Sponsored by: DP Tuner

low buck engine decisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:04 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
low buck engine decisions

in a time where my bank account is lacking funds (do to other projects)

I find myself in a predicament.

I have 3 7.3's one is a 01, the other 2 are 97's

the 01 block has popped a head gasket for the 2nd time, so I will be setting this engine aside for a rebuild in the future.

one of the 97's is complete turbo to pan.(cali model)
I do not know the condition of the engine but it turns over.

the other is a stripped short block. that appears to have good cylinder walls.(federal)
I have a few sets of heads, and a pile of parts.

parts already on hand,
rebuilt oil cooler
bellowed up pipes
EPBV delete pedestal
rebuilt stock turbo w/ billet wheel.
new IC boots

kinda hate to pull the good 97 7.3 out of its current project.

but if I use the short block, I will have to hold up a sign off the freeway
"will work for truck parts"

as PSD head bolts are torque to yield, it don't make much sense to buy bolts, rather save up and get studs.

and then injectors.... but that's another issue....

what would you guys choose?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you're
asking here. Is that '01 with the blown head gasket in your current vehicle and you're looking at putting one of those '97s into the truck?

Old 10-04-2016, 09:33 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The 97 would need different injectors, or tuning to accommodate the injectors in it already. They have different fuel systems, so that would have to be addressed as well. But, before doing anything, I would get the 97 running, and make sure it's a good motor before swapping it, if that's what you decide to do.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
basically, im asking which path you would choose.

the truck is a 01 F350 SB DRW.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...4wd-build.html

I will be swapping everything from the 01 block to one of the 97's

the cali model 97 7.3 already has the AB's in them(standard for the late model cali engines)

my problem is that injectors are a very important part of the engine. and I do not know the current condition of the sticks in the complete engine.

I need to keep this thing as low dollar as I can. too many irons in the fire.
I have about 2 grand total (for now) to spend on this project.
and the rig still needs rims and tires.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
You will have a better look at the innards of the short block than you do the complete engine and I would get a sense of security out of starting there and taking a look at some of those main bearings, pistons and cylinders. At least you can inspect tops of those pistons even if you don't pull one or two.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm trying to follow along, but I'm not getting any traction here. Please let me know if I'm close:

[A]You want to take the best 7.3L you have and put it in a Superduty, swapping Superduty parts onto the OBS engine if that's the case.

[B]You want to put a SD engine in an OBS truck.

My first question is: How did you determine you blew a head gasket... twice? Fuel in coolant? If it's fuel in coolant, it may be as simple as cups - which can be resolved with the engine in place, and for not much money. Head gaskets rarely go, but I acknowledge that once you disturb a factory head gasket - your odds don't work toward your favor.

As for either option, there are a few key parts that will get your attention. The front cover on the OBS doesn't work with the SD oil pickup, so you have to keep the cover and oil pickup together as a set - whichever you choose. The SD has no hole for the fuel pump, nor does it have the FP cam lobe - so you will need to freeze-plug the FP hole on the OBS for option A, or add an electric fuel pump on your OBS for option B.

The intake plenum outlets are 3" on a SD, and 2" on an OBS. The '97 should have a 10-bolt intake plenum, (like the SD), but no guarantees. Finding an 8-bolt intake plenum with a 3" outlet gets a little tricky, but it's doable. If you keep the stock injectors from your SD engine (ADs), this simplifies many things - including the holding power of the plenum seals.

The turbos, spiders, and fuel bowls are very different from each other - the whole valley is getting a complete make-over with either option.

The driver-side exhaust manifold is coming off with either option. I suggest having the one you keep milled/shaved and use a good gasket when you re-install.

Head studs... this is very tricky because the head studs have longer threads into the block than the stock bolts - and corrosion is frequently coating the deeper threads in the blind hole. If you don't remove the heads, you need a $100 8-inch long M12 X 1.75 bottoming tap to get a tool on it, or get creative with a conventional tap. $17 per stud x 38 studs plus a $100 tap, and your budget gets a big divot whacked out. If you are staying with SD stock injectors (tuned or not), head studs wouldn't be necessary. I'd save the money for valve springs, seals, push rods, oil cooler seals, injector bolts, and other stuff you'll need in a project like this.

I have a project where I'm taking a '94.5 7.3L and converting it to a SD engine with 400 HP. [LINK]. Just skip right over the parts where people were second-guessing why I chose not to do a full rebuild - I'm pretty sure you've already had that internal discussion.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
option A is what im trying to achieve.

allow me to give you a tour of the burn out box.

I have a 01 SD CC SB cab that's registered on a 02 F350 CC LB DRW chassis.

the 01 engine came to me in a "well done" manor.
the PO drove it after a radiator hose popped off, and didn't stop until he got home.
when i first got the truck, i did a leak down test to find a failed headgasket.
i replaced the heads(had another set machined with new cups), injectors, turbo, and drove it for the next 3 years.
the last time i drove it, i noticed something was awry, after my final stop she fired up super hard and nothing but plumes of white smoke out of the exhaust.
when i popped the hood, the first thing i noticed was the dipstick had been pushed out, and oil everywhere. i did not check the coolant.
with the engine being through the previous ringer, i decided i was done with that engine until it can get a complete rebuild. im pretty sure by now the deck is warped, if it wasn't previously

it may have been a cup, but the diesel care injectors, and the amount of oil over the front passenger side told me not to mess with it.

i also had another life changing event that made me start the project i have going on today. i had twin boys!

so this truck was frame swapped and converted into a 6 door short bed.

I have a complete 97 cali engine, as I said before I know it turns over, and that's it.
the hopes (or lack there of) that it is indeed turn key, has me considering other options.

i want this project low buck, but the reality is that i need some cash regardless of which way i go.

im either going to spend it now, or spend it later.... looks like my lunch money is going into the piggy bank for the next several months.

im going to be digging the 97 short block out of the back of my garage today.
i have a few sets of heads, so with your insight, im going to have the 01 heads i initially pulled off the truck mag'd and pressure tested.

the truck is wired and equipped with e-fuel, so the mechanical pump will be deleted.

the SD fuel bowl and turbo set up will be transferred, hoping the turbo is still good, but i have a few stock take off turbos as a back up.

so in closing, ive pretty much made my decision on building the short block. ive had that internal discussion for more than 6 months. the jewish side of me, wants me to steal the complete engine out of my 63 ranchero.
(yes i have a 97 7.3 in a highly modified 63 ranchero)
but that puts that project back in the planning stages after i acquired a stand alone engine harness.
the realistic side of me wants to see main bearings, rings, and cam bearings.

with this rig being a weekend warrior, and being used to transport my kids, i want a solid engine. one that i know im not going to have any issues with.

ive decided to sell a few other projects i have to fund this build.
but i really really wanted to finish my 4 door bronco!
such as life, ill build another one, one day.

thanks for your help guys.
i know some people would read this post and say WTF....
but i needed a kickstart.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
In a certain light, one could interpret your response as "After reading your disaster, I've decided not to fall on those same land mines - you truly are a cautionary tale, as your avatar states".

Good luck with the conversion! I'm sure we can share scar stories along the way.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
My understanding of a short block is block, cank, cam and rods. What else would be included in a short block? Is the front cover part of that, or not? The plenums and the exhaust manifolds are extensions off of the heads so provided that newer heads are used they should be no issue. Then there is that hole in the top of the block for a mechanical fuel pump, which has to be plugged. What other differences are there between a '97 block vs 99+?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:32 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
pistons would be part of that.
other than that a short block to me is nothing but cast iron, and a rotating assembly.
no tins, no cooler etc.

but...
this block came to me complete, and ive removed the front cover, heads and cooler.
I have most of it, the cooler I have for it is newer but shouldn't be an issue.
the block didn't rotate 360* when I got it. pulled heads and some built up crud keeping #3 from going to TDC

I have a few sets of exhaust manifolds.
ive done a 96 PSD in a 89 F350, I cant recall changing exhaust manifolds.
I used a 99-03 EBPV delete pedestal, with a E99 turbo., and the 99-03 up's
we will just have to cross that road when it comes time.

I didn't get to the block today, the babysitter had a Dr.s appointment so my day got cut short.

now my problem is that I have a IDI on my 2ton engine stand that I need to put somewhere....
may take a break and slap my 96 crew cab on the SD frame and drop the IDI ansd a ZF5 into it.

or...

and that takes me back to....
dropping a IDI and a T-19 into the ranchero, still having the old school stuff...
but then I gotta put that direct injection engine somewhere ...
its a fecies show over here man.....
ive cloned myself 4 times...
but getting the clones to mature, and do what you want them to...
is turning out to be a real chore... lol

Old 10-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The exhaust manifolds will be the same on all the OBS engines - it's when you go to a SD up-pipe and turbo that the driver side doesn't fit. The OBS 7.3L was meant to go into a completely different engine bay from the SD 7.3L, so fitment is the issue. While the OBS has the T-4 turbo mount, the SD has a proprietary collector to the turbo inlet.

I have three engines (one in the truck and two in the garage), one stand, and one lift - so I had to do a little carpentry to make a "cupholder-like" stand. I supported the engine on the motor mounts and the back face.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:27 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

Rich, I think I found your problem with the top engine. The hamster and wheel is missing. I only see the housing LOL

@IDIoit CONGRATULATIONS on your new TWINS!!!

How many miles are on these engines and their injectors?

Tugly and Walley Hunter are both doing similar "conversions" between SD and OBS. Lots of good pics and descriptions from them.

Got a pic or details about that Ranchero? You KNOW you couldn't just drop that info here without us asking

Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Rich, I think I found your problem with the top engine. The hamster and wheel is missing. I only see the housing LOL

@IDIoit CONGRATULATIONS on your new TWINS!!!

How many miles are on these engines and their injectors?

Tugly and Walley Hunter are both doing similar "conversions" between SD and OBS. Lots of good pics and descriptions from them.

Got a pic or details about that Ranchero? You KNOW you couldn't just drop that info here without us asking
but but this is the wrong forum! lol

its a 63 Ranchero.
came to me with a rusted out front clip, the entire floor needed to be replaced.
so I slapped it on a 89 F350 4 WD chassis.
scored a 7.3 and a ZF5 4 wd from my parents neighbors
I still need to do a lot of work to it.
but here it is...

mileage unknown on these engines. but the 01 block has 190k

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
That actually looks pretty good on that frame

"Coolness" gets a pass on any forum Thanks for sharing

Old 10-06-2016, 08:48 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
I have a set of full length stacks for it that ill be doing a twin turbo set up,
and running the stacks as a Lakes pipe set up.
I want to hide the frame as much as I can!

ive really been thinking about swapping it to another frame.
I have a spare 01 CC SB frame sitting with plans that are undecided.

but then I loose the KP D60...

when the 6 door SD comes out of the shop, ill be throwing the chero in and making some big decisions. may even slap the IDI with a T19 in it. I never know...

or....
since were pretty much done with the topic, ill throw in another wrench in the works...

this one is beggin for a custom 2 wd frame.....
and maybe a powerstroke!!!!

Quick Reply: low buck engine decisions