1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Ideas on problems starting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by crucialprospect
So, bypass the solenoid with a 30 amp relay. The ignition signal opens a switch in the relay sending power to the starter. I can keep my wiring, still running a bus bar between the solenoid on the pmgr and the battery terminal on the starter.
Ok Time for Wiring diagrams

See below

Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you sir! Much clearer. And you personally recommend without start solenoid? Or is it 6 of one half dozen the other?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Thank you sir! Much clearer. And you personally recommend without start solenoid? Or is it 6 of one half dozen the other?

Ya it sort of 6 of one half dozen the other.

If you were going to install a PMGR starter and were not concerned with factory correct appearance. I would delete the start relay all together and Install the Bosch relay to switch the load/feed to the starter relay and here is why.

You eliminate the 2 battery cable terminal connections at the start relay. connections of potential issue.

You eliminate a high amp switch (starter relay), by keeping the starter relay you have 2 high amp switches in place. The one in the start relay and the one in the starter solenoid.
You eliminate the potential of slow starter disengagement due to back feeding on the PMGR starter. Not really an issue to be honest or something to worry about, but some worry about it.

The draw backs are you now need to extend or put a terminal block in place for the power feeds for the vehicle chassis wiring as they will no longer have the start relay in place to be fed from.

You have added an additional fuse and a Bosch relay both of which are points of failure but it can easily be by-passed if they crap out.

If you have the I terminal feed on the Start relay this will mean you will need a DPDT relay or a second standard relay for the ignition circuit. If you have that set up then it is probably better to keep the start relay in place.

You will need a 30A Bosch type relay, do not use one smaller.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:16 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Gotcha, may as well try the factory solenoid first then, I have already verified good wiring and connections. May as well use what's already there, I'll check voltage drop again, including across the solenoid.

Im also going to tinker some more with grounds, fender, body, chassis, engine.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:16 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Received 717 Likes on 577 Posts
New starter will be here tomorrow
It's tomorrow. Any update yet?

Old 01-20-2018, 02:23 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kr98664
It's tomorrow. Any update yet?
LOL Karl

Old 01-20-2018, 02:51 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by matthewq4b
LOL Karl
And I should point out this is NOT an unscrupulous attempt to run up the post count in this thread, just to see if we can set a record...

Old 01-20-2018, 06:37 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Delivery by 8:00, it's 7:30.....

Old 01-20-2018, 06:40 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
In other news....the government shut down.... and other than the first cold start this morning, it's been an absolute bear to start every since. There's gotta be something in the timing as well, maybe 50/50. Problem is, because it was recurved, the new dizzy won't let her back down to 8-10 degrees. I'm half tempered to put the old motorcraft stock one back in her to see what she does. I've never had a fit like I did today with starting it.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Originally Posted by kr98664
Yes. If the voltage to the electromagnet in the starter relay is weak, the contacts won't clamp together as tightly as possible. However, such a fault would have shown up when testing the voltage drop between the (+) battery post to the starter's (+) input.

You don't have to know exactly where it goes. That wire merely connects the battery's (+) post to the S terminal on the starter relay when the key is held to the start position. Just put your meter leads at those two points, key to start, and measure the voltage drop. Anything under 0.5VDC means the switch and related wiring is good.

Also check the negative side, too. The starter relay's actuating electromagnet is grounded through the inner fender, a sketchy path at best. Put your meter's black lead on the battery's (-) post. Put the red lead on the relay's mounting feet. Key to start, and measure the voltage under load. Once again, this voltage drop should be less than 0.5VDC.
Voltage drop from neg side of battery to one of the bolts holding solenoid to fender is .02When I connected the s post to the +battery it showed -12.8 trying to take video of when it's in the crank position because of lack of helpers.....

Old 01-20-2018, 07:08 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Holy cow! Disregard my last post.
From negative battery terminal to ground bolt is 1.5mv, from the block ground to the solenoid bolt, is .9mv

essentially my block isn't grounded to the fender?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
In other news....the government shut down.... and other than the first cold start this morning, it's been an absolute bear to start every since. There's gotta be something in the timing as well, maybe 50/50. Problem is, because it was recurved, the new dizzy won't let her back down to 8-10 degrees. I'm half tempered to put the old motorcraft stock one back in her to see what she does. I've never had a fit like I did today with starting it.
It may worth while giving that a try putting the stock one back in. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:17 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
Holy cow! Disregard my last post.
From negative battery terminal to ground bolt is 1.5mv, from the block ground to the solenoid bolt, is .9mv

essentially my block isn't grounded to the fender?
So I went from the block ground directly to the fender, now I show .2 from the neg battery terminal to the fender solenoid bolt, and still .2 from battery to block ground. Let's see what happens!P.s. I guess that starter isn't showing up today.....

Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 PM
crucialprospect
Elder User
So, to recap, Karl said, make sure the solenoid is grounded, well it is. To the fender. but what is the voltage drop at the fender? Entirely too much. So I grounded the fender to the block, now the solenoid is definitely grounded, basically to the negative side of the battery via the engine block.

Drive it to the gas station and it fired back up without a hiccup....

We may be onto something here, but if i can replicate this tomorrow driving the truck, mind you, it's still the direct drive Chinese starter..... we will see, but as for right now tonight, I'd say she is fixed.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 PM
kr98664
Lead Driver
So I went from the block ground directly to the fender, now I show .2 from the neg battery terminal to the fender solenoid bolt, and still .2 from battery to block ground.
Is that 0.2 volts, or 0.2 millivolts? In post #386, you stated millivolts. Just wanted to avoid any confusion.

If millivolts, that is virtually perfect. Pat yourself on the back and treat yourself to a good movie on Netflix. Maybe a personal favorite, Hot Rod. Brace yourself for some cinematic excellence:

If volts, that is okay, but could probably be better. Remember, the closer to zero the better. 0.2 volts (200 millivolts) would be okay on a long cable run, such as the big cable feeding the starter and handling hundreds of amps. For a much shorter run (the fender-mounted relay right next to the battery), handling a lot less current flow, you should be able to get the voltage drop down.

Quick Reply: Ideas on problems starting?