1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Always something, but I love her anyways.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:28 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
On a personal level, I don't plan to use the heat or the turn signals. I just wanted the larger mirror surface with the power adjusting option. With the reviews that the seller has, I don't anticipate any problems.
That will be an easy install. Plug and play without having to fish any wires from the cab to the door.

Originally Posted by SaintITC
I haven't properly hooked up the heat on my mirrors yet
Same here (about 2 years and counting). I have wire and connector pins to do an OEM-style job to wire them up but haven't gotten around to it yet (I have a tendency to take all day to do a 30 minute job).

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Heat works to defog them, too
Even in SoCal my mirrors fog up on cooler mornings (I'd say cold but San Diego doesn't get below freezing often). I don't like the OEM design of the heat constantly on when the key is on. I have a time delay relay and a momentary on switch that I will install "someday" so that I can activate the heat function for ~15 minutes at a time so that I have control over the heat instead of cooking mineral/water spots onto the glass every time I drive (San Diego has some very hard water).

Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
I don't like the OEM design of the heat constantly on when the key is on.
I thought the heat was only on when you turned on the rear defrost?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
I thought the heat was only on when you turned on the rear defrost?
You silly X guys . I have a sliding rear window so no rear defrost for me. I'm not sure if/when they put it on a timer but the '03 was when Ford started the OEM heated mirror (with the 6.0L) along with the integrated marker/turn signal. The heat was wired to a 12V switched source (hot when the key was in the ON position) so was on whenever the truck was. Read about guys complaining about the constant heat putting spots on the mirrors from whatever got baked on there when they drove.

I'm not sure if the post 7.3L guys have put a switch in there or not but I've seen write-ups where people used a rear defrost switch from a '95-ish Explorer. It has a built in timer and is a fairly close match to our interiors. Unfortunately my particular OCD disorder does not allow me to do this as it is not a factory match in my eyes. I purchased an adjustable time delay relay and plan to wire it up (someday) to one of my switches for my 650 lower dash.

You X guys have all the cool gadgets in your land yachts and us truck guys have to improvise.

A tip of the hat to our Superduty-with-a-permanent-bed-cap brethren:

http://allowe.com/audio/BudLite/Mr%2...v%20Driver.mp3

Old 02-05-2018, 01:17 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by brian42
Unfortunately my particular OCD disorder does not allow me to do this as it is not a factory match in my eyes. I purchased an adjustable time delay relay and plan to wire it up (someday) to one of my switches for my 650 lower dash.
I found that switch you are installing

It'll look good, trust me!

I hear the tic-tic-tic-tic can be soothing

I don't understand why people like to ride around with open beds Don't they realize that only leaves a THIN PIECE OF GLASS between you and the Zombies attacking from the bed?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:20 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I miss my excursion some days. Had it been powered by the 7.3, I may never have traded it. I love my truck though!

Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Another one of my favorites: http://allowe.com/audio/BudLite/Mr%2...e%20Pourer.mp3

I found that switch you are installing

It'll look good, trust me!

I hear the tic-tic-tic-tic can be soothing
That's the one! I haven't decided whether to mount it to the top of my dash or in the middle of the windshield just under my rear view mirror.

I don't understand why people like to ride around with open beds Don't they realize that only leaves a THIN PIECE OF GLASS between you and the Zombies attacking from the bed?
I consider it a 6' 9" crumple zone to defend against all of the people driving around today tailgating me while staring at their cell phones and don't see my brake lights.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by afmedic
I miss my excursion some days. Had it been powered by the 7.3, I may never have traded it. I love my truck though!
I like both Excursion and trucks. Always had Fords around since early as a kid. We hauled EVERYTHING!!!

The Excursion is for family hauling and camping. Double duty as daily driver sometimes. We benefit from "conditioned, inside space" more than we are inconvenienced by it. Plus when not hauling as much cargo, we can SIT in that space.

Otherwise, we likely would have had a DRW for 5th wheel. We were looking at them

Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
It was a simpler time when I was a kid, we used to sit in the bed of the truck and no body looked at my parents like they were bad people lol. I don't haul much, but when I do it's nice to have the 8 ft bed. I do wish I had a crew cab. It would make the trips with the kids easier

Old 02-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,589 Likes on 2,909 Posts
Mirrors arrived today and I ended up getting the drivers side mounted, but not hooked up yet. It did not fit out of the box. There was a 1/4" gap either in the front or the rear based on which of the 4 lugs you put through the door panel first. I expected this, but it turned out that afmedic had to do different modifications to it than I did.

I thought maybe he has a 2003 and there was a minor change, but I see now that he has an E99 and my truck is a 2000. Strange, but as long as they fit, then it is what it is.

Below is a picture I stole from Amazon with the red portion marked of where I had to trim down. It only took 10 seconds with a dremel wood cutting bit to grind down the part that was hitting the door panel.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:56 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Sous, you trimmed. Did you have foam behind it?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
There is a THICK foam layer that is removable that comes with the new mirrors. I did not have the same backing on mine that afmedic had on his, if those are his pictures. The foam I had was about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and compressed to make a tight seal/barrier between the back of the mirror and the body panel.

I had to remove the foam and have my wife help me see behind the mirror with a flashlight as I was trying to install it to see where the problem was. Once I had her help, it was 30 seconds later that the mirror went on without a hitch. I took it back down, re-installed the foam and attached it to the body panel. It seals up just as well as the OEM mirror and there are no gaps or spaces at all.

Again, I don't know if afmedic and I received the same mirror set or not and they certainly didn't fit the same way on our doors, but his are mounted and mine are mounted with very little effort to make them fit.

They are VERY stiff in folding them in, but I think they will loosen up over time and do fold and extend just fine. They look sharp and I think they will provide a much better rearward view when towing the 5th wheel.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
You guys will love those mirrors! I have a similar set from an earlier group buy. There is a world of difference in what you can see.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Both mirrors mounted and tested as working. Took less than 15 minutes from start to finish on the passenger side (door panel and all) since figuring out what needed to be trimmed on the driver side.

They look sharp and provide a MUCH larger viewing area than the stock mirrors.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:01 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Glad you got them in Sous. Even with the minor mods they are still well worth the price. They are way better than the dog ears!

I got my 6637 in today. Broke a clamp so I had to run to the store halfway through, but the L99 hose worked great!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Pictures of the mirrors that afmedic referred me to. They mounted great after a slight bit of modification which took 10 seconds after I learned what they needed.

Quick Reply: Always something, but I love her anyways.