Sponsored by: DP Tuner

gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 AM
john8403
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gauges

puttin in order to clay goin to get gauges so many to choose from mechanical/electric i want quality and affordability what do you recommend

Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 AM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
ISSPRO gauges...Clay has 'em...best on the market...let Clay tell you what you need, he'll treat you right...

Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 AM
homesteader
Elder User
ISSPRO...... Like David said Clay can set U up.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Some more gauge questions:

1) For gauge hook ups, if you want to run an after market engine oil pressure gauge - leaving the stock one alone - where is the best place to put the oil pressure sender?

2) Is there anywhere to put an engine oil temperature sender without taping a new hole somewhere for the new oil temperature sender (e.g. in the oil pan)?

3) If I want to run a fuel pressure gauge, what sort of range is required for the stock fuel system and where is the best place to put the fuel pressure sender?

4) Just wondering what people run gauge wise, after the usual suspects (i.e. tranny oil temp, boost, and EGT) ? I was thinking Volts, Engine oil temp and/or engine oil pressure, and fuel pressure - but maybe there are more important things to monitor.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SSSimon
Some more gauge questions:

1) For gauge hook ups, if you want to run an after market engine oil pressure gauge - leaving the stock one alone - where is the best place to put the oil pressure sender?

Not really considered very important on the PSD since the engine won't fire the injectors without enough oil. It will basically just such down if you get too low. If you do want one you can put your LPOP sensor in the HPOP reserviour fill plug.

2) Is there anywhere to put an engine oil temperature sender without taping a new hole somewhere for the new oil temperature sender (e.g. in the oil pan)?

Yes, most put it in the plug right by your oil filter.

3) If I want to run a fuel pressure gauge, what sort of range is required for the stock fuel system and where is the best place to put the fuel pressure sender?

100 psi if preffered since we usually run 50-65psi.

4) Just wondering what people run gauge wise, after the usual suspects (i.e. tranny oil temp, boost, and EGT) ? I was thinking Volts, Engine oil temp and/or engine oil pressure, and fuel pressure - but maybe there are more important things to monitor.

Personally the extras I run are oil temp, HPOP, Fuel Pressure, Coolant temp and a Aeroforce scangauge.
Hope that helps you out.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Thanks Clay, very useful info!

So Engine oil temp sensor goes into an existing plug near the oil filter.

100psi fuel gauge - where abouts should the sensor go? I still dont know my way around the LPOP and the HPOP. Is there a stock plug I can use for this?

Coolant temp gauge, is there a stock plug I can use for the temp sensor?

Sorry for all the questions - especially when they are probably basic. I don't want to be in the situation of buying extra gauges then not being able to fit the sensors correctly.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
No problem. All will fit with existing plugs except for the fuel pressure and you will need an adapter for the back of the fuel bowl like this.

Riffraff Diesel: Pressure Port Adapter - Straight 1/8 FNPT

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
That's oil temp and fuel pressure sorted. Thanks for that. I'm glad I asked the question now as I now know I need the fuel port adapter!

Last question regarding where the coolant temp sensor should go. Still not sure on that.

I have seen coolant sensor ports where you cut a radiator hose and fit a short metal pipe with a sensor threaded port in an existing hose. I don't particularly like this idea as it is just introducing another hose union into the cooling system and therefore could add another point of failure.

Is there an existing plug (with or without an adapter) which can be used for the coolant sensor?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's oil temp and fuel pressure sorted. Thanks for that. I'm glad I asked the question now as I now know I need the fuel port adapter!

Last question regarding where the coolant temp sensor should go. Still not sure on that.

I have seen coolant sensor ports where you cut a radiator hose and fit a short metal pipe with a sensor threaded port in an existing hose. I don't particularly like this idea as it is just introducing another hose union into the cooling system and therefore could add another point of failure.

Is there an existing plug (with or without an adapter) which can be used for the coolant sensor?
On the side of the water pump ( on one of the fittings) there is a threaded port that can be used for a coolant temp probe.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a plug on your water pump where you can put the coolant temp sensor. Driver side.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
I finally got round to fitting my coolant temp sensor today. The coolant sensor has the same thread patten as the oil sensor - which went neatly into the port next to the oil filter.

When I took the plug out next to the water pump, the plug's threads where much larger than the threads on the sensor. Is an adapter required here?

Maybe I could just drill and tap the stock plug. What have people done to fit their coolant sensors (when no coolant filter fitted).