Sponsored by: Moser

Transmission alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Jarbl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission alignment

I'm trying to reinstall my T-18 to my 302 and am having some issues. I plan on going down and getting some bolts to use as alignment studs today to help but I have other questions:

I think I may have bumped the clutch disc out of alignment a little because the tool doesn’t slide in and out easily anymore. Can I put the tool back in and have someone push the clutch in slightly to loosen it up enough to move it back in to alignment?

I’m having some trouble getting the release bearing aligned to the shaft when installing the transmission. Would it be easier to install the bell housing on to the transmission then do that as one part?

I'm doing this with the engine in the truck without a lift. I do have an improvised transmission jack.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:48 AM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarbl
I'm trying to reinstall my T-18 to my 302 and am having some issues. I plan on going down and getting some bolts to use as alignment studs today to help but I have other questions:

I think I may have bumped the clutch disc out of alignment a little because the tool doesn’t slide in and out easily anymore. Can I put the tool back in and have someone push the clutch in slightly to loosen it up enough to move it back in to alignment?

I’m having some trouble getting the release bearing aligned to the shaft when installing the transmission. Would it be easier to install the bell housing on to the transmission then do that as one part?

I'm doing this with the engine in the truck without a lift. I do have an improvised transmission jack.
Here's what I would do, loosen the clutch to flywheel bolts (a little at at time I believe there is a sequence to this) so the clutch Disc becomes loose. Install the alignment tool to centre the disc. Relighted clutch to flywheel bolts. Now I believe you should be able to remove the tools and the disc should stay centered. Now you should be able to bolt up the bellhousing to the engine with the throwout bearing and clutch fork. Now you should be able to slide the input shaft of the trans through the bellhousing and bolt up the trans. Hope this helps it's been awhile since I had a manual trans out.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:00 AM
JessyJ
Senior User
Jballon said it right. But that disc should not move if you torqued the pressure plate down proper.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Jarbl
Junior User
Originally Posted by JessyJ
Jballon said it right. But that disc should not move if you torqued the pressure plate down proper.
You’re right, it shouldn’t move unless you have a kid that messes with the clutch before you get the transmission installed. Grrrrr. I really don’t want to disassemble it again. Can I just use the clutch to relieve the pressure so I can align it again?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
You can definitely have someone release the clutch as you're sliding the tool, or even the transmission home.
That's how I always do it. It's a lot more work to remove things, loosen the bolts, re-align the clutch disc (and hope you get it right) and then put it all back together.

There are times when you have to dig back in, but the first thing to try is releasing the clutch while in place. Especially if the linkage is easy to re-connect, or you can get some leverage on the release lever/fork.

I did it once under my Bronco by pushing on the release lever with my foot. It was just enough to push the trans that last 1/2" home.

If yours is not even lining up with the bearing retainer however, you may have a more severe misalignment. Just how far were you able to engage things? It sounds like you should try the tool first, while someone releases some of the pressure on the disc. Then get it close enough to let the throwout bearing easily slide over the snout and cover.

I don't personally think I would bother trying to attach the bell housing to the transmission first, unless that seemed to be a last resort. Not that it could not be done that way. Just seems more awkward to work under a vehicle that way.
But hey, at this point you can try anything!

You do not even have to release the clutch completely. Pushing the lever/fork just enough to relieve some pressure on the disc does not take as much movement as you might think. I'm sure many clutches have different reactions to this, but all the ones I've done did not need to be fully released to let the trans slide right in.

Good luck.

Paul

Old 01-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Jarbl
Junior User
Thanks for the help.
The clutch alignment was visibly off. I got the tool in there as far as I could and released the clutch a little. That got it realigned.
I got the transmission close enough to thread in some 4.5 inch bolts to use as slides. After that it slid in to the last 1/2 inch. Replaced the bolts with stock bolts finger tight and released the clutch to get the last little bit.

Now to get the transmission mount in. I think I have to loosen the engine mounts and jack up the back of the transmission. Is there an easier way?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Glad you got it in that last bit. Always a satisfying thunk!
Not sure the best way to do the trans mounts, but it sounds like that's what you've got to do. Doubt there are too many different ways to skin that cat. So to speak...

But it's been a couple of days since I've been on here. Did you get it done?

Paul

Old 01-24-2018, 10:23 PM
Jarbl
Junior User
Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp
Glad you got it in that last bit. Always a satisfying thunk!
Not sure the best way to do the trans mounts, but it sounds like that's what you've got to do. Doubt there are too many different ways to skin that cat. So to speak...

But it's been a couple of days since I've been on here. Did you get it done?

Paul
Got it done. Didn’t have to loosen the engine mounts. There is enough play to slide it in and bolt it up.