2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Forscan adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:01 AM
Mlambert22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forscan adaptor

Forscan's site warns of using the wrong adapter..

What one(s) are you guys using?

Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts
Amazon Amazon

I initially ordered the MX version from OBDLink and it was defective. If you read reviews you will find that defects and failures are a common issue. I'm still looking for an adaptor that will work with my iPhone or iPad that I can leave in the port.
For Forscan it's hard to beat the one above. It's cheap and works as it is supposed to work. Of course mine was wired backwards to the HS/MS switch had to be operated exactly opposite of the instructions. Took me some time to figure that out. Probably a one in a million oversight but that would be the one I got...

Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM
ForeverFixing
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought this one from Amazon and it has been working well for me.

bbfly-BB77102 Bluetooth modified Android OBD Scan Tool FORScan ELMconfig FOCCCUS OBD2 HS-CAN / MS-CAN

Bluetooth adapter for my PC also.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,740 Likes on 1,330 Posts
Old 10-15-2018, 04:39 PM
davew593
Junior User
Forgive me I'm challenged with computers..... I have been searching for one that is compatible with mac, is there such thing? All the models that people post on here say that they are for use with windows. If I get one for my mac will it be compatible with the forscan pages that are posted on the forum?

Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM
D3thM3tal
Tuned
Ordered a few and didn't work, this one did.

Amazon Amazon

OHP ELMconfig Elm327 OBD2 USB Diagnostics Adapter Code Reader (HS-CAN/MS-CAN Switch) - Forscan Compatible - Ford/Mazda Car Models - Windows

Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM
D3thM3tal
Tuned
Originally Posted by ForeverFixing
I bought this one from Amazon and it has been working well for me.

bbfly-BB77102 Bluetooth modified Android OBD Scan Tool FORScan ELMconfig FOCCCUS OBD2 HS-CAN / MS-CAN

Bluetooth adapter for my PC also. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got a bad adapter from these guys - didn't work

Not to say it won't for you, just what I experienced...

Old 10-15-2018, 08:17 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KCRebel
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I initially ordered the MX version from OBDLink and it was defective. If you read reviews you will find that defects and failures are a common issue.
I've had mine for over a year with my F350 and a year before with my F150. Left it in 100% of the time. Never had an issue. Don't agree with your "defects and failures are a common issue" with this. In fact, I've personally never read about ONE on here.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:26 PM
cmitter250
Freshman User
Thumbs up

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJL31Z7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJL31Z7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used this adaptor last weekend. I have a MacBook Pro running windows 10. I had no problems connecting my iPhone or iPod using FORScan lite app.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:34 PM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Originally Posted by roadpilot
I've had mine for over a year with my F350 and a year before with my F150. Left it in 100% of the time. Never had an issue. Don't agree with your "defects and failures are a common issue" with this. In fact, I've personally never read about ONE on here.
RoadPilot, I don't make statements like the one above without facts to back them up. Glad you are having a great experience with yours. Wish I could say that for the rest of us who have had to return defective ones.
Here's the link where the negative reviews are overflowing:
Amazon Amazon

Here is a response from the Forscan helpdesk in regards to said crappy MX scanner and if there was a scanner on the market that worked with ios:

"Yes, it is a problem to find a good wireless scanner for iOS/Ford, because iOS doesn't support Bluetooth SPP profile (used in all ELM327 Bluetooth adapters), so you have to use WiFi or BLE. There are no known BLE devices that support MS-CAN. So the only option is WiFi. And yes, OBDLink MX is great adapter, but the WiFi version of it is a shame, because their WiFi chip is very unstable and doesn't work properly very often. This problem is known for several years already, but ScanTool doesn't try to fix it (for a reason that is unknown for us). So the only choice is ELM327 OHP with HS/MS switch.

Regards,
FORScan Team"

Let me know if you have any further issues with my statement of facts in regards to this MX scanner.

My goal is to help others learn what I'm learning. I'm here to help others not waste time and money on products that are more likely than not to work and share the information from tech guys that are way smarter than me.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 PM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Originally Posted by davew593
Forgive me I'm challenged with computers..... I have been searching for one that is compatible with mac, is there such thing? All the models that people post on here say that they are for use with windows. If I get one for my mac will it be compatible with the forscan pages that are posted on the forum?
Dave, in case you overlooked it in my response to RoadPilot above here is the response I got from the Forscan Help desk in regards to scanners that work with iOS:

"Yes, it is a problem to find a good wireless scanner for iOS/Ford, because iOS doesn't support Bluetooth SPP profile (used in all ELM327 Bluetooth adapters), so you have to use WiFi or BLE. There are no known BLE devices that support MS-CAN. So the only option is WiFi. And yes, OBDLink MX is great adapter, but the WiFi version of it is a shame, because their WiFi chip is very unstable and doesn't work properly very often. This problem is known for several years already, but ScanTool doesn't try to fix it (for a reason that is unknown for us). So the only choice is ELM327 OHP with HS/MS switch.

Regards,
FORScan Team"

That said the one mentioned just above I have not checked into but I will now. I hope I can find one that will work with my iPhone/ipad.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:03 AM
davew593
Junior User
Originally Posted by KCRebel
Dave, in case you overlooked it in my response to RoadPilot above here is the response I got from the Forscan Help desk in regards to scanners that work with iOS:

Regards,
FORScan Team"

That said the one mentioned just above I have not checked into but I will now. I hope I can find one that will work with my iPhone/ipad.
Thanks for your informative response. I appreciate it.