Oil & Lubrication  

The Poor Mans Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:46 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
43% life remaining. I had a lot of idling on the cycle, so I am very curious about contamination. I just dropped the oil into the mail yesterday, so it will be a few weeks to get the results.

Ok, if your curious about moisture/condensate in the oil, you could do a "crakle test" in the link, to get an idea of how much moisture is in your used oil.
Will be interesting to see what the UOA shows.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
If the oil is warm, or at room temp when we do the test, it'll register faster so we can get a quicker idea what's going on.
I'd think it would be the only way to do it really, all the condensation boiled off, everything in suspension so it's more of a representative sample, and yes quicker spread time etc.

Can one buy actual blotter paper? (Outside of a Greatful Death concert I mean) I'd think that works better than a business card paper.

Sent from a pay phone

Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
I'd think it would be the only way to do it really, all the condensation boiled off, everything in suspension so it's more of a representative sample, and yes quicker spread time etc.

Can one buy actual blotter paper? (Outside of a Greatful Death concert I mean) I'd think that works better than a business card paper.

Sent from a pay phone
If your wondering about condensate/water concentration, maybe try performing the "Crackle Test" in the earlier posted link & let us know how it goes

Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 PM
onug
Postmaster
Here are my results. As noted in the sample, there's 4,456 miles on the oil. They were run over a total of 101 days; 161 hrs (32 at idle). The oil meter in the truck was down to 43%.

The weather here in Seattle has been all over the place this fall and winter; wet, dry, warm, and very cold. The last two weeks before the oil change were in the low to mid 20's in the morning. This is our only vehicle, so it's run daily. I'd say 99% of my starts are with the remote start and warm up ranges from 60 seconds to 10 min. Even if I don't use the auto start, I wait about 30 seconds before moving so all the engine start-up whistles and sounds can calm down.

Weekdays are 40+ miles of freeway driving, weekend are typically city driving, but day-long road trips are taken every month or two. I use Sport mode at least a few times a week. No towing or heavy loads, besides my canopy and truck gear that's always there (about 500lbs).

Regarding the idle time, I probably idle the engine two to three times a week for 60 minutes. That takes up a lot of the 32 hours of idle, but there's a lot of stop-and-go driving in my evening commute. Would be interesting to know how the computer calculates idle time. I'm guessing it doesn't include any "stopped" time while in gear. So those 32 hours are probably just auto starts and waiting for kids to finish their weekday activity.

I thought I smelled gas in the oil a month ago when I was checking the level, but I think I convinced myself it had fuel mixed in after following this thread. I didn't smell fuel when I changed the oil, but it did smell different. It looked and smelled burnt, but the UOA shows my nose doesn't know.

Overall it looks like M1 is a good oil for my engine and driving characteristics.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 PM
pawpaw
Everything but 100 C viscosity looks ok. Kinda seems the twin turbo is beating this oil up a good bit & its not taking it very well, as Mobil-1 has a 100C viscosity around 11 cSt & this recipe sheared down to 9 cSt after only 4456 miles. Which recipe Mobil-1 was it?

Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 PM
onug
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Which recipe Mobil-1 was it?
The standard silver bottle full synthetic

Old 01-11-2017, 12:04 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by onug
The standard silver bottle full synthetic
Ok, that's the 11 cSt recipe, thought to be mostly a Gp111 mineral base oil, so maybe that's why it sheared down nearly 2 grades in only 4456 miles.
You might consider trying one of their extended mileage recipes, as they are thought to have the higher quality ester base oils that could maybe tolerate more twin turbo punishment without viscosity shearing down so much.