1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying squeeky center console/armrest/jump seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Ford Bandit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying squeeky center console/armrest/jump seat

I have the 60/40 seat with fold down "jump seat" that has the 2 cup holders and console. In the down position, it squeeks something fierce on any kind of a bumpy/rough surface. On paved roads it's fine.

Anyone run across a fix for this?!?!?!?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
I assume you have a 1978 high boy?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Ford Bandit
Freshman User
Your assumption is incorrect. 2005 F250 XLT super duty.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM
SAF001
New User
I know what you are talking about mine does the same thing, but i have no idea how to fix it.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Haha, dang it. I was so close!

Not so much a fix as a treatment. I have used silicone spray on the hinges and latches with some relief. I think the problem is the rubber bumpers dry out and squeak. Since mine has cracked at the back from me leaning on it it seems to squeak less.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 PM
SAF001
New User
Ill take a look at mine and see if i can find anything

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Spray with a little Fluid Film. It is thicker than silicone and will both lube the pivot bushings and kill the cricket.

Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor look for a familiar name and mention FTE.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
RobSp8
New User
Problem fixed

Ok. It stops when you lean on it, it is not the hinges rather the structure underneath has broken or come loose, or in my case both. Remove padding around cupholders, pry w screwdriver, tabs will prob break so have some Goop glue handy. Remove trim ring just inside all around armrest/console. Pull seat cover down and remove foam, look for loose screws, broken tabs, remove broken tabs (that is actually what was squeaking). Put back together and enjoy a nice quiet ride!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 of mine do it too. I've sprayed fluid film on all the hinges etc, but it sounds like it's coming from the front of the console, just can't figure out where. Not being able to locate the squeak, I just open the cover and buckle it in tight with the center belt. Noise is gone and it doesn't wobble around nearly as much.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
I just did the fluid film on mine today and so far so good. We'll see how long it lasts.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:16 PM
randy4371
New User
2006 F-250 Loose center console seat

I have had a loose center console in my F-250 2006 for a while now. I finally took it apart and fixed the problem. Mine was loose on the rear passenger side. If laying flat with the door open you could pull the passenger side up and down a little with the door. This also produced an annoying squeak. One post said to take the trim off around the cup holder, which I did. If you do, be prepared to break the clips. For my situation, this was not needed. Just remove the metal pins that hold the flip up lid on. There are 2 rods, use a small screw driver and pry them toward each front seat until you can pull them out. Take cover off. Next there is a small trim piece that hold the fabric on to the console. Use a putty knife or small screw driver to gently remove. Insert the screw driver on the side away from the material or leather. The teeth that hold the trim piece on are on the inside. I used a small putty knife and gently pushed the trim piece toward the fabric to release it. Do this from the back to around half way to the cup holders on each side. Be careful not to break the trim piece. Then pull the fabric down away from the frame in the rear and move the foam until you find the loose screw or screws. Then reverse the process. about a fifteen minute job. I wouldn't remove the trim around the cup holder unless absolutely necessary. I would say most of the time the loose screw will be on the rear passenger side due to the driver always putting pressure on his side.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:11 PM
ebbnflow
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by randy4371
I have had a loose center console in my F-250 2006 for a while now. I finally took it apart and fixed the problem. Mine was loose on the rear passenger side. If laying flat with the door open you could pull the passenger side up and down a little with the door. This also produced an annoying squeak. One post said to take the trim off around the cup holder, which I did. If you do, be prepared to break the clips. For my situation, this was not needed. Just remove the metal pins that hold the flip up lid on. There are 2 rods, use a small screw driver and pry them toward each front seat until you can pull them out. Take cover off. Next there is a small trim piece that hold the fabric on to the console. Use a putty knife or small screw driver to gently remove. Insert the screw driver on the side away from the material or leather. The teeth that hold the trim piece on are on the inside. I used a small putty knife and gently pushed the trim piece toward the fabric to release it. Do this from the back to around half way to the cup holders on each side. Be careful not to break the trim piece. Then pull the fabric down away from the frame in the rear and move the foam until you find the loose screw or screws. Then reverse the process. about a fifteen minute job. I wouldn't remove the trim around the cup holder unless absolutely necessary. I would say most of the time the loose screw will be on the rear passenger side due to the driver always putting pressure on his side.
Thank you! Mine was doing the exact same thing. I found drivers side screw was half way backed out. Passenger side screw had fallen out and was sitting in the foam. Tightened screws with a little thread locker. All better now!

Old 06-29-2021, 09:36 AM
tchevk13
New User
Originally Posted by RobSp8
Ok. It stops when you lean on it, it is not the hinges rather the structure underneath has broken or come loose, or in my case both. Remove padding around cupholders, pry w screwdriver, tabs will prob break so have some Goop glue handy. Remove trim ring just inside all around armrest/console. Pull seat cover down and remove foam, look for loose screws, broken tabs, remove broken tabs (that is actually what was squeaking). Put back together and enjoy a nice quiet ride!!!
wish I could buy you a beer