Sponsored by:

Damned Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damned Porsches

So I'm cruising down the highway behind some guy doing 60mph, slowly passing the ohter lane doing 55mph. Finally we've passed all the cars, and I go to pass the guy. He speeds up. I speed up. He speeds up. I speed up. This goes on for a moment, the guy doesn't want me to pass him, and we're doing 95mph. About to get off an off ramp and merge onto another highway, so I have to slow down and get behind him. This guy takes the off ramp at 40mph, incredibly slow, as the posted speed limit for the offramp was 50mph. We get onto the other highway, and I gun it, and so does he, to maintain being in front of me and slowing me down. At this point i'm near irate... The road is littered with cars, it's 3 lanes, i'm behind him in the far left lane who's behind someone else. There's a truck in the center lane, and misc in the right lane. Suddenly I see a guy next to the truck in the right lane get off, so I drop to the middle lane, then the right lane, making sure to signal properly each time, gun it in the right lane, pass the truck, pass the porsche who is still behind the car in the left lane. Traffic has a clear shot if i weave a bit, and I take off. I hit 97mph and cruise, periodically signaling to change lanes, watching the porsche in my rear view constantly trying to catch up to me, but keeps getting blocked by other cars. Then I get off at my exit and go to work.

I wouldn't have had any problem if the guy wanted to drive slow, that's fine, but don't think it's your job to slow me down. Have some common courtesy. There's no reason to do that to people. The signs and laws say Keep Right, Pass Left. If you're not passing, get over. In my driving, I did not cut a single person off, i signaled every lane change, and at no time did I impede another vehicle. Why can't others offer the same courtesy?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
...and did you do all this while typing this thread on your iPhone? lol. Just kidding with you.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
The signs and laws say Keep Right, Pass Left. If you're not passing, get over.
In what state were you traveling in?
Not all state laws say that. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

I live in Michigan. When traveling here, where there is three or more lanes, it is customary for those that are traveling with traffic and are not going to exit anytime soon, to travel in the left lane. This practice makes sense to me. Otherwise, there is a constant fight for everyone always trying to merge back into the right lane; then dodge cars trying to merge into the freeway flow and those trying to get right to leave the freeway...

Be careful of stirring up some Road Rage - or else you could end up wrinkling up your Ex or get shot at!

BarnieTrk

Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Funny, I recall back when I was living in NJ, you keep right, pass left. State troopers issue tickets for failure to keep right. The far left lane was for passing only. Semi trucks were not allowed in the far left lanes. That's why interstates always have 3 lanes...in NJ anyway.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
JaySVX
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nah, i follow the state law, which is no talking on cell phone without the use of a hands-free headset. I pay maticulious attention to the road, i race autocross, i'm always looking all over.

As in NJ, in PA you keep right, pass left, but cops don't enforce it unfortunately. But people here are super self-entitled, we seriously have some of hte most arrogant drivers I've seen anywhere. "The speed limit is this, you shouldn't go faster than it, and it's my right and duty to stop you." <-this is the general mentality. Or "I'm talking on my phone, oblivious to the world, coasting back and forth in the lane, occationally over the lines. If you have a problem with it, you are wrong" is also popular.

And generally speaking the road rage is entirely on my side. People that lack the general common courtesy to extend to others enrages me. I'm in control of my rage and would never act upon it to endanger myself or others, but still it's an unhealthy level of anger.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by BarnieTrk
In what state were you traveling in?
Not all state laws say that. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

I live in Michigan. When traveling here, where there is three or more lanes, it is customary for those that are traveling with traffic and are not going to exit anytime soon, to travel in the left lane. This practice makes sense to me.
Growing up in FL we had MANY out-of-state drivers to deal with - mostly near-deads/blue-hairs - and wintertime was 'peak season'. Anyway, you just explained one reason why those Michigan license plates make it to the Top 3 Most Hated drivers in FL list.

I am not an aggressive driver and I never drive more than 10mph over the speed limit - but I do get annoyed when someone is doing 50 in the left lane in a 55 zone! Do the speed limit and move over (when its possible) and let faster drivers pass. MANY people drive faster than me and I gladly yield the left lane for them...

If there are 3 or more lanes, the right lane is for below speed limit/exiting traffic, the center lanes are for thru-traffic and the left lane is affectionately reffered to as the 'hammer lane'. THIS makes the most sense to me! Besides, if the dude doing 97mph in a 9k lb SUV loses control when a tire fails and he is in FRONT of me (vs barreling up from behind or beside) - I have the opportunity to take evasive action!!

Surfing the 'net while driving actually helps me stay awake.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I grew up in NJ, it always seemed to me people with
NY tags drove in the left lane - just because it was there.

I often drive long distances and like to use cruise
control to help maintain a constant speed when
there isn't too much traffic.

It has always amazed me how as I start to overtake
people they "suddenly" decide they are going
to slow and speed up. Then a minute or two later
they start to slow down again and I pass by.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Jackson, I actually see people @ rush hour
calming driving 5 MPH below the speed limit
in the LEFT lane on I-4 READING a book or the paper!

THIS is what the highway patrol needs to ticket folks for.
They back up miles of traffic and then somebody
tries to pass and cuts it too close and a big wreck
occurs.

We were suppose to get a new state law that said
if you don't move over you could get a ticket, a couple
years back - not sure what happened, 'cause it's
still a common issue.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
- but I do get annoyed when someone is doing 50 in the left lane in a 55 zone! Do the speed limit and move over (when its possible) and let faster drivers pass.

If there are 3 or more lanes, the right lane is for below speed limit/exiting traffic, the center lanes are for thru-traffic and the left lane is affectionately reffered to as the 'hammer lane'. THIS makes the most sense to me!
What you said may make sense to you - BUT the FLORIDA LAW says it is legal to drive 50 in the left lane in a 55 zone in your state....

BarnieTrk

Old 10-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Who gives a crud about the VC where it applies to slower vehicles staying to the right. I wanna know what kind of mods you're planning for your Ex so you can stomp the guy (relatively speaking) to keep it from happening again!

Stewart

Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
What you said may make sense to you - BUT the FLORIDA LAW says it is legal to drive 50 in the left lane in a 55 zone in your state....
That does not a make it a good driving practice. Of course, ya did say you were from MI... (I couldn't help myself - beers on me, mmmkay? )

FWIW, between the BIG bumper on the front of my truck and the flatbed - I really don't care much WHAT the other drivers on the road are doing!! I have found they seldom actually scratch their vehicles with mine - no matter how RIGHT they think they are!! For example, when I signal my intent to change lanes/merge - if there's enough room, I merge. Even they decide accelerating to 'close the gap' is a good idea. I do carry a can of black spray paint to repair the damage to my stuff, in case they do make contact.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JaySVX
But people here are super self-entitled, we seriously have some of hte most arrogant drivers I've seen anywhere. "The speed limit is this, you shouldn't go faster than it, and it's my right and duty to stop you." <-this is the general mentality.
I have NO problem with this mentality when you are driving an Excursion 95 mph and 97 mph.

You're a fatal accident looking for a place to happen.

In all seriousness, slow down.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I think what the original poster is trying to say(If he's not it wont be the first time I was wrong here!) is not so much that the dude was trying to slow him down...its more that he didnt want him to pass so bad that he kept impeding his passing and then when he (Porsche) got out in front of the Excursion, the guy(Porsche) would slow down again and again!

This happens to me a lot. I tend to drive about 7-8 mph faster than the limit(I'm a baaad booy!) and many times people will get behind me and put themselves right on my bumper. Of course, I have manners and I will get over into the middle lane asap. As soon as I get over they will pass me like they are going to drive 85 mph forever....guess what? As soon as they get past me, they slow down to right at or below the speed I was originally going and usually slower!

You see, many people seem to think that just because we are driving a 8-9K pound truck that it doesnt go any faster than 55. So when they see an Excursion they never look at their own speedometer, they just gun it thinking they've gotta get in FRONT of that vehicular beast. Can I just say, you never want to drive slow in FRONT of an 9000 pound suv!!!

This happens to me so much it's unreal.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
I live in Michigan. When traveling here, where there is three or more lanes, it is customary for those that are traveling with traffic and are not going to exit anytime soon, to travel in the left lane. This practice makes sense to me. - BarnieTrk
- BUT the FLORIDA LAW says it is legal to drive 50 in the left lane in a 55 zone in your state - BarnieTrk
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
That does not a make it a good driving practice. Of course, ya did say you were from MI... (I couldn't help myself - beers on me, mmmkay? )
I agree - I don't believe it is a good driving practice either.
As I stated, I expect folks in the left lane to at least be traveling with traffic, not slowing it down.
I was merely pointing out what the FL law is, not that I agree with it.

I don't see where being a Michigander has any bearing on the subject....but if you want to buy the beers, that's fine with me!

SALUD!
BarnieTrk

Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
TYZ78F150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jh818
Funny, I recall back when I was living in NJ, you keep right, pass left. State troopers issue tickets for failure to keep right. The far left lane was for passing only. Semi trucks were not allowed in the far left lanes. That's why interstates always have 3 lanes...in NJ anyway.
In VA, we have 3 lanes on 95. The speed limit most time is 65. You can ride in any lane you want to, but you have to be going at least 75 in the left lane or you'll have cars on your ***. The right lane is for the speed limit, and center lane is usually for trucks to pass each other and get back over. I can recall many trucks in the middle lane coming up on my *** doing 70 and flashing me the hi beams. I kindly show them they're #1 in my book and keep driving. F**K them, they don't own the road. I'm on my way to make a living just like they are. Of course being from Va, I proudly have my confederate flag in my back window, and occasionally you get a colored fella that don't really like it and he'll let me know i'm #1. I'm just glad it pisses em' off.

Quick Reply: Damned Porsches