1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Can I install a 2006 e350 gas tank into a 1998 e250?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:02 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I install a 2006 e350 gas tank into a 1998 e250?

I am thinking this could be done, as I now have one on hand with straps and hoses that connect to the e350.
Looks like the evaporative canister at the back of the e350 is a lot larger than the '98 e250 one might be.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Here's some pics of the tank. I am certain the tank can be installed into the frame without any trouble. It's the Evaporative system I am wondering about. And the fact my van is CNG dedicated and doesn't have that stuff to begin with.

Attached Images       
Old 07-15-2016, 09:45 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
This was all the mechanical stuff I harvested off the 2006 e350 5.4L V8 model.

Last pic above is the very large evaporative canister and charcoal filter housing. That's mounted around the spare tire in rear of the e350.

There's a engine valve (purge valve / EGR / something?), Fuel Tank with (new) fuel pump, tank straps and bolts, fuel rails, fuel lines, line clips and clamps, return vapor line, evaporative canister, fuel filler neck and vent, fuel filter and bracket, 6 of the 8 fuel injectors (Meh, injectors look to be the incorrect ones anyway),
and the wiring harness run from front driver side wheelwell connector to the end of run / back of van.
(this curiously includes a split off for the driver side front ABS sensor, tow hitch lights, Evaporative canister, and a two prong to the top of the darn rear diff!! - I mean, what's that for??)

Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
And yes, I transported the stinky tank on my roof racks home 200 miles. It's still sitting on the roof while I try to sort this all out and how to move forward / what other parts I still need to go and find.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:23 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Appears I grabbed this part number off the e350 2006 parts van:
8C2Z9002A
Which is a 2004 - 2008 all models (e150, e250, e350, e450) 35 gallon tank.

The part # for my 1998 model is:
2C2Z9002FA
Which fits 1997 - 2001 models e150, e250, e350

They look almost identical. I only see one difference: In the top middle of the tank, there is only one main hole in the e350 2006 tank, whereas my 1998 stock tank would have two holes there.

I am wondering if they combo-ed up a few functions in the new pump and vent design there. If I have all the corresponding parts (which I do), I am wondering if I can just graft the 2006 e350 tank and all in to my '98, and make it work.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:21 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Anyone installed a later model Ford gas tank (2003+) into a 1997 - 2001 econoline?

Old 07-27-2017, 03:07 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're trying to convert from CNG to gasoline, every single wire harness in the van needs to be replaced along with everything, the exhaust, harness, fuel system, EVERYTHING is different. Dont ask me how I know, lol.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:30 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
I might beg to differ. At least from a researched theoretical point of view. But I will say this - I've done my homework. I have not tried it mechanically yet.
Perhaps if one is trying to pass emissions testing and not have a CEL / MIL.
That's a big IF. If you take into the account that I care nothing for the 2nd sentence I believe that might change the game a bit.

There should be no reason to change the exhaust - except for trying to install a missing EGR.
It also may depend if you left the AFCM - or alternate fuel control module - plugged in or not. That affects things in a major way.

Of course, I would like to ask you how you know lol!

Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
LOL, you'll see, my friend, as did I.. Lemme know if she fires up. Everything, I mean everything is different. On the exhaust, If I recall correctly, the Y pipe and the o2 was in wrong spot but it needed to be changed to avoid splicing wires under the van and such or it only had one and needed two, can't remember. Obviously tank, charcoal crap, entire fuel system, injectors, rails, exhaust, ecu, every wire single harness that connected to each other was different, Both vans were 99 5.4's with OEM FORD installed CNG system that expired. Ive tried to forget that project.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:03 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Oh no. I'm feeling a little sick.
That's not encouraging to hear at all.
I've been told by two parties that wiring harness doesn't need to be changed (but again all of us parties don't care about CEL and 02 sensors unless it ruins the AFM - does it??)
Yes, you're right there. CNG has one 02 sensor, gasoline version has at least one more.

Uh... did it ever run? Did you scrap it altogether?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:21 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
I dont know if it would run correctly if they front 02's werent in the correct spot but I'm not sure. I didn't wanna chance it.

Yeah, it only ran once every single harness was swapped over. Trust me, I tried, they all plugged in together but they weren't the same at all. I only took on that project cause my friend had his 99 gasoline that needed a new engine so I bought a 04 wrecked e250 and did a chassis swap with his 99 body. Then I had his old chassis just laying around and I got what I thought was a smoking deal on the 99 CNG van so I spent many weekends swapping everything over. I got it running and sold it.

With two good Ford guru amateur mechanics it was actually easier to swap chassis than it was to just swap the engines in my friends 99. He lucked out, got a tach, plastic intake 5.4 and runs great with a '99 body on it. We even put the '04 mirrors on it.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Those are some cool projects with a lot of work involved. Nicely done.
This is perplexing as, again, I'm in two current discussions with people who've done the CNG --> Gasoline swap all based on my published research.
The guy I'm talking with right now said he was running it (oh! and it started right up too), and ran it on the hwy, and with doghouse off said he heard a more noticeable 'tapping' noise that alarmed him. More so than reg gasoline Fords, and more than when this was stock CNG running.
So he took it to a mechanic. The mechanic said he had an open vacuum line and plugged it and apparently the tapping noise is gone or hugely reduced. Mechanic told him tapping wasn't anything bad - just more noticeable due to vacuum issue.

The odd thing is this too - he's running the CNG original PCM as far as I know. That seems impossible to me to get a correct Air / Fuel mix as it's programmed for CNG calculations (only). And they are totally different especially with a cold engine.

I also think he is using the original CNG harness. I do know he said he'd try that first even though he had a complete gasoline one pulled and on hand. I am pretty sure he left the stock CNG harness in so far. He may have done a custom pin out swap or two or bypass. I should double check. He said his speedo is way off and was asking me if I had any thoughts why that would be now.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:15 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
One other thing:
About 3 sources say it's running 'fine'. Or close to it.
But that will not account for the catalytic converters. Again, they are totally differently engineered with different precious metals to react with different exhaust stream pollutants. I wouldn't be surprised at all if leaving in the factory built CNG exhaust would get either fouled by the new gasoline combustion by products, or again certainly flunk smog / emissions checks anyway. But all of us parties have not bothered to concern ourselves with that as we have 'exception'al needs so to speak.

In cars anyway, (right?) it's commonplace to have at least 2, maybe 3 (?) O2 sensors. One is always pre - cat location which really does the sampling for the PCM to set the air to fuel mixture, whereas the post cat 02 sensors (cars) are checking to see that there are correct metrics after the cat. That post cat 02 sensor is just a check - and a check on the cat function and health and is not used to set up any combustion parameters with the PCM. In other words, it doesn't affect the PCM calculations whatsoever and therefore the calculated air / fuel mix settings are unaffected.

If the CNG exhaust has a pre cat 02 sensor anyway, and if it can be accurately or close enough used to help determine combustion settings (AFM), then I would think missing a downstream 02 sensor isn't really any big deal (again - not caring about emission requirements).

Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
That guy probably had an aftermarket CNG setup, not the factory one like mine was.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
These guys all have stock 'dedicated' Ford factory built CNG only rigs.
Would be a breeze with a mere converted one or a bi fuel factory one.