6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

tire pressures....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
tire pressures....

Guys,

This is my first F250 (owned a few F150's before). Anyway, I have a 2011 F250 Lariat 4x4 with the standard Lariat 18inch wheels and Continental tires. The side of the tire says a maximum air pressure of 80 PSI.

This morning when I got in the truck to drive to work, I got the low tire pressure alarm. Nothing to worry about as this was the first really cool morning here in Austin, TX since I bough the truck. So I checked the tire pressures and they ranged from 55 to 58 PSI.

Now my question..... What PSI should I put back in the tires? I figured I don't want to run 80 PSI for my normal everyday driving..... I was thinking about 62 to 64 PSI.

Any thoughts or advice?

-gascan

Old 09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
62 seems to be the consensus of where you can get down to before the warning comes on.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 6.7Fan
62 seems to be the consensus of where you can get down to before the warning comes on.
Ok, that is useful info.... My real question is (I guess I should have been more specific), what is best pressure for these tires for optimal wear and fuel mileage?

-gascan

Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by gascan
Ok, that is useful info.... My real question is (I guess I should have been more specific), what is best pressure for these tires for optimal wear and fuel mileage?

-gascan
Not sure on Wear / But Milage - the max (80psi) will make it roll better - ->> better milage...

Did you get Diesel or the gasser?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Byram
Not sure on Wear / But Milage - the max (80psi) will make it roll better - ->> better milage...

Did you get Diesel or the gasser?
I got the diesel. (My first diesel as well....) So far I like it.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by gascan
I got the diesel. (My first diesel as well....) So far I like it.

Thanks.
Cool - you'll like it - I got the 6.2 but the trucks are great..

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My tire pressure alarm went off when 1 of my tires fell below 55psi. The sticker inside the door says to fill the Continetals to 65 psi when cold. I put 60psi in when the tires were cold and so far I have gotten no more alarms. Fuel mileage went from 16.2 up to 16.7 mpg in the city.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,562 Likes on 730 Posts
As with any tire, if you run them too hard ( with a load on) they will wear the centers of the tread. Too soft and you wear the outer edges. So you find your self in a trade off. Tire wear, vs fuel mpg. Higher pressure in tires = better rolling which = better mpg but also = faster tire wear.

I personally like about 60psi when the truck is empty. I found at 70 psi I got a little wander on the highways when I hit the ruts that the semi's have worn into the paement. The truck would kinda drift and follow them. A little softer tire and that problem went away.

Because I tow almost daily. I usually keep the back tires at 70psi. If I know I'm loading the GN horse trailer up real heavy for a trip, I'll bump them up to the max of 80 for that trip and them let some air out when I get home.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
As with any tire, if you run them too hard ( with a load on) they will wear the centers of the tread. Too soft and you wear the outer edges. So you find your self in a trade off. Tire wear, vs fuel mpg. Higher pressure in tires = better rolling which = better mpg but also = faster tire wear.

I personally like about 60psi when the truck is empty. I found at 70 psi I got a little wander on the highways when I hit the ruts that the semi's have worn into the paement. The truck would kinda drift and follow them. A little softer tire and that problem went away.

Because I tow almost daily. I usually keep the back tires at 70psi. If I know I'm loading the GN horse trailer up real heavy for a trip, I'll bump them up to the max of 80 for that trip and them let some air out when I get home.

Thank you, very good advice!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 PM
jermort
Senior User
I usually go with Max psi on the sidewall minus 5 lbs measured cold. This gives me good mileage and good tread wear.

On the other hand, you cannot go wrong with the factory recommendation on the door pillar. That psi is designed to give the best ride while having a safe psi in the tire. Mileage and wear are not the factory considerations.

jammer

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rick Cargo
My tire pressure alarm went off when 1 of my tires fell below 55psi. The sticker inside the door says to fill the Continetals to 65 psi when cold. I put 60psi in when the tires were cold and so far I have gotten no more alarms. Fuel mileage went from 16.2 up to 16.7 mpg in the city.
Okay so how much will it cost me to get some of the TPSM's set for 65 instead of the 80. It sucks that I have to run a minimum of 65 to keep the alarm from going off. The Mich 20's ride much better at 60 unloaded and still have an excellent tread contact patch.