Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My truck will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Darkwonderbread
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck will not start

I started my truck in the morning and went back inside to let it warm up, after coming back outside it was off and i have not been able to get it started since. replaced cam position sensor, the IPR, Fuelfilter, all fuses are working fine. fuel bowl fills up when key is cycling, hpop has oil. Wait to star comes on every time, but it cranks over fast. Both uvc gaskets were replace about 3 years ago, oil is full fuel is above 3/4. ICP is disconnected and still no start. no check engine light and i had someone check it with a snapon scanner and he was not able to pull any codes
I`m stumped, if you could help me in the comments that would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:44 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Can you monitor ICP while you are attempting to start? Keep battery voltage up.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:55 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like no oil from the HPOP, does check end light come on with key on? does tack jump while cranking? could be a bad IDM. need to hookup scanner, never mind codes you need to see data, ficm volts at 48 ect..

Old 04-17-2018, 07:59 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
As mentioned you need a way to monitor values now. Need to see if it's building ICP oil press and it would be nice to be able to do a buzz test to see if injectors are firing.

Do you have a chip of any kind? if so disconnect and try again. Are you seeing any smoke during cranking?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Bingo!!! NICE SENDING REPS!!!! data is more valuable than codes!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Darkwonderbread
Freshman User
batteries are charged, don`t have a scanner and don`t know how to monitor icp. HPOP has oil in the reservoir, no check engine light. RPM`s are cranking, new CAM positioning center. no smoke in the exhaust. Why would it be a bad IDM and how can i test it? and injectors are not firing.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Its time for you to get some tools for diagnosing. See this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-cheap.html
if you have an Android phone you can get an OBD2 adapter for about $30 and an application for about five bucks and you'll be able to monitor oil pressures, voltage, and temperatures as well as run a buzz test which will tell you if your IDM is good

Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Kratos Spartican
New User
Ok did u change both filters , plus did u try to see what happens if u run it off starter fluid for a min just keep tapping fluid in it to see if it will run sometimes doing this can push a clog out, honestly tho it sounds like the ipr is dead or the hpp is dead these r very simple u need fuel , fuel pressure, compression ,
u say u have fuel ok but do we have the pressure, also on these u can unplug the cam sensor n still run it’s crank sensor u should check also, I would also make sure the cam sensor is seated right some have issue with this , lastly but I doubt this the fuel pressure regulator. Feel free to email me lostspartanx09@gmail.com

Old 04-19-2018, 02:06 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Did you just seriously just suggest starting fluid?
NEVER do that on our diesels, troubleshoot correctly. Maybe on a crappy lawnmower, and even then using carb cleaner as the "starting fluid"

Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 AM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
What year is the truck?
Possible bad fuel bowl heater...?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:26 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Darkwonderbread
batteries are charged, don`t have a scanner and don`t know how to monitor icp. HPOP has oil in the reservoir, no check engine light. RPM`s are cranking, new CAM positioning center. no smoke in the exhaust. Why would it be a bad IDM and how can i test it? and injectors are not firing.
No check engine light, there should be one, check all your fuses and relays???

Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Kratos Spartican
New User
A dead heater would not stop it from running it would give it a horrible start, I’m not saying spray a ton of starting fluid but hit with a little bit to see if wants to run, plus if he changed the injectors how do u think u will get it started turn it over for two hours? Starting fluid is not that bad if used correctly.
Oh and hey bub pretty stupid we did not ask this before how did the truck run before this happened did it have a hard start , smoke , run like **** ? N now when it runs does it really start normal or does fight u n does it smoke at all, and are u aware of a tuner or such, and unless u have a active data scanner so u can do a koer test or at least a koeo test to tell u if a connector or sensor died, with fords u will not get any codes quick on fords like this u can unplug stuff n not get a code until u do a drive cycle ford is stupid like that with this,

Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
DO NOT use starter fluid, PERIOD. Bad suggestion...

OP, you have been helped with some great advice thus far. Check your pigtail going to the IPR. Wiggle it and see if it starts. If it does, wiggle and see if it quits. Pigtails get corroded form years of heat and Diesel fuel. Also, your IDM could have water in it...bad IDM. injectors not firing either points to IDM or possible IPR issue.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Kratos Spartican
A dead heater would not stop it from running it would give it a horrible start, I’m not saying spray a ton of starting fluid but hit with a little bit to see if wants to run, plus if he changed the injectors how do u think u will get it started turn it over for two hours? Starting fluid is not that bad if used correctly.
Oh and hey bub pretty stupid we did not ask this before how did the truck run before this happened did it have a hard start , smoke , run like **** ? N now when it runs does it really start normal or does fight u n does it smoke at all, and are u aware of a tuner or such, and unless u have a active data scanner so u can do a koer test or at least a koeo test to tell u if a connector or sensor died, with fords u will not get any codes quick on fords like this u can unplug stuff n not get a code until u do a drive cycle ford is stupid like that with this,
Dude, just stop already. How do you get the injectors to fire? Starting fluid? Seriously or are you just having fun? Might wanna read up a little more on the 7.3...

Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 AM
DogRidesInBack
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck came with several cans of starter fluid. PO used it to start the truck on cold mornings. Did some reading, and it is sitting on a shop shelf. My truck just needed a new GPR.

So that does lead to an important point, starter fluid combined with working glow plugs can blow holes in the tops of pistons. I'll never take the chance even with glow plugs disconnected; there are other safer ways to diagnose these problems.

I get the point of seeing if a tiny amount of ether will make the engine kick, but a tiny kick is not going to fill the injectors and get the engine running.

Quick Reply: My truck will not start