1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Photobucket no longer allows Image sharing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:47 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Photobucket no longer allows Image sharing

A couple of days ago Photobucket changed their policy regarding Sharing Images (image links). Any images you may have linked to from your free Photobucket account to this (or any other) forum will no longer display.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/

You can upload photos directly to this forum - which is preferred. But any links you may have embedded are now broken.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Name:  4.9%20emissions%20diagram.gif
Views: 188
Size:  110.2 KB

Let's try it. Seems to still be working if you can see that diagram above.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see your photo.

Are you a premium subscriber to Photobucket? If so, that would explain it.

I don't know if this change took effect everywhere - or if it only applies to new (or only old) embedded links. The Photobucket policy change was reported on the Bronco forum and the link they provided (to the PCMag article) looks valid. Other sources are reporting this too.

On this site, I just use the "Attachments" tool to upload my photos - so not a problem here.

I'll try to embed one below --

Old 07-03-2017, 05:42 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
It looks like this is true.

Here are links to old post using photo bucket images. Thats all I used to use before you could upload them directly to this site.
You also can not edit old posts to now upload the old image.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14157623

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7842627

Jim

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Was it a PB policy change or did they reorganize servers on there end that would also break the links?

I ask because I think some of the photos that were just put up also do not show.
Dave ----

Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 PM
MrFord619
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that was one hell of a greedy move from Photobucket. That immediately destroyed a lot of great and useful information on the internet. Also, this selfish move will hopefully put them out of business. I'm sure someone else in due time will open a free photo sharing website that will trounce Photobucket.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
I see your photo.

Are you a premium subscriber to Photobucket? If so, that would explain it.
No way, I am too cheap to do that.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
It looks like this is true.

Here are links to old post using photo bucket images. Thats all I used to use before you could upload them directly to this site.
You also can not edit old posts to now upload the old image.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14157623

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7842627

Jim
Jim, I just went to look at your links and 1 was from 2009 and the other from 2014.
It is not uncommon to see old (even a year old) links to not be good.

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Was it a PB policy change or did they reorganize servers on there end that would also break the links?

I ask because I think some of the photos that were just put up also do not show.
Dave ----
I may have lied as the above link are years old and I may not have seen newer ones that did not work?
Dave ----

Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 PM
rowdyredneck
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Odd...it seems to be working for me yet and I'm not a subscriber either. I have thousands of pictures on photobucket and its all I've ever used to post pictures here. I checked my older threads and the pics are still showing. I also just saved the pic Franklin2 posted above to my computer and uploaded it to my own account a few minutes ago and it shows up on here:

Name:  4.9%20emissions%20diagram.gif
Views: 130
Size:  110.2 KB

But, the pics aren't showing in this thread, and if I copy the image link address I get the same error:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tty-again.html

Old 07-04-2017, 06:34 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I thought I saw a new(er) post they did not work in.
I think the "owner" of the pictures in the newer post did something, maybe moved the album, and this is what broke the links.

Tlyus, what you do so we cant see "Big Ugly" pictures?
Dave ----

Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Mine still works

Name:  000_0283.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  146.3 KB

Old 07-04-2017, 10:30 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFord619
Well that was one hell of a greedy move from Photobucket. That immediately destroyed a lot of great and useful information on the internet. Also, this selfish move will hopefully put them out of business. I'm sure someone else in due time will open a free photo sharing website that will trounce Photobucket.
The IB folks (owner of this forum) told us mods of this situation this morning, this is happening and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

They recommend using FTE servers for picture hosting which i also generally recommend BUT any albums can be hard to manage after they grow to multi-page in size.

ImageShack did this same move several years ago.

Take a look at Imgur for image hosting but I have no idea for how long they will be around....

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Those "free" image services just screw everything up. The really cool thing about the internet right from the start has been the archiving of all kinds of forum discussions on almost any subject imagineable. These go back decades now. DIYers, hobbyists have a wealth of excellent information provided by talented people, but when all the photographs go bye-bye they are now pretty much worthless. "See here in this picture where this part is bad, I did this, this, and this, to repair/replace, make sure this doohickus isn't like that." Except now there is a big X or a blank spot where the pic used to be. *******.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:28 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
The really cool thing about the internet right from the start has been the archiving of all kinds of forum discussions on almost any subject imagineable. These go back decades now. DIYers, hobbyists have a wealth of excellent information provided by talented people
Cool indeed, but one of the hardest things to impart to posters who obviously don't care about how their posts are written (spelling, proofreading, etc). It's like there's no recognition of the difference between the stone permanent nature of forums and the ephemera of chat, text, social media, etc. Reminds me of what Homer Simpson once said - "Why should I go to English class? I'm never goin' to England!"

but when all the photographs go bye-bye they are now pretty much worthless. "See here in this picture where this part is bad, I did this, this, and this, to repair/replace, make sure this doohickus isn't like that." Except now there is a big X or a blank spot where the pic used to be. *******.
This is why IB's advice is the best - attach pictures directly to the forum's own site.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:17 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I just looked at one of my threads from 2008 when I put a motor in and had lots of pics....used photo bucket and all the pics are still there. Man it sure is nice to skip all that photo bucket stuff now.

Quick Reply: Photobucket no longer allows Image sharing