Always something, but I love her anyways. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Always something, but I love her anyways.

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.

I love my truck, but man it loves attention. I am going to use this thread to chronicle the adventures of keeping the Black Beauty on the road.

I had an excursion with the V10 that I traded straight up for this truck. It is an Early 99 F350 Super Cab with the DRW, 8'bed, and 4x4 auto trans. When I got it, it wouldn't start unless plugged in (even at 60 degrees), it had diesel in the coolant, and the interior had been trashed. 8 new glow plugs, a relay, 1 UVCH and valve cover gasket later, it started just fine. Replaced the cups and injector o-rings, cleaned everything really good, and now she purrs like a kitten. It still has a boost leak (I get 12 PSI MAX), and needs some TLC, but it is coming along!

Today, I went out to take her to the store, and she wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. Gauge is at zero. I resealed the fuel bowl the other day and it's ran fine since, with a very constant 68 PSI at idle and 62 PSI at WOT. Didn't have time to check much, but I have a feeling a fuel pump is in my very near future! (And for the inquisitive, I haven't done the H/H, but my tank is full)

Last edited by afmedic; 01-24-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Using thread as build thread, updating first post to match
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 PM
guitarpicr
Posting Guru
guitarpicr has a very good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a very good reputation on FTE.guitarpicr has a very good reputation on FTE.
Do u hear the fuel pump run when u key on w/o trying to start it ? Fuses ?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I was in a huge hurry to leave so I couldn't check anything. Only reason I knew about the fuel pressure was my new gauges ��. Already got her *fixed*. It's a temporary fix, but she lives again. Turns out my fuel bowl heater shorted out, and blew fuse 30. Unplugged it, replaced fuse, and voila, life! One of the little "pads" that the heater wire lays on had fallen off of the plate and was laying on the bottom of the bowl when I took it out a few days ago. Not quite sure how it ran as long as it did after putting it together, but at least I know what the problem is.

I think I'm going to keep this thread as my "build thread" since it has a generic title. We all like talki g about what we've done and having our own "journal" of work completed, questions, ambitions, etc. So I think I'll do that here instead of starting new threads!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Has anyone used this heater? It doesn't look like the one I have now, but it looks more robust. I know how finicky these can be about OEM though

Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 PM
afmedic
Elder User
Guess I should have checked there first! Didn't realize they updated them. Mine made it 315000 miles, I guess that's good for something!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
You could always just leave it disconnected. I live in Colorado, had mine disconnected since I bought it. I've never had an issue with it starting...

Old 01-23-2018, 10:07 PM
afmedic
Elder User
I'll probably to that. I think I'll disconnect it from inside the bowl so ill still have the WIF light

Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.Stebs has a great reputation on FTE.
Wouldn't that create a constant short?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Jaime74656
Another cautionary tale
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post
Has anyone used this heater? It doesn't look like the one I have now, but it looks more robust. I know how finicky these can be about OEM though
not sure what site that is, but that is theupdated (corrected) design of the heater. put it in and be happy

Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 AM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stebs View Post
Wouldn't that create a constant short?
constant open. No blown fuse

Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
E99 Northern Michigan, 15 years unplugged, WTS light is still functional.

Denny

Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 AM
afmedic
Elder User
Originally Posted by DieselDenny View Post
E99 Northern Michigan, 15 years unplugged, WTS light is still functional.

Denny
WIF (water in fuel) won't work with the heater unplugged because it is in the same connector. WTS light is PCM controlled

Old 01-24-2018, 08:06 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
That's correct, first cup of coffee still in front of me...lol, sorry missed the WIF vs the WTS acro. That said, I've never seen the WIF illuminate. Good point if your concerned about it.

Denny

Old 01-24-2018, 07:33 PM
afmedic
Elder User
I think I will leave the fuel bowl heater out for a while, maybe forever! This weekend I have to do my oil cooler o-rings (a casualty of the cold snap) and a coolant flush and oil change. I am also going to order new CAC and plenum boots from Clay, along with my new exhaust to get some better air movement. I am going to do a boost leak test as well to see if I can narrow it down, but my plenum boots are SOAKED in oil, so I am fairly confident that even if it doesn't solve my leak completely it will get better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Always something, but I love her anyways.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.