Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ArmyLifer's Excursion maintenance/upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

This missing bolt cover has been driving me crazy. Twice I tried to buy replacements, and twice they were the wrong part. I eventually stopped searching for Excursion parts and looked for F350 parts. Bingo, I finally found a part diagram that didn't show the previous part number that didn't fit. I googled that new part number and couldn't find it anywhere. It was "out of production". I then found an alternate part number YC3Z-2531458-AAA. It looked right so I ordered one.

Box from Tasca came in today. It kind of amazes me how happy this little victory made me today.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Should have hollared at me. I can get those all day long.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Sometimes it's the little things that drive a guy crazy!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
In

Originally Posted by Nicmike
Indeed he can and he got mine in exactly the right color! Thanks Mike!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Nicmike
Next time I'll know. Thanks

Old 07-03-2017, 10:24 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Well, a few days after I did the backup camera I realized the image in my mirror was reversed and the backup LED's were on all the time. These little switches control those features. So, took down the overhead console again.
It is HOT up there. Found that out when doing the camera/mirror install.
Decided to insulate above the console while I was up there anyway. Bought some sticky-backed automotive insulation. Found it works best with about 4" wide strips.
Should cut down on some of the radiant heat impingement. Maybe keep the console alive for a few extra years?

Also replaced front wiper blades.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:56 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Today was the day to grease the needle and main bearings as well as service the ESOF hubs.
Hub was easy enough to remove, following Guzzle's excellent instructions.
Took closer to 60 pumps with the grease gun through the ABS hole to start pushing out the old grease. Thanks to the Brotherhood of the Traveling Zerk for making this possible.
ESOF hub all disassembled, cleaned, and ready for reassembly. Guzzle's instructions again.
But...the passenger side was a different story. Muddy rust is the best description for what I found in there. Needle bearing felt "crunchy". Main bearing was suspect as well. Will use the hub I bought as a "spare" for my long road trip a little sooner than planned for. Will try to replace the dust seals tomorrow before putting on the new hub. To be continued...

Old 07-04-2017, 04:21 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic

Took some serious work to get the knuckle seal out of there. Also took a while to get the rust and grime out of there.

Cleaned up axle shaft and the homemade seal tool. After failing to get the seal even started with a 3-ton arbor press, and I didn't own a hammer big enough, I bought a 20 ton hydraulic press from Horrible Freight. Just an FYI...20 tons is more than enough to shatter the end flange of the home made seal tool when the seal is fully seated.

My axle tube cleaning rod worked well enough...

New Timken hub installed. Used the studs to pull the seal into position since I broke the seating tool. Those keen eyed sharpshooters out there will of course notice I forgot the brake shield. At least I only had to put on this one twice. Drivers side was three times. First was forgetting the grooved spacer. Second was putting the brake shield on backwards. Third time's a charm 🙈 I also did the axle tube dust seal install. Easy compared to the knuckle seal.

I also ran new ESOF vacuum lines. The existing ones were both like this:

So, in conclusion hub service and or install are relatively simple. Knuckle seal removal and install not so much.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Changed the oil today. Of course like everything else on this vehicle it wasn't easy. My biggest filter wrench was too small. Another trip to the auto store fixed that. This was my last scheduled maintenance before my 2000 mile journey. Hope it's ready🙏

Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

I don't use a filter wrench on mine. With the Fumoto, I didn't use a single tool to change my oil last week. Unless you consider a funnel a tool...

I twist my filter on and off by hand. Punch a hole in the bottom of the old one if you want to avoid the mess. You can use a pocket knife or a screwdriver...or anything pointy. Partially fill the new one with oil and let it soak into the filter element for just a few minutes before installing.

I also use the Traveler 15W-40 from Tractor Supply....have for years. With coupon or sale it is less than $8 a gallon. I buy it in 5 gallon buckets....then pour that into one gallon containers I saved from previous buys. Truck does very well on it.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to help you out, you can pull the ***** from the hub too. Found it out when I rebuilt mine. Really makes the ***** turn nice.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...9-04-hubs.html

Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
550 miles into my trip and everything good so far. Will gas up tomorrow and figure mileage then. I was part of a two vehicle convoy as the trail vehicle. Lead was going 75-80 most of the way. I would have opted for a more economical pace...

Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Tell'em to slow down and enjoy the scenery!!!

Old 07-07-2017, 03:24 PM
ArmyLifer
Fleet Mechanic
Well, made it to South Bend. 16.5mpg when I filled up this morning.

Torque Pro showed a maximum of 212* EOT, and 157* TFT during the 800+ miles this trip took. That was at an outside temp of 90* yesterday going up the hills outside Chattanooga. Average was 208 EOT and 152 TFT cruising at 75 with outside temps at 85. Vehicle was pretty well loaded down with about 400 pounds cargo, myself, and one passenger. Guess the 6.0 cooler is working 😎. We'll see how those temps go when I tow the trailer home in two weeks.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM
BBFarms
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armylifer- I don't have much to contribute but wanted to say thank you for all the ideas, how to's and motivation. Read your thread multiple times over the past month or so and continue to come back to it for ideas and tips. Well done.

Quick Reply: ArmyLifer's Excursion maintenance/upgrade thread