1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 F-2 :: New Member Intro

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM
tonyguns
Tuned
Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts
1949 F-2 :: New Member Intro

Hello All,

While I'm not new to forums or restoring cars to an extent, I am new to owning anything this old. I have a few questions for you all, but first let me tell you about the truck, and what I am hoping to get out of it.

I recently purchased what appears to be an unrestored one owner 1949 F-2 farm truck with some rust, but overall pretty solid where it counts. I don't have it home yet, but it's paid for, and on its way. My goal is to keep it pretty original if the flat-head V8 is rebuildable, and initially get it running and driving forst and foremost. I may restore the exterior in the future, but for now I love the old, worn and well used appearance. It's earned every stripe, and I think it's cool, just needs a little cleanup and patch work here and there.

My questions are:

1. I don't want to do a front end swap, I want to keep the front suspension stock, but add disk brakes and power steering to the original setup. What are the best components to accomplish this?

2. Is there an automatic transmission that can be adapted to the Flat-Head V8? I ask this because if I am not mistaken, these stock transmissions are of the double clutch, non-syncro variety, and generally not a lot of fun.

3. I want leather seat covers for the original bench seat, and add seat belts, is there a reasonable source for these types of items? I can re-upholster the seats myself if covers can be had at a reasonable price.

4. What rear axle would be best to upgrade the stock unit to given I have an F-2 and want to keep the original wheels?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions along the way and once I get the truck here, but I think this is a good start.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Farm fresh.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Speedway for disc swap stuff. Ford 9" rears are a good swap. My 48 F1 still has the drum brakes and no power steering on the original flat 6 cyl. Looks like you have a nice project!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Tony, welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the World wide Web!

Good start by showing us a picture of your truck, but now you have to show us more. You will get your answers here.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:34 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
Add my welcome. Glad to have another member saving a bigger model truck. To your questions.

1. I'm a stocker so know only superficially what I have read here on modifications. I know the front axle of an F-2/3 is the same as an F-1. I know there are 8 lug x 6.5" pattern hubs and disc brake kits made that accomplish this upgrade. The mention of Speedway is probably a good place to start looking. They will also perhaps have kits to allow installation of the Toyota power steering assembly that seems to be best suited to this conversion.

2. I've read of guys using the C4 automatic in these trucks, and a friend in the past installed an AOD in his later model. I'm sure you'll find kits that would facilitate this. If your truck is the 4 speed it is the non-synchro "Spur" gear variety. If it is a three speed it's the 3HD version that is synchro on 2nd and 3rd.

3. Companies like LaBaron Bonney sell OEM style upholstery kits. Another company that specializes in interiors is Cartouche (sp?). I think other companies like Dennis Carpenter and Mid-Fifty also sell similar kits.

4. You are fortunate that you have the F-2 model that came with 16" one piece wheels having the 8 lug pattern. They are safe, and keeping them in service is an excellent plan. I would disagree on the use of a Ford 9" axle because it is a half ton axle having the 5 lug pattern. The best axle choice is a Dana 60 from a 1967 to 1972 F-250. It bolts right in, allows for a more road worthy 3.55/1 or 3.73/1 road gear, and has its parking brakes at the axle like your truck. Stu

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome to FTE and F-2 ownership.

First suggestion, include your location in your profile so it shows up with your posts. Some of us have spare parts that might help you if you are close enough.

1a. I agree with keeping the stock suspension. Since it is the same axles, spindles, and steering box for F-1 to F-3 trucks most of the components between the steering wheel and spindles that are sold for an F-1 will work on your truck. I don't worry about power steering myself so I can't help you on that. I'm more of an armstrong steering with air conditioning guy myself.

1b. A disk brake kit is available from this company and there are two threads talking about installing it here and here. You can also DIY as shown here.

2. As Stu mentioned the most common transmission is the four speed crash box. If you are just looking to get away from double clutching there are lots of options including the somewhat rare factory synchronized three and four speed transmissions. If you are interested in these we can post links to other threads with lots of information. Otherwise paying for the AOD adapter and a 4.11 axle ratio probably get you where you want to be.

3. I haven't messed with upholstery. I know the factory type brown vinyl is available reproduction. I would find it odd to see a truck with old paint and a new leather seat. Just my opinion.

4. I think the best upgrade is the stock axle. Get Chuck's 4.11 ratio kit, install it, and drive. The other option is as Stu mentioned, a Dana 60 from a late 50s through 1972 F-250.

Here is my F-2

Old 08-19-2017, 07:56 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Welcome to the board fellow '49 F-2 owner.

I personally like the crash box, it adds character to the truck. It can be a pain in fast traffic because you have to patient and can't power shift it through the gears but once you master the procedure it's not too bad.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:23 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to FTE. There are lots of us that have done what you are planning. I would suggest that you learn how to use the Forum search tool as there are lots of pictures and sourcing information links that will help you.

IMO the short answer to your first post is:
  1. Keep the front suspension but replace the springs with new ones from Posies. They come with new bushings. Check the steering parts for play and replace worn parts as necessary (pay close attention to the steering box as many are worn out). Most everything is available. As 76_5.0 noted Speedway is a good source for front disc brakes. You will need a different master cylinder/booster, CPP has a good kit.
  2. I went with a modern 4R70W automatic. It is electronic with no fussy mechanical linkage to the throttle. It has a 30% overdrive built in. Lokar shifters were my choice. You will need to cut out all but the left side of your current crossmember (for brake pedal support) and buy or build a rear crossmember.
  3. Lots of sources for seat cover material. I had mine done locally but not cheap. You will be $$$ ahead if you find a good seat in a salvage yard. Lots will fit. You will find many choices listed by members here on FTE. Upholstery work is not cheap.
  4. Like others on here I went with an 8.8" axle from an Explorer. Be sure to make that choice before you purchase your master cylinder because there is a difference between Disc/Drum and Disc/Disc M/C kits.

The details of all of these changes are contained in posts on this forum just use the forum search tool. Good luck and make sure that you post lots of pictures if you want good help.

-

Old 08-19-2017, 02:29 PM
tonyguns
Tuned
Originally Posted by petemcl
Welcome to FTE. There are lots of us that have done what you are planning. I would suggest that you learn how to use the Forum search tool as there are lots of pictures and sourcing information links that will help you.

IMO the short answer to your first post is:
  1. Keep the front suspension but replace the springs with new ones from Posies. They come with new bushings. Check the steering parts for play and replace worn parts as necessary (pay close attention to the steering box as many are worn out). Most everything is available. As 76_5.0 noted Speedway is a good source for front disc brakes. You will need a different master cylinder/booster, CPP has a good kit.
  2. I went with a modern 4R70W automatic. It is electronic with no fussy mechanical linkage to the throttle. It has a 30% overdrive built in. Lokar shifters were my choice. You will need to cut out all but the left side of your current crossmember (for brake pedal support) and buy or build a rear crossmember.
  3. Lots of sources for seat cover material. I had mine done locally but not cheap. You will be $$$ ahead if you find a good seat in a salvage yard. Lots will fit. You will find many choices listed by members here on FTE. Upholstery work is not cheap.
  4. Like others on here I went with an 8.8" axle from an Explorer. Be sure to make that choice before you purchase your master cylinder because there is a difference between Disc/Drum and Disc/Disc M/C kits.

The details of all of these changes are contained in posts on this forum just use the forum search tool. Good luck and make sure that you post lots of pictures if you want good help.

-
Thanks everyone for your valuable input, i really like most of the options especially the modern transmission option, is there a How-To on that? I am a moderator on another forum where we have a full How-To section with individual threads for each different project, so I'm still finding it tricky to find things here. As I start digging into the truck I'll more than likely perform a search and ask for help with links where necessary.

To sum up, it sounds(and looks, thanks for the amazing pic of your setup by the way) like I'll probably look into these options for improved driveability:

1. Keep stock frontvsuspension, upgrade/replace all worn parts
2. Go with the Toyota steering setup(More questions on that later)
3. Research and source the parts for the 4R70W automatic
4. possibly retain the rear axle, but go with a different gear ratio rebuild.
5. Upgrade the electrical system to modern 12 volt.
6. Find someone to make me leather seat covers.

A few of you might find this odd, but I have really good logic behind this. first, I like the original bench seat, it's just flippin' cool, secondly, leather is very durable unlike vinyl, and can last for years, and lastly, I may perform a mild interior cleanup/restoration simply to enjoy it on the inside the way the original owner did when he bought it new. I like the sweaty, well worn exterior, but on the inside, I wouldn't mind a little heat protection, and sound deadening. I plan on driving this truck as it was intended. nothing against new trucks, but why not have something awesome with heritage to use instead of a new truck.

By the way, I will post pics, I tend to be a pic *****(google search "CRX SIR N14") That was a ground up show car I built several years ago that made into a national magazine, so expect a lot more, and keep your ideas and suggestions coming, or post some pics of your own here to give me more ideas, that was really helpful!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:31 PM
tonyguns
Tuned
Hello all, I'm finally able to start my project, really excited to get her running again. A couple of things have been sorted on what direction I'm going with the project. I am having a significant amount of trouble finding information related to my specific build, I'll list a few things I'm hoping to accomplish and ask that anyone who has a great link on a how-to for these I'd be very grateful.

1. purchased and doing the frame mounted brake booster upgrade for front disc, rear drum. a good write up on this would be so helpful.
2. complete 302 with AOD transmission swap into the truck, the old flattie was left out to rust for way too long, and I'm not entirely sure the block was usable anyway. The 302 still needs a full rebuild, the transmission, while not my first choice was completely rebuilt by a local professional Ford AOD expert. Any how-tos on this swap would be very helpful!

That's where I am at the moment, getting ready for the teardown so I can clean up the frame rails and do a general overhaul of the suspension. as always, thanks for any help, insight, or direction you can provide!

Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hi Tony, something I can add is that you should plan the parking brake set-up carefully at this point. It will be so much easier to do with nothing in the way in case fabrication and alternate routing is needed. Tom

Old 11-14-2018, 09:59 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Tony, welcome to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web!

You've come to the right place for help. I can't help you with any of this since I have a 54 and a 55 but there are a lot of helpful guys here that will help. In the mean time use the advanced search on the 48 to 56 forum or try Google and when a FTE link pops up, click on it.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyguns
Hello all, I'm finally able to start my project, really excited to get her running again. A couple of things have been sorted on what direction I'm going with the project. I am having a significant amount of trouble finding information related to my specific build, I'll list a few things I'm hoping to accomplish and ask that anyone who has a great link on a how-to for these I'd be very grateful.

1. purchased and doing the frame mounted brake booster upgrade for front disc, rear drum. a good write up on this would be so helpful.
2. complete 302 with AOD transmission swap into the truck, the old flattie was left out to rust for way too long, and I'm not entirely sure the block was usable anyway. The 302 still needs a full rebuild, the transmission, while not my first choice was completely rebuilt by a local professional Ford AOD expert. Any how-tos on this swap would be very helpful!

That's where I am at the moment, getting ready for the teardown so I can clean up the frame rails and do a general overhaul of the suspension. as always, thanks for any help, insight, or direction you can provide!
Hi Tony. You sent me a visitor message on this. Sorry that I was so slow responding but I had trouble finding your first message. Here is the link to a post that I did about adding the CPP booster/dual chamber master cylinder to my F2. If you have an F1 it is a little easier but a similar process without the bracket modifications. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14881180

Old 11-15-2018, 10:59 AM
tonyguns
Tuned
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Hi Tony, something I can add is that you should plan the parking brake set-up carefully at this point. It will be so much easier to do with nothing in the way in case fabrication and alternate routing is needed. Tom
This is really good advice, I'll be doing that for sure.

Originally Posted by abe
Tony, welcome to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web!
You've come to the right place for help. I can't help you with any of this since I have a 54 and a 55 but there are a lot of helpful guys here that will help. In the mean time use the advanced search on the 48 to 56 forum or try Google and when a FTE link pops up, click on it.
I'm going to try this thanks! I'm a mod on another forum and we have a dedicated "How-To" section, I'd love to see that here.

Originally Posted by petemcl
Hi Tony. You sent me a visitor message on this. Sorry that I was so slow responding but I had trouble finding your first message. Here is the link to a post that I did about adding the CPP booster/dual chamber master cylinder to my F2. If you have an F1 it is a little easier but a similar process without the bracket modifications. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14881180
No worries, thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate the link.

I'll start posting up pictures as soon as I get a little progress rolling. as I stand now, I've got the truck rolled into the shop preparing to start initial tear down. That's how I plan to spend this weekend and the thanksgiving break.