Sponsored by:

PUZZLING ISSUE WITH NITE BRONCO

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:04 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PUZZLING ISSUE WITH NITE BRONCO

I recently bought a 92 Nite Bronco, and was forewarned that it had some sort of electrical problem and wouldn't start. I got it home, and started tinkering with it, and I'm utterly baffled. With a fresh battery out of my running 96 EB, turn the key, and NOTHING. Power to the lights, radio, all the accessories, but nothing. I crossed out the solenoid, the motor will spin SLOWLY. The fuel pump does not come on, I checked the fuel rail, no fuel or pressure. I changed the computer, the starter switch under the steering column, and every other electronic device I could think of, out of my running 96, with the same result. The only think it does when you try to start it is the relays under the hood click, and I changed all of those out as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guy I got it from said it ran when he got it (he inherited it after a friend died) but the tranny was slipping. He changed the tranny fluid and filter which fell out upon removing the pan (the possible cause for it slipping) and never got it cranked again. I know it's got to be something simple, but hell if I know, I'm counting on ya'll to show me the light.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:56 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Also, distributor and pickup have been replaced, by the previous owner. It's like it's not recognizing that the key is telling it to crank.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sometimes fuel pumps die or get stuck when they aren't put to work in a long time. First of all, get under the truck and hit the gas tank (a mace would work ok, try not to deform the tank, but give it some firm shakes) and try to start the truck. If that doesn´t work, swap the fuel pump relay (for a quick try, you can switch the relay with any other similar one). With the info you gave us, i think it's the fuel pump wich is causing the trouble (it will probably need replacing, just be warned).

Old 03-14-2010, 07:49 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Don't think it's the fuel pump, I have a receipt showing where it was changed recently. I have been doing research, and have any of you ever heard of the Neutral Safety Switch causing something like this?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
More specifically the MLPS?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:47 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The MLPS can cause starting issues if the shift linkage is misaligned or loose and/or the switch/sensor itself is damaged or loose. Its something you might look into in this case.

Are you getting full battery voltage at the starter? You might check the cables and connections. Do an actual resistance check on the positive cables running to the solenoid and the starter with both ends of the cables disconnected. You can get a +12VDC reading but only be getting a few amps through a bad cable which would cause the slow starter motor and lack of ignition. The starter pulls a significant amount of power down those cables and too much resistance (usually caused by corrosion or poor connections) will keep it from starting as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Greystreak here. If you have a fully charged battery you have got some high resistance going on some where , probably battery cables or grounds. I have seen the inside of cables green with corrosion but the outside looks great.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Grogtronics
Senior User
This really does sound like a bad ground on your starter. Disconect all your wires and clean the ends and put them back on especially down under the motor where the starter is. Also check for any corrosion between the starter and the engine block.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by thecardoc
I agree with Greystreak here. If you have a fully charged battery you have got some high resistance going on some where , probably battery cables or grounds. I have seen the inside of cables green with corrosion but the outside looks great.
I have personally experienced this situation and had the cause be positive battery and starter cables corroded from the inside. The insulation and ends of the wire looked fine but when I took a meter to them I was getting better than 12 ohms resistance! Sure, the meter still showed battery voltage at the other end but there was no amperage. Like trying to put out a warehouse fire with a garden hose.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Ok, I see what ya'll are saying, but again, NO fuel pressure either, pump doesn't come on. The starter ONLY spins if I turn the key on and cross the solenoid, and there is no fire from the coil, And it stopped running when the previous owner changed the tranny filter, I'm about to go put my 96 EB in gear and try and start it, and see if I get the same thing, the only thing that happens on the bad truck is that the odometer goes off.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
96 EB does the SAME thing as the 92 Nite! I'm nearly convinced that it's the MLPS, I just have to get the time to go check it.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Slight kink, the fuel pump comes on in the 96, so it may be the battery cable...

Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 PM
BULLETPROOF4.9
Junior User
Ok, so it wasn't the battery cables, (although the ground cable was rather corroded) anyone else have any suggestions? Like I said before, no fire to the coil, replaced all electrical components I can think of, when cranking it, it just spins slowly, even with a hot battery. I'm still thinking MLPS.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
fordinlinesix
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some mice might have chewed on some wires

Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Grogtronics
Senior User
Just for giggles check your impact sensor. This bit me in the a$$ once it only takes a second to reset it if it is tripped it shuts off your fuel pump and ignition.

Quick Reply: PUZZLING ISSUE WITH NITE BRONCO