6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is this tire switch crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then why has this conversation lasted so long?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Then why has this conversation lasted so long?
Beats me....I'm the not original op. You seem worried about it more than anyone else.

Just say'n.

Shane

Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... I'll probably recal (if the dealer can do it) if nothing else just to keep the odometer accurate.

But Shane, is that the tires you got... terra grapplers 34.4" dia 604 revs/mile?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:46 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Fat_Tire

But Shane, is that the tires you got... terra grapplers 34.4" dia 604 revs/mile?

The Tires I have are Nitto 295/70 R18's. I don't know the size in inches or rvs/mile. They are AllTerrain Terra Grapplers.

Hope that helps. I just bought them for the size,looks and the off road ability...thats it.
Shane

Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
OK... the same tires that I linked to in my earlier post. Looks like they aren't quite as tall or expensive as the Toyo and they do look nice. I'll have to check 'em out.

Come to think of it, I think even after reprogramming the PCM for the Toyo's it would still be off quite a bit. As I understand it, the way these new tucks are reprogrammed is by entering the system menu where you can pick from the various "factory"- sized tires and the computer computes the revs/mile from that. I don't believe there is the option of actually changing the revs/mile like in previous models and they probably don't have a size close to the Toyo's.... and they may not have anything close to the Nittos.

edit: it looks like the factory 275/65R20's are 610 revs/mile... that's pretty close to your Nittos' 604 revs/mile. Might just work...

Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
The 34's<as you stated> which are the ones on my truck are taller than the Toyos.

I have ran nitto a lot.great tires

To get taller,than the tires I currently have on my truck 295/70/18 you have to have a wider Rim than the stock 18's that I have. Because to get taller you HAVE to go wider.

Shane

Old 09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
OK... I thought I read somewhere that you could put the Toyo 285/75/18 on the factory 18" rim. That tire is 35" tall. Maybe you can't.. I don't know.

I'm starting to like your pick of tire better, anyways.

Here are links to the specs on the Toyo and the Nitto tires:

Toyo Tires Open Country M/T from Jaime's Tire

Nitto Tire: Tire Sizes and Specs - TERRAGRAPPLER

Old 09-26-2010, 05:11 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Okay I was actually considering the Nitto Trail Grappler (more agressive) and I'm worried it would be too loud for every day and towing a big camper for 10 hours.

Can you compare the road noise of the Nitto Terra Grapplers to say the BFG A/T's?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 PM
builttoughf350
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i had 35" Terra Grapplers on my 2003 F350. i thought they SUCKED in the mud, but in snow and ice they were possibly the best ive ever used.

i did not get very many miles out of them. could be the narrow stock rims they were on, or the somewhat heavy towing. my leveling kit may have also added to the wear and tear on the tires.

those Toyo M/Ts sound like they are MADE for narrower rims. and their load rating is sweet too. but i cant find a shop to sell them to me. one shop says theyll only get 15-20K miles and is trying to sell me Dick Cepek tires, another shop says their supplier would charge more than i would like to pay and wants me to get the Terra Grapplers.

i put 305 BFG all terrains on my 2011 F350 on the stock 17" wheels and they arent nearly as tall as i would like, 32" roughly. they are a little wider, and look WAY better than the stock tires, but im banging my head against the wall to figure out if i take the BFGs off and sell them, get a different taller tire, or different rims, etc or just wear these out and worry about tires next year.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
That's what I don't want to do.

By suck in the mud how much are we talking?
Some people think BFG A/T's suck in the mud, but I don't think they're too bad but you have to spin them to clear out and dig some more.

I'm leaning toward the BFG 285/65/20 which makes it 34.6" tall and 11.2" wide, but probably wind up with 9.2" of tread on the ground.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
builttoughf350
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
That's what I don't want to do.

By suck in the mud how much are we talking?
Some people think BFG A/T's suck in the mud, but I don't think they're too bad but you have to spin them to clear out and dig some more.

I'm leaning toward the BFG 285/65/20 which makes it 34.6" tall and 11.2" wide, but probably wind up with 9.2" of tread on the ground.

one of my lifted trucks had 35 BFG all terrains, and they outperformed my 35" Terra grapplers by FAR in the mud. one example, VERY slight slope, right tires were maybe 1.5-2 feet higher up than the left tires. very muddy on the left side, grassy on the right, i was trying to squeeze past some idiots truck ( 10PM on a friday night some logger parked a F350 RIGHT in the middle of my hunting property road, i assume he got another vehicle to drive him to the bar )

while trying to squeeze past him, the Terra Grapplers didnt hold their ground at all, and with the truck in 4WD LOW, idling past him... the truck just slid sideways into his. so i scraped boxes the rest of the way past, hooked a tow strap and dragged his truck 100 yards to a clearing. the Terra Grapplers kept gumming up, even in 4WD HIGH full throttle i just kept spinning out. i would think they would clear out at that high of a spin, but they still never really DUG into the ground.

with 35" BFG's on a different truck, i never once had to be pulled out, or ever had it slide sideways except one time on a slope so steep i thought the truck was going to roll over, and had people sitting on the uphill side of the bed rails

now, keep in mind these Terra Grapplers i had were 12.50" wide, so maybe a narrower tire would dig in mud better. im not trying to bash the tires, but the pair i had just didnt work for me.

seems like my BFG tread is alot deeper than the Nittos also.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Fat_Tire
OK... I thought I read somewhere that you could put the Toyo 285/75/18 on the factory 18" rim. That tire is 35" tall. Maybe you can't.. I don't know.

I'm starting to like your pick of tire better, anyways.

Here are links to the specs on the Toyo and the Nitto tires:

Toyo Tires Open Country M/T from Jaime's Tire

Nitto Tire: Tire Sizes and Specs - TERRAGRAPPLER
Your toyos ARE 34.8

My nittos ARE 34.3.

Not much differnce. Not enough to debate over.

I had the Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 305/60 20 on my 2007 and thought they were loud. Nice thick spacing on the tread but lod...... So I went less aggressive with these Trails and am VERRY happy, eventhough they are 18's. Probably not that good in the mud or off road but 90 percent of the time I'm on pavement. Only off road when Hunting or camping. The lodness is a huge factor to me. I feel I have the best of both worlds with theses tires.

I can Post Pics if you like. From my Phone ...Not good pics. But I'll try. If you want

Shane

Shane

Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Shane,

Did you actually ask if you should post pics? Did that really just happen? Of course you post pics! Even phone pics are great and the more visuals we can get on this forum the better it is for all.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Even better, post a video of yourself taking a picture.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Stock....

Working on the Nittos...Just a minute.....

Here ya go....

Shane

Quick Reply: Is this tire switch crazy?