General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hand Gun Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Hand Gun Ideas

Well since I now have the military rifle I wanted I hve been looking at handguns and was wondering what others would recomend. I am looking for fairly cheap (used for $299 and less / new for $450 and less).

So far this is what I have been looking at.

1. Czech CZ82 9x19 Makarov Pistol - Good to Very Good Cond. - Two Magazines & Holster - 12 round double stack magazines - $219.95

2. Russian 1895 Nagant Revolver - 7.62 - 6 shot - $99.95

3. Smith & Wesson .38 Special - 4" Barrel - Very Good Condition - Double Action - Ex Police Sidearm - $239.95

I did have my eye on the Shooters Arms 1911 Military .45ACP with the military style slide stop, one 7 round magazine brand new from JG Sales but I am not liking the $469.95 price tag which doesnt include the shipping fee and then the $50 fee from the local gunshop to accept it and transfer it to me.

I do plan on getting the Czech pistol. I mean its only natural since I am part Czech but the bigger reason is the construction quality and how much more efficent the design is compared to any other gun being made. I would prefer to get it cheaper though but I am looking around $270 - $280 for that pistol after getting it from my local gunshop. He could get me a hand picked one from his supplier and not charge me the $50 fee but he would have to charge me tax. That would be too much considering the one he has in the shop currently is priced at $309.99 and its in good - very good condition but with the slide wear to the bare metal and the price I cant justify that.

But what are some other good vintage hand guns or vintage style that are fairly cheap to look into.

On another note I was also looking at some old 1960`s style AK-47`s semi auto preferably so no class III is required but havent realy found anything like that for a "fair price" in my book.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha Ha. I had to laugh when I saw the title for this thread. Let the opinion war begin!

Oh, and it's Glock for me.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
Ha Ha. I had to laugh when I saw the title for this thread. Let the opinion war begin!

Oh, and it's Glock for me.
lol True probably will be a war but what can I say, its easier to hear what other people think of different hand guns to get a feel for whats out there.

I know I would have never thought about buying the CZ82 until I found out that its a polygonal barrel which has no rifling grooves.

I would like a glock, I did look at alot when I was waiting on the background check for my M91/30, they had one for $600 that had the digital camo pattern on it.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,848 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_S
On another note I was also looking at some old 1960`s style AK-47`s semi auto preferably so no class III is required but havent realy found anything like that for a "fair price" in my book.
If you are looking at anything AK and Class III (Full Auto), you're looking at $15,000 for a cheap one

Anyways, for pistols, I bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 new-in-box from a buddy of mine for $300. Excellent ergonomics for my big hands. 2 mags (12rds), brush, case, manual, etc...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:02 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cabelas runs deals on used glocks (returns from law enforcement) that have been throughly check by glock..my brother just bought a p22 (40 cal) with two clips a case and a holster for 350..

Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I am staying out of this one........I have my favorites.
In handguns, the choices are damn near limitless, go out and try everything in the case, find what works for YOU!
You may find you shoot a revolver better than a auto, or vise versa,find out what suits you best........we can give you our opinions, but you know what they say about opinions and *&^holes!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
If you are looking at anything AK and Class III (Full Auto), you're looking at $15,000 for a cheap one

Anyways, for pistols, I bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45 new-in-box from a buddy of mine for $300. Excellent ergonomics for my big hands. 2 mags (12rds), brush, case, manual, etc...
Really? I found some AK`s for way less than $15,000, this one here is $699.95 but its still too high for my tastes. I also found one that looks like an AK47 but its called a Polish M60 and its new from Century Arms but it says to contact your local FFL dealer to get the price.

What you think about the Taurus? I saw a video review by a gunsmith on youtube on a Taurus revolver and he was saying that Taurus is getting pretty good at quality fire arms.

Originally Posted by im2tall33
cabelas runs deals on used glocks (returns from law enforcement) that have been throughly check by glock..my brother just bought a p22 (40 cal) with two clips a case and a holster for 350..
Sounds good, I will have to keep an eye out with cabelas. I would buy one of their black powder revolvers just for display but they still wont ship a black powder revolver to anyone without a FFL even though last I checked in Texas you could buy black powder guns at 15.

Originally Posted by Old93junk
In handguns, the choices are damn near limitless, go out and try everything in the case, find what works for YOU!
You may find you shoot a revolver better than a auto, or vise versa,find out what suits you best........we can give you our opinions, but you know what they say about opinions and *&^holes!
lol I know what you mean, but I am not so much asking what to get just some different makes/models to look into. As you stated yourself choices are damn near limitless and I have no idea on where to look to find all the different models and their pros/cons. Lately ive just been looking online at gundealers online and if I see something I like the looks of then I look into video reviews on them.

Thats where I found out that the CZ-82 has no rifling but is very accurate and the polygonal bore is way more efficent because theres no grooves for the expanding gasses to escape around the bullet. I wouldnt have known that because when I was looking at the pistols he had I was looking at the big pistols up around .40 - .45 even though this .38 CZ82 would be pretty good for the money.

Oh yea another pistol I was looking at was the Automag .44 that if I remember correctly uses the .44 ACP rounds and came with an upgradeable slide to convert to a .45. I would like to get one regardless of what others say about the jamming issues of them just because of how nice it looks. But I am not going to pay a few thousand for a used pistol though.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Really? I found some AK`s for way less than $15,000, this one here is $699.95 but its still too high for my tastes. I also found one that looks like an AK47 but its called a Polish M60 and its new from Century Arms but it says to contact your local FFL dealer to get the price.

What you think about the Taurus? I saw a video review by a gunsmith on youtube on a Taurus revolver and he was saying that Taurus is getting pretty good at quality fire arms.
You said class III in your original post. Class III is a general term used for describing Full Auto, short barrel rifles, destructive devices, suppressors, etc... That's what gets expensive. An ordinary semi-auto can be had for $350 and up.

I really like my Taurus. I carry it everywhere I go, and even though it's a full-frame .45, I barely notice it on my hip. I don't know if it will take the abuse of a Glock, but I won't be rolling around in mudholes with my gun on me either

Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
A very wise man once wrote:
Originally Posted by Old93junk
"And that's all I have to say about tha-at."

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
You said class III in your original post. Class III is a general term used for describing Full Auto, short barrel rifles, destructive devices, suppressors, etc... That's what gets expensive. An ordinary semi-auto can be had for $350 and up.

I really like my Taurus. I carry it everywhere I go, and even though it's a full-frame .45, I barely notice it on my hip. I don't know if it will take the abuse of a Glock, but I won't be rolling around in mudholes with my gun on me either

I agree, I would really prefer a semi auto AK47 style rifle so I wouldnt need a class III license. Plus If I ever did want to convert I am sure I could find something under the table. I have found conversion kits to make marlin .22`s full auto but never saw the point for doing that to a .22. While I would love a class III full auto AK47 I think a semi auto would be better for tactical use over a full auto.

Looks real nice and it looks to be balanced very well. The groove under the barrel in the front is that possibly for the aftermarket laser/flashlight/bayonet I keep seeing in Cabela`s catalog?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Taurus PT1911, and have been very happy with it but then I like large frame handguns. It's a classic design, heavy enough that recoil is not an issue plus the 1911 design pushes back instead of up making rapid fire a lot easier.
I also have a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus, and that thing is pretty sweet. Decently built, 15+1 capacity due to a double stack mag, has enough weight to be controllable yet conceals easily especially in a shoulder harness. $360 MSRP.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
I agree, I would really prefer a semi auto AK47 style rifle so I wouldnt need a class III license. Plus If I ever did want to convert I am sure I could find something under the table. I have found conversion kits to make marlin .22`s full auto but never saw the point for doing that to a .22. While I would love a class III full auto AK47 I think a semi auto would be better for tactical use over a full auto.

Looks real nice and it looks to be balanced very well. The groove under the barrel in the front is that possibly for the aftermarket laser/flashlight/bayonet I keep seeing in Cabela`s catalog?
You don't really get a "license" per say. You must find a Class III dealer (no ordinary gun store can deal with NFA weapons), and buy the gun first ($15,000 and up). Then the gun store holds the gun while you send $200, a passport photo, fingerprints, signature of the chief LEO of your jurisdiction (or a judge), and send it off to the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). You will then wait up to 6 months for permission (a tax stamp and some paperwork) to pick up your rifle. You must keep the paperwork with the rifle at all times. ATF agents love to hang around gun ranges.

And you cannot "convert" anything to full auto. Yes, there are kits for the .22's and AR's...but they are not true full auto kits, which is the only reason companies can sell them. Since 1986, NO firearm manufacturer has been able to make and sell NFA items to the public (only to LEO and Military contracts). Also, ANY firearm originally made as a semi-auto, CANNOT be converted to Full Auto (with the exception of some H&K rifles...which uses a sear. The sear is treated like a seperate rifle and all NFA rules apply to it) Ex.: S&H HK Auto Sears

Either way...you mess up, and you spend 10 years in prison on felony charges and $250,000 in fines, and you will never be able to own a gun again

Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
I agree, I would really prefer a semi auto AK47 style rifle so I wouldnt need a class III license. Plus If I ever did want to convert I am sure I could find something under the table.
I have found conversion kits to make marlin .22`s full auto but never saw the point for doing that to a .22. While I would love a class III full auto AK47 I think a semi auto would be better for tactical use over a full auto.
Read this, again- - - - ->

You don't really get a "license" per say. You must find a Class III dealer (no ordinary gun store can deal with NFA weapons), and buy the gun first ($15,000 and up). Then the gun store holds the gun while you send $200, a passport photo, fingerprints, signature of the chief LEO of your jurisdiction (or a judge), and send it off to the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives). You will then wait up to 6 months for permission (a tax stamp and some paperwork) to pick up your rifle. You must keep the paperwork with the rifle at all times. ATF agents love to hang around gun ranges.

And you cannot "convert" anything to full auto. Yes, there are kits for the .22's and AR's...but they are not true full auto kits, which is the only reason companies can sell them. Since 1986, NO firearm manufacturer has been able to make and sell NFA items to the public (only to LEO and Military contracts). Also, ANY firearm originally made as a semi-auto, CANNOT be legally converted to Full Auto (with the exception of some H&K rifles...which uses a sear. The sear is treated like a seperate rifle and all NFA rules apply to it) Ex.: S&H HK Auto Sears

Either way...you mess up, and you spend 10 years in prison on felony charges and $250,000 in fines, and you will never be able to own a gun again

The word 'legally' added by me.

The thought of 10 years in the Federal Graybar Hotel is enough to keep me from even thinking about converting a firearm!
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the possesion of an 'auto sear' or the parts to convert a semi-auto (anything) and that semi-auto firearm, in the opinion of the BATFE constitutes intent, and will lead to 10 years and/or $$$ fine.

If you would actually shoot a full-auto arm, then shoot a semi-auto arm of the same type/style, you'd see that the only thing that the full-auto arm can do (better than the semi-auto) is use more ammo.

BTW. . . GREAT post, ATC!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
If you're part Czech, and want to stick to your roots, I'd look at a CZ 75 before I got an 82.

If it were me, I'd find the best deal on a used pistol I'm interested in and go with that. There will always be time to get something more specific at some point in the future.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Read this, again- - - - ->

The word 'legally' added by me.

The thought of 10 years in the Federal Graybar Hotel is enough to keep me from even thinking about converting a firearm!
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the possesion of an 'auto sear' or the parts to convert a semi-auto (anything) and that semi-auto firearm, in the opinion of the BATFE constitutes intent, and will lead to 10 years and/or $$$ fine.

If you would actually shoot a full-auto arm, then shoot a semi-auto arm of the same type/style, you'd see that the only thing that the full-auto arm can do (better than the semi-auto) is use more ammo.

BTW. . . GREAT post, ATC!
Good eye on the "legally" part

Actually, you can own the full auto parts of a weapon (lets use an AK for example since there are too many guns out there that come in both semi and full auto). In fact, every AK parts kit you buy comes with the full auto bolt carrier, bolt, auto sear, the trigger group and the pin for the sear. The receiver will either be cut with a torch, or be missing completely, as it was destroyed prior to entering the country.

I can own a semi-auto AK, and all the full auto parts. HOWEVER...if I were to drill the ONE hole in my receiver...and ATF found out...I would be done! Doesn't matter if I installed the parts or not...as long as that hole is there, they consider it a full-auto conversion.

Here is a good thread, with some information a few posts down:

The AK Forum - Login

Quick Reply: Hand Gun Ideas