Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 f350 fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 f350 fog lights

I'm getting some super duty fog lights with the wiring harness and I was going to put hid lights in them. how should I go about wiring up the harness? I want it done right so they work with low beam and not high and I wanna be able to have it done so that I can plug my hid lights into them. I know how to do hid lights. Iv done many vehicles. u just need advice on the harness coming with the fog lights. my guess is to find the power and ground sides of that harness and splice into low beam wires? I really don't want a toggle. I'm not a fan of them unless they are like auxiliary lights or something

Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You want your foglights on all the time with the low beams? If so, the best way to go about it would be to tap into the low beam wire, and have that trigger a relay. The headlight wiring on these trucks is already marginal enough, so having the relay will keep the load off the wiring.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
You want your foglights on all the time with the low beams? If so, the best way to go about it would be to tap into the low beam wire, and have that trigger a relay. The headlight wiring on these trucks is already marginal enough, so having the relay will keep the load off the wiring.
How should I wire it with a relay and what relay should I get ?

Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
You would have the low beam circuit trigger the relay, and the relay would connect the foglights directly to the battery with through a fuse.

All auto parts stores have generic relay kits that use standard automotive relays.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
You would have the low beam circuit trigger the relay, and the relay would connect the foglights directly to the battery with through a fuse.

All auto parts stores have generic relay kits that use standard automotive relays.
I'm buying the factory super duty harness with the lights so I have the correct clip for the hid system to hook into. so I splice into low beam and put that to the relay and then another pin off relay to fussed wire to battery and then from relay to ground. all on the proper pins of course. and then I'd have a functional connector to use for either a normal bulb or to plug a hid set up into?

Old 12-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Alright... Somebody has to say it. First, super duty fog lights sucks. Period. Second do NOT put HIDS in them. They will make it WORSE as all it will do is create excess glare. On top of that you'll blind the he'll out of everybody. I'm assuming you have the bumper with the cutouts in it. If so look into Hello 550 fog lights. The fit right into the opening, put out tons of USEFUL light and don't blind everybody.

The above picture is the fog light only.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Alright... Somebody has to say it. First, super duty fog lights sucks. Period. Second do NOT put HIDS in them. They will make it WORSE as all it will do is create excess glare. On top of that you'll blind the he'll out of everybody. I'm assuming you have the bumper with the cutouts in it. If so look into Hello 550 fog lights. The fit right into the opening, put out tons of USEFUL light and don't blind everybody.

The above picture is the fog light only.
I am already that guy that's blinds everyone with my 5k hid headlights. I have a custom bumper and I just like the look of the super duty fog lights. but would be good to have them effective instead of glare but I think it looks silly to have hid headlights and normal fog lights. I don't like it. but hey to each his own right.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jesse73iditurbo
I'm buying the factory super duty harness with the lights so I have the correct clip for the hid system to hook into. so I splice into low beam and put that to the relay and then another pin off relay to fussed wire to battery and then from relay to ground. all on the proper pins of course. and then I'd have a functional connector to use for either a normal bulb or to plug a hid set up into?
Yeah, if you google search for headlight relay circuit, you'll find tons of examples.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
Yeah, if you google search for headlight relay circuit, you'll find tons of examples.
Ok cool thanks

Old 12-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Evan_P
x2 on the Hella 550's. Installed them in mine about a year ago.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:01 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesse73iditurbo
I am already that guy that's blinds everyone with my 5k hid headlights. I have a custom bumper and I just like the look of the super duty fog lights. but would be good to have them effective instead of glare but I think it looks silly to have hid headlights and normal fog lights. I don't like it. but hey to each his own right.

It's not to each his own, it's don't be the douche blinding everyone when you're driving down the road.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrollings53
It's not to each his own, it's don't be the douche blinding everyone when you're driving down the road.
whatever guy. didn't mean to start problems. and ya it's to each his own on what you like and don't like. and don't blind people... have you seen the new vehicles damn lights are just as bright as hids. some actually have factory hid systems. and the new led lights are bright as a ******* too. except I read the distance they shoot out the light is the same as hid and just as bright except peripheral isn't as good as the hid. that's just wat i read I don't really know. but anyway. didn't want to cause problems. if u think I'm a douche than that's fine. don't bother me. I have bigger issues in life than worrying about being called that douche with the lights

Old 12-04-2016, 07:03 PM
mrollings53
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thing is the new cars were designed for the hid bulb. Your superduty fog lights were not. You put a hid bulb in a housing that wasn't designed for it and your going to get lots of glare that blinds other drivers. To you it looks like every thing is brighter, because it is. To everyone else it looks like the sun is coming at them.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
New vehicles use projectors to focus the output of an HID bulb while keeping it out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. And there is not one single manufacture that I know of that uses HID for the fog lights. All the white light fogs you see that are factory are LED which again are aimed in a way to not blind oncoming traffic. Feel free to look at the HID link in my signature.

If you want to go around blinding others, so be it. I have a real nice 50" light bar across the roof of my Ranger just for people like you....

Old 12-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Jesse73iditurbo
Senior User
I see your point but there's no reason I can't fab the super duty lights in my bumper so they are pointed correctly but yes it is still bright as hell and myou headlights are aimed properly as well. ya i get high beamed once in a great while but that's ok. hid lights r everywhere in my area so it's not just me. o well.

Quick Reply: 1993 f350 fog lights