Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!

*** Ok Just to Cap on everything going on, I am currently in an automotive - T-ten Tech school in California , currently i am enrolled in Engine Performance & Rebuild Class.
My Truck Became the Class Project. so i promised F.T.E i would post on the Rebuild. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the time the Truck Came in to the shop is was in bad condition * cracked Heads, to much Blow by, and Tired rings with 149,000 on the Clock ) it was time for an over hall, I will post More Pics as the cleaning , and rebuild Process Moves along over the next 3 weeks. I will Beed Blast anything i can, as for Paint i will be using Dark ford blue 1606 # , and Black Flat and Gloss VHT Paints,
I will explain my pictures as I post, so please bare with me, this is going to be a long hall ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford f-350 460 v8 7.5 lt 4x4, 4 door long bed, 37 inch lift on 44 swampers.
* hood was taken off took 3 guys and a Blk marker to out line the hood brackets, for easy reinstall.

Time For the removal of hoses and clamps* i will fast forward this section due to 30 plus pics * remember to always takes pics and notes on everything you touch.

Again remember to take pics, Unless your pulling a 20 hr merathon engine overhall :P I seriously doubt u will remember where everything gos .

Don't Forget your wiring harness * it is easier to remove this with the engine vs out of the way . * again 30 plus pics * moving on .

all the local Riff Raff hanging around the truck :P My hand picked team of the best, of the best of the best * ah ha

With the radiator out of the way * there is no nneed for the Clutch fan to be left on * which i will be replacing for extra horse power, with 3 electrical fans * toggle switch inside the truck . Again take pictures Of everything.

Finally the last stupid Pos Bolt Aha I so didn't c that one, there's a bracket that hold not only the starter batt cable on but the tranny cooler lines as well.

!!!!!! YAY FINALLY AFTER 3 days and alot of Pics and work over 60 pics now with detailed note pad. Buddy doing the pulling.

I look better From the side I swear.! Or drunk . We had to use a 4 ton Host from the Bar on the ceiling Due to the height of the truck, and the 990 Lb engine.

I dont know bout all you But, thats some Damn good Paint! a testament to ford, is the paint they put on these bad boys.

A bit of inside history on the truck . Before it was lifted etc, it had 1 owner, the bell housing Is Huge, Bout the same size as a Big rig housing and the Torque Converter is not stock, I will post info on that later . seems the first owner towed horses with it 69k miles when i bought it and destroyed it .

So this Engine stand was not adequate for the job, its a 2 ton school stand and it was so front end heavy it was bending the engine stand, we connected the Cherry picker on the front end, just till we found a more suitable stand.

looks like it came out of a Freaking junk yard. Shame on me lol

Next day we started disconnecting all the accessory Parts, Power steering pump, alternator etc . there all mounted on Brackets and the brackets are mounted to the engine * again take pics * alot of blots to easily get confused .

Bent the damn Fuel rail when hosting it out of the truck LOL nothing the teacher cant fix with a bit of heat .

ON TO THE MAIN EVENT! after locating a better stand we slipped off the Intake manifold and noticed alot of blow by oil in the manifold. sure sign Valves have had it.
This was not cleaned Pior to taking the Pic If you do regular 3500mile Oil changes you might be lucky and not have carbon build up and sludge on the Rods, lifters etc,
* good for me the inside was fairly clean.

With Rods out You can get to the lifters by finger * this e7te motor had hydraulic
lifters. also we took off the water pump and Harmonic balancer. bell housing for the Drive belts,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STAY TUNED I WILL POST MORE PICS OVER THE WEEKEND !!
This was done all in bout 3 days ..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW PICS ADDED TODAY

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
danger-ranger93
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good man, i don't let ANYONE touch my truck when i bring it to school... but i'm still in high school... to many people hate me..
looking forward to see the rest of the build

Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Looks like the engine has already bed out of the truck once. Someone painted it ford blue. It should be black

How many exhaust manifold bolts broke?

How do you know it has cracked heads?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Looks like the engine has already bed out of the truck once. Someone painted it ford blue. It should be black

How many exhaust manifold bolts broke?

How do you know it has cracked heads?
I my heads where Magnaflax at school, showing 3 cracks, one in the water jacket, one in between exhaust and intake valves on the other i don't remember. plus theirs two header bolts broken off on both sides, * but non of that matters , I already bought two new F7TE heads,Ported , not polished pics to come.!!!
jayson

and i agree bout the engine being out once already.. I found 0.10 bearings in it lol in stead of STD .
more to Come~

Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 AM
lew52
Postmaster
Keep the pics coming , when you put the motor back in i would use a better oil filter , fram is not made very good & fords need a good filter with a good anti drain back valve....Lew

Old 09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by lew52
Keep the pics coming , when you put the motor back in i would use a better oil filter , fram is not made very good & fords need a good filter with a good anti drain back valve....Lew

I totally agree, And i am chamberfilin all the Oil galley Holes for better Flow.
More pics to come today!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
x2 with Lew! I use wix on everything I own! Royal Purple has oil filters out but after calling around on them they are only carried at Pep-Boys I think... None here in Des Moines and none for sale on the internet! Ugh! RP needs to get it together and sell them at a more national chain! the 460 is looking good!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
PS Sweet truck! i am looking for a southern crew cab short bed myself!!! finding a decent one under 7K is kinda a problem though...

Old 09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Be sure the post up any tips, trick, or hic-ups you find along the way. I have hopes of rebuilding my 460 in the next couple of years.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Marine5811
Elder User
Subscribed! Very cool, man.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User

SO this is an Example : my torque converter view Plate, 95 % of my engine looks like this !!!

and this is After A Quick Beed Blast Job before I paint, Most critical Parts I take my time at. But as you can see the beed blaster Strips the Grim and rust Rite off !

SO again with the beed blaster, * tip : then a coat of Flat black, Helps stick better then primer Due to the Ceramic in the paint, then two or 3 coats of Gloss Black on the Bell pulling housing

nother Finshed Pic. I taped around the two Center Belt drives, U do not want to get paint in the groves , they are polished for a reason. If have a bit of rust on your Drive Groves, nothing a wire brush wheel on a grinder wont clean up!
AGAIN I only beed blast to strip paint and rust, Not everything is Perfect.lol

My BLOCK AFTER its been in the parts Washer * Tip : Rite after you Clean you block Spray it down with a thin film of wd 40, So it will not accumulate rust over time.

I will be Measuring it with Micrometer and calipers etc on Mon, So i will post specs and Over sizes, and give a Description of how much i plan to bore, etc
Also Over this Rebuild I will toss out tips and tricks.. to improve things as i move along. * some of you suggested it.. so it will be done *

My headers Need an Overhaul !! bad. there Shorty's to help with torque but, If you want to repaint and MAKE sure the Paint sticks or doesn't Burn off , i got a few tips i learned while painting them.

When painting , use a Scotch Brite Pad, Scuff up the surfaces, make Sure YOU USE VHT - very high temp paint. 2000f usually comes in many colors i like black works with my theme.

AND the FINAL RESULT !! Not bad, some ppl will tell you, use one coat others will tell you use 5 , but if you do it rite i used 3 coats flat black, it will not peal, Remember YOU have to CURE it! not just let it sit over nite, usually 400 degrees in your house hold oven , or school Bake Oven will do the trick you only want them in there bout 45 mins.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sneak Peek. heads coming up next ! prolly next week mon / tues

I ordered new heads But i had them ported for Exhaust and intake. also upd the intake valves , exhaust stayed the same .
i will cover more on this next week and Show you my Side to side view. Of both Stock and ported heads, also I will cover oil pan/ pics and etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
more after the weekend!
Thanks for taking the time to Read / follow my posts

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm posting to subscribe and offer encouragement. That's a fantastic project and a beautiful truck. Good luck with it.

Great job!

I'm not even going to comment on my jealousy at having a basically free engine buildup. Sure you're paying for the class but that class is a career so it's now a short term AND long term investment. Most people don't see education results for a few years but you're getting it by the end of the semester.

By the way, welcome to the world of gas stations. You'll get to know your attendant very well.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM
96ford250
Elder User
cant wait to see that motor when its done my dad used to have a 460 in his f250 i love that truck its what i learned to drive in

Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Big-old-460
Senior User
Originally Posted by dcf4x4
I'm posting to subscribe and offer encouragement. That's a fantastic project and a beautiful truck. Good luck with it.

Great job!

I'm not even going to comment on my jealousy at having a basically free engine buildup. Sure you're paying for the class but that class is a career so it's now a short term AND long term investment. Most people don't see education results for a few years but you're getting it by the end of the semester.

By the way, welcome to the world of gas stations. You'll get to know your attendant very well.

ah ha- very funny yet true statements. your rite i am working on my degree in automotive. and the Best part is.. there's 8 Core classes. engines is first, !! then steering and suspension, then transmissions, Performance and drivability * basically we learn to use vehicle computers and Re chip them.Auto body electrical i * already have my ASE in that. Manual drive train and axles,heating and air.Brakes
and engine Performance. * if you c where i am going with this ,. every class I will have the chance to completely rebuild the entire truck !. I will be posting more pics ,, stay tuned !

jayson

Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 AM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Big-old-460
ah ha- very funny yet true statements. your rite i am working on my degree in automotive. and the Best part is.. there's 8 Core classes. engines is first, !! then steering and suspension, then transmissions, Performance and drivability * basically we learn to use vehicle computers and Re chip them.Auto body electrical i * already have my ASE in that. Manual drive train and axles,heating and air.Brakes
and engine Performance. * if you c where i am going with this ,. every class I will have the chance to completely rebuild the entire truck !. I will be posting more pics ,, stay tuned !

jayson
Hey, if all of you guys decide you're tired of climbing step ladders to get to the engine bay on your truck, I've got a 95, F250, 460 that is sitting at stock level that you could swap into this class project instead... It'd be almost the same thing...

But in all seriousness... I'm really looking forward to following this project. Only problem is, you're making me jealous of all the time you get with a real "excuse" to work on your truck.

Quick Reply: 460 Complete Overhall with pics *Finshed Update !! 1-4-2011 Last Page!