1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

NEED TO GET FIXED BEFORE NEW BABY IS RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED TO GET FIXED BEFORE NEW BABY IS RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL!!!

My wife and I just had a baby and, due to the birth, I didn't have the time to replace the compressor isolators. I was on my way from work to the hospital to see her and the baby, when the rear suspension just droped.

My question is where to begin. The check suspension light came on early that morning but quickly shut of and hasn't come on since, even with the rear end sitting on the axle. I have noticed that the compressor either hasn't been running, or is much quieter. Could the isolators being so worn have caused the compressor to go out, or is it a ride height sensor malfunctioning not telling the compressor to come on or not letting it know its not at the right height and could this be why its not kicking on the light?? I also noticed a small hiss in the dash when I shut off the vehicle that I never noticed before. The truck is new to me so It may be something I have missed.

I need to fix this asap before the baby comes home since there is no way I can put a newborn in it with how rough it rides!!! PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE IT OUT

Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
alloro
Received 4,242 Likes on 2,473 Posts
The hiss could be a leak in one of the suspension air lines. A leak would also keep the suspension from pumping up.

I would start by seeing if you're getting power to the pump. If you are it's a bad pump, if you're not then it's time to start tracing back to see where the power stops.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:35 PM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice. Sorry it took so long to respond, truck and computer are in two different places.

I took out the washer fluid tank for better access. All I had to check the power to the pump was a test light. When it tries to cycle there is power, but the light was pulsing and if you put your hand on the pump you could barely feel it pulse too, but it wouldn't come on. It felt like it was trying, but just wouldnt.

The rubber isolators under the bracket are pretty much gone, and it was very loose. That's how I know the pumps not coming on. It would vibrate back and forth pretty loudly. Could all of the vibration have damaged the pump?

My main question to you now is; Do you think its the pump, or is there some sort of selenoid before the pump that could be going out?

Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
fixit5561
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like your compressor is bad. Mine did the same thing with my Navigator. The pump stopped working and the truck went down to the axles. I replaced the pump and it worked fine ever since.

Here is a link to the cheapest compressor I have ever found online. Parts built for the long haul....not just the warranty period!

Hope this helps

Old 09-25-2010, 09:17 AM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by alloro
The hiss could be a leak in one of the suspension air lines. A leak would also keep the suspension from pumping up.

I would start by seeing if you're getting power to the pump. If you are it's a bad pump, if you're not then it's time to start tracing back to see where the power stops.
I think the hiss in dash is vaccume for heat and a/c control. It only does it right after I shut off the vehicle, and since the Compressor isn't running, I dont think its an air line leak.

I think I'm gonna swap the compressor and dryer out, and replace the isolators. The site that was sent above looks like a good price, just don't know what a spider Jr. is. Is it something I would need?? Just don't know what it is and don't want to spend the $30 if I don't have to.

Let me know if this sounds like a good course of action. And thanks again for the help.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eddie Spinks at American Air Suspension is the person to deal with for air suspension parts and help. There is a finned aluminum relay near the compressor and if you use a jumper wire from the hot to one of the other female plugs in the relay you can usually find out if the compressor is still good. If it runs, get the suspension up and turn the air suspension switch under the dash off, then check for leaks at all the connections and the rear air springs, as well as the union over the steering box in the engine compartment. Mine broke about 6 weeks ago and the local dealership had 1 in stock. The new one is much more substantial than the original. The part number for the union is; 2L1Z-5B322-AA. Ford calls it a "connector" and the cost was about $30.00.
Good luck with it.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
Eddie Spinks at American Air Suspension is the person to deal with for air suspension parts and help. There is a finned aluminum relay near the compressor and if you use a jumper wire from the hot to one of the other female plugs in the relay you can usually find out if the compressor is still good. If it runs, get the suspension up and turn the air suspension switch under the dash off, then check for leaks at all the connections and the rear air springs, as well as the union over the steering box in the engine compartment. Mine broke about 6 weeks ago and the local dealership had 1 in stock. The new one is much more substantial than the original. The part number for the union is; 2L1Z-5B322-AA. Ford calls it a "connector" and the cost was about $30.00.
Good luck with it.

Thanks. Eddie was a big help! Got me set up with parts and everything!! They know their air ride. Got a compressor/dryer at a great price.

I checked the connections and everything. Hard to do with no air in system. no visible cracks or anything though. Once again, THANKS for the hook up with American Air Suspension.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Freshman User
Got my new compressor in and everything works great!!

THANKS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by 2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
Got my new compressor in and everything works great!
Except your rear heat!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000-EB-EXPY-AWD
My main question to you now is; Do you think its the pump, or is there some sort of selenoid before the pump that could be going out?
Solenoid is under the passenger side headlight behind the front bumper, accessible from under the truck. See if its putting out 12 volts to the compressor. (If it isn't - ~$115 from the dealer!)

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
G Ford Fan
Senior User
Reading this thread gives me all the more motovation that when the air suspension craps out out my 00 EB, a conversion kit to go to a regular suspension will be installed.

Personally, I don't care for how the suspension "lets down" every time you shut the truck off. I'd rather have it pump up and maintain it's ride height and be done with it.

But that's me. YMMV.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by G Ford Fan
Personally, I don't care for how the suspension "lets down" every time you shut the truck off. I'd rather have it pump up and maintain it's ride height and be done with it.
I want one like in the movie "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie"

8 minutes of pure comedy!
YouTube - Cheech & Chong's Next Movie Van Scene

Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can do that. There are a number of posts in the Mark VIII forums of guys modifying their Marks for the instant lift and slam effects. I wouldn't do it to mine though.