1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Automatic and manual transmission capable truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 AM
John Buck
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic and manual transmission capable truck?

I have seen those newer trucks that are seemingly capable of being an automatic transmission and also a manual transmission, how is that possible? Also can that be done to a 97 f350 xlt dually?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
That would be a manually controlled automatic transmission. You can do it with your shift lever on the column.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:06 AM
John Buck
Junior User
A manually controlled automatic transmission? Meaning that it is capable of being both a regular manual shifting transmission by shifting using the steering column when put into m, manual, and also being an automatic transmission when putting into D, drive?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
You're going to need to talk about the modern trucks and the OBS trucks differently because their transmissions are different.

With modern trucks, it is an automatic transmission with a torque converter (not a clutch) that is manually controlled with a button when in the shifter is in M. So, it is like a full manual valve body essentially.

These OBS auto trucks can be manually shifted through the gears by selecting 1, 2, D (with OD off), and OD on using the column shifter.

Hopefully that made sense.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM
John Buck
Junior User
So it's not really a manual 5 speed transmission when the shifter is in, M, or is it? but can also be an automatic transmission when in, D,

and the 1 and 2 are low gears for hauling and whatnot, not necessarily to actually drive in unless going up and down hills so you dont set your brakes on fire by overheating and overuse of them.

wanted to know if you could put that kind of a transmission into a 97 350 xlt dually 4x4 is why I am asking

Old 05-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Both of them are always automatic transmissions, it just depends on what/who is telling the transmission to change gears. If you have the trans in "manual mode", it's still an automatic trans but you are telling the computer to butt out and let the driver handle shifts. Same with our trucks, if you have it in D, you are allowing the computer to tell the trans when to shift. When you move the shifter to 1/2/D/OD, etc, the driver is controlling when the transmission changes.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:49 AM
John Buck
Junior User
Alright that's pretty much what I was thinking it was, manual shifting mode when in, m, I would imagine is good for heavy hauling so it won't wear out the transmission as much, but as for the specific off road mudding aspect you couldn't jump the gear to 3 or 4 for burnouts I would imagine, being the automatic transmission it actually is wouldn't allow that kind of gear skipping those higher gears would have to be shifted up to period.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
That's correct. These trucks aren't meant for burnouts, they're meant to haul heavy loads.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:21 PM
John Buck
Junior User
Exactly what I thought from the start, thanks for the info,

have you ever heard of or could it be done to put one of those transmissions into an older 97 f350 xlt truck? I plan on putting the competition 7.3 engine and the 900hp performance package from swampsdiesel.com, and the 5R street performance transmission from jwtt.com

wanted to see if I could get that newer truck type transmission with that manual shifting automatic transmission type when I order the the transmission from jwtt.com and put all of that in my truck, I plan on putting the 2018 f350 supercrew king ranch interior all dyed and blacked out into my 97 f350 xlt crew cab as well.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
You will have quite a custom setup with all that. Anything besides an E4OD will require a standalone trans controller and some custom tuning. Gonna be pretty expensive but since you're getting that crate engine from Swamps, I guess money doesn't really matter...

Long story short, anything is possible, You can even get a controller for the stock trans to let you do what you are wanting. The question will be which way will cost the least amount of money.... Honestly, if you want to go around blowing black smoke and doing burnouts, I really think you have the wrong truck here. I would go get a ppump 12v with NV4500 and go to town with that.

Are you planning on doing all the work yourself? motor/trans swap, install, parts sourcing, tuning, etc?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM
John Buck
Junior User
I mean rolling coal is kind of fun and all but I'm building my dream truck here, and its not necessarily of money not being an issue as not compromising when it comes to my dream truck and that crate engine is just a complete engine with most everything I'm looking for in it, and wanting to put out 1000hp is my end goal that 900hp performance package will get me there with fine tuning the last 100hp or so within a more reasonable ball park,

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of the work myself but I'm about to go into the marines and wont have that much time on my hands for quite awhile, and as of now I work 70 hours a week every week, so I have to send the truck off to get the rest done while I'm away,

also been reading this forum:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f14/what-if-swapping-5r110-6r140-behind-

for the 64140 transmission, about the controller aspect, because you're most certainly right about the cost of that.