Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Replacement Questions

It looks like my fuel pump died. Can't find anything wrong with the relays and inertia switch. When I hit the gas tank with a hammer, I can get it to work again until I stop the engine and then it is bad again unless I whack the tank.

Questions:
- Any special precautions / tools required for gas tank R&R?
- Which fuel pump do you recommend I get. Who is OEM? I.e. at Rock Auto there are 5 different manufacturers listed.
- Anyone tried the repair kits where you only replace the motor / pump part, or should I go with a full assembly?
- I like to buy stuff at AutoZone but they only have 1 year warranty on their unit. Anyone offer lifetime?

Thanks!

George

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey there. the only special tool i recall using was a Fuel line remover, a (big) fuel container and whatever tool for extracting fuel you seem fit (i use just a hose and hated it). The precautions: wichever necesary when working with fuel: work away from any flames and in a place with a fresh air supply. About the fuel pump... well, the brand should be any good Original Equipment Manufacture, but i really have no advice. For the kit, well, it isn't such a bad choice (but it will be more work), check the plastic housing, if it's in good shape use the kit (personally i wouldn't get myself in that trouble, as taking the tank down is a pain. I would just swap the whole thing). Don't get limited by a place/shop, try others i say, and good luck!.

Also: Drive until you get the fuel level is as low as you can before you attemp the fix, it will make handling the tank a lot easier (i got stuck with a 1/2 full tank and it was a pain getting all the fuel out).

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Encho,

Unfortunately the tank is 1/3 full and I don't want to drive it any more, worried that I may get stranded. I'll see that I get a 12V electrical fuel pump and rig it with some hoses. That's worked well for me in the past. Call the neighbor over with their car and tell them they get free gas - that way I can avoid buying 10 gallons worth of storage containers.

What did you put in when you changed your pump?

Not looking forward to this one ... but what are you going to do? Sometimes I wish I wouldn't know how to fix stuff ...

George

Old 03-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
If you're in a hurry, just place the jack under the tank and take it down slowly. Of course, driving it isn't a very safe option, i just thought like some short trips (still, not a good idea)... I supposedly installed a Nippon Denso, wich i'm pretty sure it wasn't, but i won't mind it until i have to change it again (in my country the new housing i got with the pump is worth more than what i paid for the whole thing). Before you do anything else, check the pigtail connector above the tank when you take it down, it was what was working bad in my truck, my friend repaired it and i had no more issues (still i swapped the old pump, but i have it stored).

Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 PM
ES5280
Freshman User
Just thinking outside the box here but you state that you can get it started right? I would just start it up, put it in neutral and rig up a brick or heavy book on top of the gas pedal with a catch (another brick or book) underneath the gas pedal and let it rev about 2800 RPMs for a few hours to get rid of the gas. Is this time consuming? Yeah..but it is an easy alternative to your problem, then you don’t have to worry about a ton of gas in the tank and babysitting that matter. This is what my dad did on my mom’s car that needed a new fuel pump.

Sorry no suggestions on what Mfr. to go with for the pump. Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I wouldn't go that way, letting an started 2ton machine capable of self propelled displacement is a no-no safety wise, enviromentally its like... well..., it won't do any good to the engine being revved (3000 is actually a high number, about 2/3 of the recommended max.) when parked, because of the engine heat, etc, amongst other dangers and issues.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have replaced the fuel pump twice, and in both cases I just siphoned off most of the gas. The 2nd time it died the same day I filled up, so I had to burn off ~30 gallons in a borrowed car.

The fuel pump assembly is somewhat complicated to take apart and put it back together, so buy only the motor if you're skilled, otherwise get the whole thing.

The first time I had dirt in some of the quick disconnect fittings, and that made disconnection a royal PITA. As a matter of fact, I ended up taking down the fuel tank with one half of one of the line still connected.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
bmrboyk1100
4wd Low
don't sweat it too much. You can release the tank onto jackstands and then transfer it to the ground fairly easily. But do take note of the pigtail connector. It will go back on two ways, but only works one way.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
ES5280
Freshman User
Yeah, probably not a good idea to run the Bronco till the gas runs out for safety reasons...but then again that is why I said I was thinking outside the box!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Thanks everyone for helping with replies. Much appreciated!

I was thinking about just taking it up and down the mountain road behind my house until it is empty. But even at 10mpg that would be 100 miles of driving. 3-4 hours and the risk of getting stranded. The MrGasket fuel pump is about $40 and siphons out the gas nicely. I am ordering one right now from Summit.

So, any more input on the make and model of replacement fuel pump to use? What holds up best? The AutoZone brand is Airtex. I did not find any review of the particular model online but the Airtex pumps I found referenced got good reviews. Any input???

Thanks,

George

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Ok, just got done and Bronco is running again!

I used the Airtex brand from AutoZone. Had to splice into the stock wires and used some shrink tubing to make it more solid. The Airtex pump looked well made with wiring that was better insulated than the OEM. The pump that came out said "Ford" on it - I think it may have been the original one.

This job was a PITA. The large connection didn't budge (I have some quality fuel line tools but no luck). I took it off the fuel filter and just removed the entire line.

The good thing is that this is a CA car and there was no rust anywhere.

Final tip: Remove all gas from the tank - makes it very easy to lug around / put back in. I would recommend siphoning it completely dry like I did. (I used the MrGasket12V pump and some fuel hose).

Thanks again everyone!

George