Sponsored by:

Headlights & Taillights Suggestion-Suprise

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM
EXcopilot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights & Taillights Suggestion-Suprise

First post here. My husband has taken our Excursion into the shop to have some repairs done. I thought about having the mechanic install new headlights and taillights as a surprise for my husband. I've tried to research but I don't know much about them. I've found these: SPYDER PRO-YD-FF25099-1P-G2-CCFL-BK- halogen bulb, ccfl halos, 4.5 star review, projector and a bright black shade

and these for taillights: IPCW LEDT-502CB- 4.5 stars reviews, a vibrant black shade and led bulb Haven't decided between the Black or the Ruby Red. His Excursion is black and he's always liked the blackout look.

Any suggestions? If I got the above is there anything else I'd need to purchase or does it come with everything?

If anyone has pictures of their Excursion with what they are suggesting that would be great.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:40 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had something similar to the front headlights on my EX when I got them, they came out pretty quick. The lighting was terrible.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
As indicated by Art, stick with OEM...for the headlights.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most aftermarket housings don't do a good job retracting the light like the oem housings do. And a true hid should only be used in a projector housing.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
I have those tail lights and like them in the ruby red. It's a dark red so I think it goes well even for a smoked theme but without getting bothered by the cops.

I used to have very similar headlights. I do not recommend them. They're pretty mickey-mouse in construction and the components they use. They also look pretty bad IMO. They worked O.K. with HIDs in them but the optics really aren't very good.
They made my excursion cry. But different strokes for different folks!

Now I have aftermarket Harley-Davidson style with HID projectors "retrofit" inside of them (guy on the forum here does them) and they look so much better. For the turn signal I used an LED bulb that has a white running light but amber blinker.

Anyway hope that helps!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:17 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Does have any experience or comments about these LED replacement bulbs?
There's a good description of this one on Amazon.
They have a pigtail not shown in the pics that plugs into the existing connector, aluminum heat sinks and fans.

AUXITO Automobile 9007 Hi/Lo LED Headlight Bulb

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM
5.9and6.0
Freshman User
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
Does have any experience or comments about these LED replacement bulbs?
There's a good description of this one on Amazon.
They have a pigtail not shown in the pics that plugs into the existing connector, aluminum heat sinks and fans.

AUXITO Automobile 9007 Hi/Lo LED Headlight Bulb
I'm going with VLEDS pretty good price and can order LED for all the lights in the Excursion.
http://www.vleds.com

Old 08-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.9and6.0
I'm going with VLEDS pretty good price and can order LED for all the lights in the Excursion.
VLEDS
"Bulbs" for '05 (H13) are $175 a pair. You getting a price I am not seeing? Cuz that isn't a good price in my book

Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with Mecdac. I tried LEDs and realized they were bright as hell but I couldn't see as well. Light gets shot all over the place and they tend to blind other drivers. You have to have a housing specifically for LED bulbs. I've been blinded enough on the dark roads in MT that I have developed a lot of empathy for my fellow drivers.PIAA makes an extremely bright Halogen which out rates all the other bulbs. Combining low beams with fog lights actually gives you the best vision

Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
I have had an HID light kit I bought 3 or 4 years ago from Retro Solutions that have been sitting on the shelf. That's what was recommended by a lot of guys at the time. I know the HID bulb kits in the OEM headlamp housing has been a topic of controversy. I finally installed the kit recently. I have a 2005 and I was able to aim the headlights properly and there is a very nice cutoff, better than stock bulbs. I don't see much scatter at all, very good light. I did aim the driver side down a bit. I have the 50000K lights and they are so much better that the stock bulbs. I've tested by driving by the Ex at night in another car and they seem fine. I've not been flashed yet. The pattern seems good, I'm really pleased with them thus far. The kits was easy to install with the included wiring harness. I will post if anything changes, but right now, I do not believe they are blinding at all. I would get flashed occasionally with my stock lights and they were aimed down too far.