Sponsored by: Moser

Sirius / XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Sirius / XM Radio

I've got several XM "Roady" portable receivers, boomboxes and vehicle adapter kits. Up til now, I've only activated one of the radios and keep the extras as spares. I really like the XM Radio, especially here in Yuma, where there's a dearth of radio stations. In the past, for long weekends or trips to the lake, I'd put the active receiver in whatever vehicle I'd be using, and settled for that.

However, as I spend more time home, and outside, the local radio isn't cutting it and I soon decided to activate one of the spares, and set up the yellow truck as a semi-permanent XM vehicle.

The old stereo cassette player had finally given out, so I thought long and hard about what to replace it with. I definitely wanted a two post radio, but I'd become accustomed to the newer features like Bluetooth, song display, XM Radio, auxiliary input, etc. So I searched for a while and decided on the RetroSound 2 post receiver. I chose the auxiliary input, but decided against the other options. I don't need to see the song display because I know all the songs. I don't need phone integration cuz I can't hear or be heard anyway. Although I do have an iPhone, I don't have an iPod, and the cable integration is for the 30 pin-not the lightning connector-although I expect that to change. The only option left was XM Radio. Now I'm not going to buy a subscription for each vehicle, nor am I going to buy new receivers for each truck, so I stayed with the Roady as I can move it around.

After hooking up the new radio, i took another look at the Roady setup. I already had the mount in place, but had placed the antenna on the dashboard. While that setup worked great when driving south, I found I also needed to drive north, west and east. So the antenna had to be moved. I tried sticking the magnetic antenna to the ceiling, and although it stuck well, it had no signal. So I put the antenna on top of the cab-outside. Signal was then very good, but I had to run the cable. I'm really not keen on cutting a hole in the roof, especially for something that I may not keep, so I ran the cable down the back of the cab, through the frame rail, up the firewall, under the dash, and into the receiver dock. I also found an 1/8" mini plug cable, and plugged it in. Once I hooked up the cigarette lighter, we were good to go

Once everything was secured, I took it for a drive. XM sounds great and works in all directions. So far, I'm happy with the radio, and am now considering a more permanent mount for the antenna. The scotch tape is rather ghetto, but I found a round "hockey-puck" style antenna I may go with. Unless you guys have a better suggestion....

As always, I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions and ideas...

picture time:
Antenna on top of truck
Antenna wire secured with scotch tape
RetroSound Laguna model
Roady
Overview

Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 PM
cmanka28
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonder if you could find an antenna similar to the newer Fords that would control both standard radio & sat radio. you'd still have to drill a hole in the roof but it would still run the radio if you got rid of the xm

Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 AM
One79one71
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The antenna needs to be on the roof to work well with 360 view of the sky. Run the wire under seals and into the cab. Any way you can get it run to the receiver keeping in mind that the wire is very fragile - permanent install of the antenna is the only way to go. I have had to replace a bunch of them in the 8 years + of running xm. Nothing annoys me more than losing reception for no apparent reason .
BTW your receiver is good but there are ones that have memory built in to where you can pause a song or news segment to take a phone call or run in the store and then skip over ads with the built up memory like you would with recorded tv. Install/wire your power supply to be constant hot for this to work as memory is cleared when turning off.
buy antennas on online.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
PapaBearYuma,
Really do hope you get good service W/your RetroSound. (FYI) last November I installed a Retro Sound system in my 77 F-150 that my Son bought me, used it a few dozen times and by January 2017 it longer would turn off. Since then I purchased off eBay an OEM AM/FM Stereo Radio and sent it Gene Cochran out of Nebraska. He cleaned, tuned, changed illumination bulbs and installed an Aux Input W/24" cable.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:36 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I used the small magnetic antenna and put it on the drivers side cowl.......It's been so long ago that I forget how I routed the wire, but could go take a look if you like. I have an OLD pioneer XM and it is mounted between the sunvisors on a mount plate that I fabbed up that uses the original screws for the center visor support......... the fabbed plate is above the center visor support.......I do remember that getting all the wiring up to it was kind of a bitch but it all works very well.....I didn't have to drill any holes for the way I did it.......

Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Thanks guys - I knew I'd get some good advice here!

cmanka28 - I like the idea of running the roof mount antenna that controls both. I'll see what I can find online

one79 - I've got the cigarette lighter wired to my auxiliary fuse box, fed by the auxiliary battery. I generally unplug the power when not using it, but will probably look for a "less-klunky" 12v to 5v adapter. maybe a USB...

eqcmcat - sorry to hear of your bad luck with the radio. I hope mine lasts a long time, but good to know I have an option.

78 - thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I pursue that route...

Old 05-21-2017, 08:13 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Bought a two-outlet USB recptacle that was supposed to go in the hole vacated by the cigarette lighter.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Turned out to be larger diameter and doesn't fit. I still liked the idea, so I wired it up and stuffed it up under the dash.

While I was at it, I got a USB powered cable for the XM radio cradle.

USB DC Power Charger Cable For Delphi SKYFi3 Roady XT MyFi XM XM2GO Radio | eBay

Using the fm transceiver built into the XM radio, I need only two cables to the cradle. I ran the two cables inside split loom, and stuffed them under the dash. It's actually "cleaner" then the cigarette lighter adapter.

I think it looks pretty good...

Right now it's tuned to "80s on 8". I generally keep it on Lithium, but if I have to hear one more tribute to Chris Cornell I may throw up

Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
PapaBear,
I originally subscribed to your thread with the plan (fast forward) to ask if you still like the XFM radio? Are you still using it and would you recommend it? Thanks for your time.
Don

Old 04-09-2018, 04:16 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
PapaBear,
I originally subscribed to your thread with the plan (fast forward) to ask if you still like the XFM radio? Are you still using it and would you recommend it? Thanks for your time.
Don
I love the XM radio! I have cradles in all the trucks so I can move the receiver around. I bought a second receiver for the trucks, so I can leave my primary at work. The second receiver is a wee bit of an add-on charge, but still worth it to me

Old 04-09-2018, 04:41 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
PapaBearYuma,
Copy all you wrote and thanks for your response. Just wanted to check back W/you on the matter, as it seems as time goes on it'd becoming harder to find stations with the music I grew up listening to and knowing XFM is a viable option.
Don

Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by EQCMCAT
PapaBearYuma,
Copy all you wrote and thanks for your response. Just wanted to check back W/you on the matter, as it seems as time goes on it'd becoming harder to find stations with the music I grew up listening to and knowing XFM is a viable option.
Don
I read your post about having trouble with a retro sound radio. That post was part of the reason I went with the basic radio. I have the auxiliary input, but I generally use the FM transmitter of the XM radio

Also, the XM upgrade module for the retro radio seemed like a real hack setup.

A couple weeks ago, I was in LA without my XM, so I was listening to Jack and KROQ. Both good stations, but all the commercials for the ambulance chasing lawyers just about drove me up the wall!