made the mistake of driving one today.

Here's where I'm at... I'm wanting to update. I have about 25k in trade value, and was originally looking to spend around 45-50k on a new 150. My research and some input from others has me considering the 250 now.

I feel I have 3 options based on my payload. F150 lariat with hd payload. There is one within 300 miles and my dealer did not get a call back from that dealer today. A 250 gasser and 250psd round out my options.

Went to the dealer today to see these options. I drove the lariat gasser first and then the diesel. They were shorter rides, the salesman's typical loop. To be honest, the 6.2 didn't wow me. I think I prefer my eco boost in terms of pick up and responsiveness so to speak.

The diesel was nice, but I wasn't necessarily blown away. I think the limited route and traffic didn't help.

We went back to the office and mulled over the 3 options. I was offered the opportunity to take something home for a few days. Unfortunately the 150 is in SC, so that's not an option. I'd love to see and drive that. The gasser was I guess what I expected, didn't feel the urge to spend more time with that. I decided to spend more time with the diesel. This was a mistake.

Traffic going home was a nightmare at rush hour. I had a little bit of crawling, stop and go, crossing 4 lanes in stopped traffic, highway driving, and even crusing the subdivision with the family when I got home. I really was impressed by how it drove and responded in traffic. I averaged 19mpg in my 1hr commute. Probably 30 minutes in traffic and 30 on the highway cruising around 70.

To be honest, I think it rode better than my current f150. I'm sure my level and ko2s don't help. It was certainly quieter than my truck too. I've heard about the stiffer ride of a 250, but I didn't really feel it. I only really noticed anything at slow speed, pulling in and out of a parking lot, or my slightly abrupt driveway connection to the street. That was more rigid for sure.

The catch is this diesel is a used 18 with 43,000 miles. This bugs me, but a used option is really the only way I can justify the diesel. I will say it shows new. No bed liner and hardly a scuff back there. The F150 is shaping up to be just under 50k, if it even is available. This diesel is around 50k, and the gasser is 52k. All lariat base models. My salesman looked up the diesel history and it was a trade in. It was traded for a 19. He then called the salesman for that deal and was told the owner was a friend of the gm and buys a new truck every year.

I attached the original window sticker. Let me know your thoughts on this in general, the options, etc. What's it worth you think?

Also, the warranty is only listed at 60k on powertrain in the window sticker. I thought it was 100k for the psd? Can anyone confirm.

They have a platinum coming available that's white, 37k miles, original sticker price is 10k more, but they're asking about 8k more now. I think that's a bit too much for me. But that's their only other option. There's a few others with some upper teens and mid 20s at other dealers with prices listed in more 60s. A few seem to have a few more options, moon roof, 360 cam, etc. But it's going to run me 10k more based on current availability.

One nice thing is I don't drive too many miles. Even with 43k on this truck, my guess is I'll still run out of years before miles on the powertrain. However, it's already got 3 years at my pace. Bumper to bumper is already gone...

Appreciate any input in the event I go this way.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks like you have some decisions to make. Used diesel is tricky especially since you're over that 36K number where you can't add an extended through ford.

I am not seeing the sticker attached to see if the $50k is a decent price but I know for a fact these trucks hold their value!!

matt

Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Joemannnnn
New User
Originally Posted by mattymax
Looks like you have some decisions to make. Used diesel is tricky especially since you're over that 36K number where you can't add an extended through ford.

I am not seeing the sticker attached to see if the $50k is a decent price.

matt
Crap, was my first question for the salesman tomorrow, extending cost....

I guess I've been spoiled without any warranty issues in the past, but this is a bunch of money to be dropping. Problem is there aren't too many light used options. New I'm looking mid 60 for a lariat.

Sticker is indeed not working, maybe not enough posts? I'll try on pc tomorrow

Old 12-18-2018, 05:01 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
You can add an extended warranty after 36k.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 AM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyE
You can add an extended warranty after 36k.
I thought you can't. Or maybe its just a lot more $$

Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
A f250 with the PSD has only about 2100 worth of payload, check the yellow door sticker. A 6.2 gasser with the 4.30 gears has lots of zip. Is mpg a concern?

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by mattymax
I thought you can't. Or maybe its just a lot more $$
My understanding is that there is an inspection process involved. I don't think it's more money. The purchase could be contingent on that inspection passing. All this could be worked out with the dealer.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Joemannnnn
New User
Originally Posted by 7591250sd
A f250 with the PSD has only about 2100 worth of payload, check the yellow door sticker. A 6.2 gasser with the 4.30 gears has lots of zip. Is mpg a concern?
This truck has just over 2,200 lbs per the sticker. It's plenty for my needs. Between my tongue weight, passengers, gear, I'm figuring around 1,400lbs.

My dealer sells a fair amount of the gassers and he was really high on them. But they only carry them through the xlt package mainly. I'd really prefer the base lariat for sync3, climate, and some other goodies. They had 1 on the lot with that setup, only had the 3.73 gear and it drove fine, but wasn't anything special I guess. As far as mpg, nothing will be great, but I'd prefer to get a bit more I suppose.