Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Always something, but I love her anyways. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1525359-always-something-but-i-love-her-anyways.html)

afmedic 01-23-2018 05:52 PM

Always something, but I love her anyways.

I love my truck, but man it loves attention. I am going to use this thread to chronicle the adventures of keeping the Black Beauty on the road.

I had an excursion with the V10 that I traded straight up for this truck. It is an Early 99 F350 Super Cab with the DRW, 8'bed, and 4x4 auto trans. When I got it, it wouldn't start unless plugged in (even at 60 degrees), it had diesel in the coolant, and the interior had been trashed. 8 new glow plugs, a relay, 1 UVCH and valve cover gasket later, it started just fine. Replaced the cups and injector o-rings, cleaned everything really good, and now she purrs like a kitten. It still has a boost leak (I get 12 PSI MAX), and needs some TLC, but it is coming along!

Today, I went out to take her to the store, and she wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. Gauge is at zero. I resealed the fuel bowl the other day and it's ran fine since, with a very constant 68 PSI at idle and 62 PSI at WOT. Didn't have time to check much, but I have a feeling a fuel pump is in my very near future! (And for the inquisitive, I haven't done the H/H, but my tank is full)

guitarpicr 01-23-2018 07:08 PM

Do u hear the fuel pump run when u key on w/o trying to start it ? Fuses ?

afmedic 01-23-2018 07:47 PM

I was in a huge hurry to leave so I couldn't check anything. Only reason I knew about the fuel pressure was my new gauges ��. Already got her *fixed*. It's a temporary fix, but she lives again. Turns out my fuel bowl heater shorted out, and blew fuse 30. Unplugged it, replaced fuse, and voila, life! One of the little "pads" that the heater wire lays on had fallen off of the plate and was laying on the bottom of the bowl when I took it out a few days ago. Not quite sure how it ran as long as it did after putting it together, but at least I know what the problem is.

I think I'm going to keep this thread as my "build thread" since it has a generic title. We all like talki g about what we've done and having our own "journal" of work completed, questions, ambitions, etc. So I think I'll do that here instead of starting new threads!

afmedic 01-23-2018 08:39 PM

Has anyone used this heater? It doesn't look like the one I have now, but it looks more robust. I know how finicky these can be about OEM though
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...36f4ffd698.jpg

Stebs 01-23-2018 08:54 PM

Fuel Bowl Heater Element 99-03 (F81Z9J294AA)

afmedic 01-23-2018 08:58 PM

Guess I should have checked there first! Didn't realize they updated them. Mine made it 315000 miles, I guess that's good for something!

Colorado350 01-23-2018 09:06 PM

You could always just leave it disconnected. I live in Colorado, had mine disconnected since I bought it. I've never had an issue with it starting...

afmedic 01-23-2018 09:07 PM

I'll probably to that. I think I'll disconnect it from inside the bowl so ill still have the WIF light

Stebs 01-23-2018 09:55 PM

Wouldn't that create a constant short?

Jaime74656 01-23-2018 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by afmedic (Post 17748102)
Has anyone used this heater? It doesn't look like the one I have now, but it looks more robust. I know how finicky these can be about OEM though
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...36f4ffd698.jpg

not sure what site that is, but that is theupdated (corrected) design of the heater. put it in and be happy :)

afmedic 01-24-2018 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stebs (Post 17748246)
Wouldn't that create a constant short?

constant open. No blown fuse

DieselDenny 01-24-2018 06:30 AM

E99 Northern Michigan, 15 years unplugged, WTS light is still functional.

Denny

afmedic 01-24-2018 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 17748541)
E99 Northern Michigan, 15 years unplugged, WTS light is still functional.

Denny

WIF (water in fuel) won't work with the heater unplugged because it is in the same connector. WTS light is PCM controlled

DieselDenny 01-24-2018 07:06 AM

That's correct, first cup of coffee still in front of me...lol, sorry missed the WIF vs the WTS acro. That said, I've never seen the WIF illuminate. Good point if your concerned about it.

Denny

afmedic 01-24-2018 06:33 PM

I think I will leave the fuel bowl heater out for a while, maybe forever! This weekend I have to do my oil cooler o-rings (a casualty of the cold snap) and a coolant flush and oil change. I am also going to order new CAC and plenum boots from Clay, along with my new exhaust to get some better air movement. I am going to do a boost leak test as well to see if I can narrow it down, but my plenum boots are SOAKED in oil, so I am fairly confident that even if it doesn't solve my leak completely it will get better.