Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another crappy e4od question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:21 PM
wahlturfcare
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another crappy e4od question..

I just got my email 4od back from the rebuilder after 5 weeks of rebuilding after the first time failed(valve body wasn't installed correctly).I just installed it and got it to run for about 20 minutes(fluid level was correct) and lost all gears while driving in the driveway. (It wants to move,but doesn't). The o/d is flashing code 67.
I took the pan off and didn't find any metal in the pan.

Any ideas? New torque converter,solenoid pack, pigtail, speedometer sensor/gear and internal drive gear(green)for it.

And is there a better tranny, than the junk e4od?
The truck is a 1990 superduty with the 7.3.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
code 67 is failed range sensor.Transmission Manual Lever Position Sensor (MLPS).
when in the D position the trans often goes into neutral when this sensor fails.
to help insure that just the range sensor is bad,manually select 1/2 and R.do all these gears seem to work ok?

if so,simply replace the range sensor and she should be ok while in the D position again.

for trans options (that would require modifications) you could install a manual 5 speed trans if you don't mind all the work and could preferably source a donor truck.

you could in theory,install the old 3 speed c6 trans but with the low gearing of the f450,anything over 35-40 mph would be pretty impractical as a single OD trans is hardly enough as is with 4.63 or 5.13 gearing.

you've got the best trans option now imo.at this point,your probably just $35-$50 away from another 150-200k miles.

Old 09-14-2016, 09:58 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
5 weeks from a rebuilder? Please help me with the logistical issues...these can be fully refurbished in a matter of hours.

As I understand, the E4OD was upgraded throughout the years and eventually replaced by the 4100R. The 4100R is basically the same as the E4OD but with notable improvements:

Better torque converter with a stronger cover (an upgrade is billet) and multiple clutches
Both planetaries are 6 trunnions in steel instead of 4 trunnions in aluminum
The sprag (or diode as I have heard it referred to) is also stronger
A trans coolant port bypass to help save the trans should a cooling system blockage occur
All trans coolant lines are now 3/8" versus the 5/16"
Bigger fluid-to-air trans cooler up front

These are all upgrades that can be perform if they are adequately equipped.

There may be more improvements from the E4OD to the 4100R but my callous suggestion is to find a different rebuilder.

I'm in TX if ever I can help.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
with a few modifications the 4r100 could be used too.much less effort than a c6 downgrade or a manual trans swap.
however the e4od can be built up to far beyond the needs of an n/a idi engine.just a basic reman from 1990 specs to current spec is a massive upgrade.a pre 1995 e4od to a 1995+ reman spec is far more of an upgrade between a 1995+ e4od to an 4r100 (which is just a 1998+ e4od lol....well,for this arguments sake anyway.it's controlled different and the pump isn't just on/off but.....basically)

Old 09-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So can at E4OD be replaced with a 4100R as simple as bolting one in. I do not understand what is going on. I had my FMX on my mustang rebuilt and it was 750. I had my cougar C4 rebuilt for 700. Yet everyone wants 1300-2000 to rebuild my E4OD and they are not sure that's all its going to cost. I can not get a firm rebuild cost and there is no credible reason why not. These SCAMMers have lost their damn minds on these transmission.

Last edited by Encho; 09-16-2016 at 01:54 AM. Reason: There, I fixed the innapropiate language, please refrain from it
Old 09-15-2016, 06:11 AM
wahlturfcare
Tuned
As it currently sits, I started the truck without the mood hooked up as the rebuilder broke it(backup lights,camera,and buzzer worked before the repair), and not about the spend $90.00 for a new one local.

I was also getting fed up for 5+weeks on a rebuild. Keep saying it needed additional things. Good thing I didn't have to pay the second time around.
For a replacement tranny, and good sources for one completely done already?
Or should I switch to a Allison tranny ( a local bone yard has a good one from a 93 mini bus with a 7.3)

Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
well,there ya go.without the MLPS hooked up the trans cannot work (least not properly).it's electronically controlled.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW.../dp/B000C5BYOY

you want to modify a vehicle to put a trans in,for a lot of $ and several hours of work for a $50 switch and 10 minutes of work after already shelling out the big bucks to have the e4 reman?

Originally Posted by Fordication
So can at E4OD be replaced with a 4100R as simple as bolting one in. I do not understand what is going on. I had my FMX on my mustang rebuilt and it was 750. I had my cougar C4 rebuilt for 700. Yet everyone wants 1300-2000 to rebuild my E4OD and they are not sure that's all its going to cost. I can not get a firm rebuild cost and there is no credible reason why not. These ****ers have lost their damn minds on these transmission.
not exactly.a few modifications need to be done and this only applies to diesel trucks.
if you find a good deal on one,you can swap out a few things from your older e4od to make the 4r100 work in your diesel truck.
e4od and r4100 are drastically more advanced trans than the old c4/fmx/c6 trans.those trans are very basic and simple compared to a modern od unit.yes,they cost more but they get far greater fuel economy,saving you in the long run.
your not going to like this but your quotes are actually fairly light.you might want to try a used trans from a local yard with a 30 day or better warranty if the old truck just isn't worth too much anymore.

for an old yard truck or a hardly used truck anymore,don't even think twice about just sourcing an old school c6.they are still great transmissions but who could afford to drive one? not this guy lol.it's one thing having one in a toy.a whole other ballgame having one in your daily driver.i still need to find a good used c6 for my t-bird but life always gets in the way with other things.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
if so,simply replace the range sensor and she should be ok while in the D position again.
Sorry, that's wrong. A bad range sensor CANNOT prevent engagement in drive. It might not shift up, but drive is engaged without ANY input from the range sensor.

There is something wrong inside your transmission. I don't believe the E4OD is junk, I believe the place that rebuilt it for you doesn't have a clue on how to build a transmission.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Fordication
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks. I guess I will just have to have the E4OD rebuilt. Such a shame the damn thing cost so much and BTW those were not quotes on the mustang or cougar, those were actual cost I paid. Not to mention I paid $1400 to have a for 292 Y block rebuilt with all performance parts. This is Houston and we do things for what they actually cost with profit.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Wheelman55
Mountain Pass
Have you considered getting a remanned e4od from Ford? They offer a three year unlimited mile warranty.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordication
Thanks. I guess I will just have to have the E4OD rebuilt. Such a shame the damn thing cost so much and BTW those were not quotes on the mustang or cougar, those were actual cost I paid. Not to mention I paid $1400 to have a for 292 Y block rebuilt with all performance parts. This is Houston and we do things for what they actually cost with profit.
i meant the e4od reman estimated prices you got are light.generally a well built e4 can set ya back over 3k.some people are willing to pay over 5k for a build so strong,it can hold up to a several hundred foot lb, power stroke,performance engine.
i have no doubt (and actually know this,as i was pricing out a reman c6 for my bird recently) whatsoever an old school 3 speed can be reman for well under 1k.whole different animals.

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Sorry, that's wrong. A bad range sensor CANNOT prevent engagement in drive. It might not shift up, but drive is engaged without ANY input from the range sensor.
that would be incorrect for sure,Mark.poor wording perhaps on my part.i did read back but still not sure how i stated that one lol.
he's getting a bad MLPS code 67.while driving he lost all gears...........now it's possible i took that wrong but i didn't take it literally (meaning he manually shifting into ever gear position on the column and he had nothing).i took it as if to mean while driving (while in the D position) the trans went into neutral and stopped moving....i took it this way due to the matching code of the symptom (67)
it could be very well be a poor assumption on my part however.it just added up is all.to insure i wasn't assuming too much,i did ask him to let us know what happens when shifted manually into the other gears but he hasn't answered.
did he restart the truck and take off in D again? perhaps.that's possible but it's not been stated.even while a MLPS is failing,it can still go back into gear (with a nasty banging re-engagement too.yikes!)

Originally Posted by Wheelman55
Have you considered getting a remanned e4od from Ford? They offer a three year unlimited mile warranty.
and last i knew,those run around 2k.i picked a used one up for approx core price! diesel/4wd version.waiting to replace the one in log truck,my f450.......after i milk her original 1993,190k+ miles, for all she's worth first.
(replaced her pump - poor shape, w/an f5 code/'95+ high volume and a cheap converter)
how old and how many miles on the used ford reman,i dunno but if i put it in and it works i'll be happy.if it doesn't,it was worth the shot lol.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
wahlturfcare, where are you located?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

even while a MLPS is failing,it can still go back into gear (with a nasty banging re-engagement too.yikes!)
Even with a failed MLPS the trans will still have at least first gear when in D. It won't be in neutral, it will be in first gear.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:02 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
oh so it defaults to 1st, but wont go into 1st when going too fast for it, so it goes to N due to that instead.
so if you were to install a specific part of a shift kit which bypasses that system in the valve body,your playing a dangerous game,should the MLPS fail because then,she really would grab 1st......imagine that happening at highway speed lol!

note the "optional gear command feature" in this transgo kit.

so since he was going slow in his driveway it should of simply downshifted into 1st,had the MLPS failed anyway.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

oh so it defaults to 1st, but wont go into 1st when going too fast for it, so it goes to N due to that instead.
No, it goes to first gear. But first gear overruns, so it feels like neutral.

Quick Reply: Another crappy e4od question..