F250: Medium-Heavy 5ver. Pics and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:29 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F250: Medium-Heavy 5ver. Pics and Questions

So this is my second post about my F250 towing journey. (First one here if you missed it.)

This forum is great, and I appreciate all the help! As I continue my journey I have some questions, and would really appreciate your thinking.

I'll ask the questions first, and then provide details and photos below.

1. So you'll see below I experienced a 3.25" squat. I'm only estimating, but I think I had somewhere around 2,500# pin/hitch weight. The dealer seemed to think that wasn't a problem at all. What do you guys think? Assuming you were me (and no option to buy a bigger truck) would you air-bag it? If so, how high (back towards the original 44.5") would you inflate? I'm feeling like I need to air-bag it for sure...but would like some input if you you have any.

2. I only lost half-an-inch on the front. I think that's pretty awesome. I still end up with a 1" rake. Something tells me this is good, but please let me know your thoughts.

3. The real problem seems to be (not so much because it's an F250) but because it's a 2017. I only ended up with 4" clearance between the front cap on the 5ver and the bed of the truck. I have read that I should have 6. The dealer again thought it would be OK, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

4. My Reese Elite 25k is currently set at the lowest setting (14.9") so I have the ability to select either 16.2" or 17.5". If you ask me, even at it's lowest setting the 5ver seemed not quite level (pin high). So if I raise the hitch, yes -- it will provide better bed clearance) but it will also tip the coach even more aggressively. If it were you, would you raise the hitch? To what setting? Will it make any difference in that the coach is riding nose high? AND, making matters worse, if I upgrade the suspension and the bed of the truck sits higher, will this get out of control with the 5ver at an extreme up angle?

Thank you!!!

Here are the details:

So today I hitched a Coachman Brookstone 325RL to take some initial measurements and see where I ended up with the F250. So here are the numbers on the coach:

I began the morning taking a photo of the front and rear (with nothing but the 150# Reese 25k in the bed) for reference. (Sorry about the parallax view. It turns out it's hard to hold a tape and take an iPhone pic.

Front (41.5 inches):

Rear (44.5 inches):

Then I hitched the Coachman.

Front (41 inches):

Rear (41.25 inches):

Bed clearance (4 inches) -- yeah, I'd like to see 6+:

(Note, looks like less, but that was just the camera angle.)

Here is a side shot. Note: Looks like the landing gear may be on the pavement, but it isn't. I verified there was no weight on the gear. Also, I forgot to air-up the tires... so this shot is with only 60lbs per tire, not 80...I won't make that mistake again.

Any other thoughts that come to your mind...I would appreciate it very much if you would share them. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 1/4 inch squat might make your headlights while on dim may look like you have them on bights to on coming traffic. 4 inches to the top of the bed is really tight in my opinion. Keep an eye on that when leaving a fuel stop for sure. Have you pulled it any distance yet? If so did the truck seam like it can take the weight or does it seam like the trailer is taking the truck instead of the other way around? Just curious....

Old 01-16-2017, 07:20 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's waaaay too close, on the flats you'd be ok but if you have to go up a driveway with a steep incline you going to f-up your new truck. I really don't see what the issue is here, the 5th wheel pin box is adjustable, unbolt the thing and lower is until you have about 6" or so. Then after that install some air bags so the rear end doesn't squatbut abaaout 1 1/2" or so....... easy fix.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Rossi73
New User
Air bags make a world of difference. I'll have to bag my new truck very soon.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:40 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyncwby
That's waaaay too close, on the flats you'd be ok but if you have to go up a driveway with a steep incline you going to f-up your new truck. I really don't see what the issue is here, the 5th wheel pin box is adjustable, unbolt the thing and lower is until you have about 6" or so. Then after that install some air bags so the rear end doesn't squatbut abaaout 1 1/2" or so....... easy fix.
Absolutely. You need that 6" clearance for off road or driveways without possible damage.
Better to be safe and look for pin box adjustability as noted.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:51 AM
ExcursionPSD
Senior User
I don't know whether there was anything in the tanks of the trailer, that could make a difference depending on where the tanks are located.

Your numbers show it at about 22% pin weight which is in the range for a fifth wheel trailer. You need to get more clearance over the bed. You need to level out your truck more. Adjust the pin box on the trailer to a comfortable bed clearance, and I would use air bags on the rear of the truck. If your pin weight changes as you go on different trips, you will be able to adjust the air bag pressure to get a consistent rear wheelwell height.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks to me your truck is pretty close to level. I don't see the need for air bags. You do need more bed clearance. Pull the trailer onto a level spot take pictures and see how it looks. You have to get more bed clearance first at least 6" then see what the trailer looks like.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
Yup, you need need more clearance over the bed. I've experienced dips in the road pulling in and out of places that you would hit with the way it's set up.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,369 Posts
My imagination isn't as good as others seeing the whole truck and trailer for level. How about an entire pic of them. At 4" sooner or later there will be connection between bed and trailer 6" minimum would be better. Ask yourself what would the dealer have to gain saying " thought it would be OK" a sale?

Also, I'm guessing that trailer was empty? It will sit different once you start loading it up and don't forget that everything weighs something meaning all those little things you normally don't think about WILL ADD WEIGHT.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 PM
-brent
Cross-Country
1911--X2 on what they all have said so far. That looks scary close to the bedrails for my peace of mind-- although I'm still new at the 5th wheel adventure.
Weight is a crazy thing, we bought ours and realized as soon as we put it on the CAT scale that the yellow sticker is a lie (at least for ours). We have a TH so the front weight is always there as all the tanks sit up front, and a generator.
As to your other post, we bought a F250 as well but have fewer options so our cargo weight is a bit better. Also we put the 4.30 gears in this winter so are very excited to see how it pulls when the snow melts.
As many have said, enjoy the trip after good planning.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,555 Likes on 1,109 Posts
in this case, it would appear an extended pin box may help with more clearance between truck and 5th wheel.

That is all I would address in this case.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Slyhuntr
Senior User
I can actually reach over the tailgate and sides on our rig. Definitely need to make some changes to your setup.

Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
trailer weight..

mine LIE. Coachman.. older unit...

completely empty.. is 800 more than both tags...

Old 01-17-2017, 07:46 PM
191124x7
Elder User
Gentlemen, thank you for all this input (and Chuck I'm sure you're right about published weights).

I'm curious... several people have suggested I fix the bed clearance problem by adjusting the pin box. Since I'm renting the trailer, and since I suspect I'll have this problem with other 5vers, would I serve the same purpose by raising my hitch height, or would that mess something up?

Also, nobody has addressed that (after airbags) when I restore another 3 inches of height to the truck bed...AND...adjust the trailer up (one way or another)... how long before the front-to-back negative rake of the trailer becomes an issue?

(For reference, here is how I can adjust my hitch -- 25k version. I'm currently on the lowest (top hole) 14.9" setting. I'm thinking if I go to the bottom hole (17.45") I can gain another 2.5" and be at 6.5". Any reason that won't work?)

Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
My imagination isn't as good as others seeing the whole truck and trailer for level. How about an entire pic of them. At 4" sooner or later there will be connection between bed and trailer 6" minimum would be better. Ask yourself what would the dealer have to gain saying " thought it would be OK" a sale?

Also, I'm guessing that trailer was empty? It will sit different once you start loading it up and don't forget that everything weighs something meaning all those little things you normally don't think about WILL ADD WEIGHT.

I'm with scraprat. I'd like to see a whole side shot of truck and trailer hitched up. Here's my truck and 5th wheel before I put air bags on it. On it's maiden voyage. It was pretty obvious to me I needed bags.

That's 2520 lbs on the pin, as measured on a CAT scale. Full water tank, food, beverages , clothes, everything, plus 4 Labrador Retrievers.

Same load, after air bags (second voyage).

Here is my weight tag on my truck's door pillar.

I am under (barely) on all weights, with the closest one to maxing out being my tire weight ratings (on rear). Next time I'm due for tires (this fall), I'm looking for (slightly taller) and more weight rating on my next set.

Putting bags on mine made an immediate improvement on stability and road feel. Steering felt better, everything seemed better. Plus my headlights weren't pointed at the stars and I could see the road surface and not annoy oncoming drivers.

Quick Reply: F250: Medium-Heavy 5ver. Pics and Questions