1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Lights question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM
BenB35
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights question

Since i have to replace a front headlight anyways, i was just wondering if anyone knows what the brightest bulb i can stuff in there is? or does anyone know of an HID conversion kit i can get? i have HID's with projectors in my current car and i don't want to go back to anything dull

Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM
70_RangerXLT
Senior User
Check ebay.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
be aware of the fact that if you go too high powered,you may end up seeing really bright lights in your rear view mirrors,as in the flashing kind,with someone in uniform standing in front of them....

Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
68horses
Senior User
BenB35,
DO NOT put any halogens, HID or any other kind of brighter (higher amperage draw) headlights in your truck without first powering the headlights through a relay!!! It WILL burn out your headlight switch and possibly some or all of the wiring from the switch to the headlights! A relay setup is very simple and inexpensive to do. Click this link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...r_Brights.html
You can leave out the "forced low beam" and "high beam flash" if you like but the rest is good info and very simple and straight forward. You can basically use the existing wiring all the way to where it plugs onto your passenger side headlight to control the relays. The wiring in these trucks was just barely enough to run standard lights when the truck was new and after 35+ years ???????? Well you get the picture. Good luck and have fun.
Gene

Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
MotorDog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head Light wattage..............

When new, these trucks came with regular sealed beam lamps which had 40 watt low beam and 50 watt high beams. The Federal Department of Transportation has some regulations about wattage, but I am unsure as to what their limits are. Besides, I've never hear of the FBI ticketing folks for bright headlights, but maybe...... Anyway, most States have laws regarding the wattage allowed on car headlamps. Check your state's laws and regulations to be sure you're okay with whatever you do. We are allowed 65 watt high beams and 55 watt low beams. In Halogen, this wattage is very dramatic and bright. It is even brighter in HID stuff. But, here is what I did to my 70 CS. Got a Headlight Relay Harness from LMC, and installed Wagner Haolgen sealed beams with 65/55 watt bulbs. They are absolutely the "Cat's Meow!" Total cost was about $85 for the whole deal. L:MC also has some nice Head Lamps which require the use of a replaceable bulb which cost about $80 alone for the two. They come with Halogen bults with 55/65 Watt Blues. You can also get 80/100 Watt bulbs for these head lamps which would exceed local regulations here but would be awful bright! Total cost would be about $150 to go that way........... Total Installation time was less than 40 minutes.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:00 PM
BenB35
New User
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll look around and see what i can find and i'll hopefully get a better idea of what i can do from that. i'm going to check the regulations about lighting on monday but where i live, the cops don't care as long as you aren't cruising around with your high's on

Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BenB35
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll look around and see what i can find and i'll hopefully get a better idea of what i can do from that. i'm going to check the regulations about lighting on monday but where i live, the cops don't care as long as you aren't cruising around with your high's on
I guess your in a different jurisdiction than MotorDog,he apparently runs into the FBI a lot while driving............A lot of times,lights are kinda like things like front license plates,tires outside of fenderwells,and broken taillights....they may not get you pulled over directly,but upon a vehicle inspection they might get additional stuff tacked onto a ticket.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
BenB35
New User
Originally Posted by iggybob44
I guess your in a different jurisdiction than MotorDog,he apparently runs into the FBI a lot while driving............A lot of times,lights are kinda like things like front license plates,tires outside of fenderwells,and broken taillights....they may not get you pulled over directly,but upon a vehicle inspection they might get additional stuff tacked onto a ticket.

Yeah i'm in BC, Canada lol. a little ways away

Old 08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
MotorDog
Senior User
Head Light Relay system.............

Even if you just replace your sealed beams with standard ones, give a good consideration to installing a head light relay system. Total cost with shipping is only $40 and you will be amazed by what happens to the original sealed beams. They are even brighter! The reason for that is because the head lamps then get their current directly from the battery, not passing through the headlight switch. The headlight switch only is there to turn on and off the relays that control the headlamps after this installation. Then you can choose just about any kind of head lamp system, HID blue, Halogen Blue/White, Regular, etc. Best investment of time and money I can think of!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 PM
BenB35
New User
Yeah i looked over the article today and it sounds very straight forward, I think i'll tackle it next weekend and I'll go from there Baby steps!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
71fordkid
Senior User
blinker wiring question.

Edit, forgot to start a new topic.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
19704X4F250
Posting Guru
I have seen the exact type of setup mounted in a tupperware box with a lid to protect the relays from salt, mud, etc. Or mount the relays in the cab out of the weather.