2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A military vehicle has to work under much harder conditions as any civilian truck, if we speak about vehicles in combat. The G4 and G5-level of offroad abuse established for fighting vehicles in recent years cracked both a standart g-wagon AND unimog frame.

And a cracked frame under fire is much worse than a cracked frame at work.

As for the rust, again, MAn Kat 1 trucks are late 70's vehicles, some are almist 40 years old and many of them have been used long after their military service with the military maintenance. And of course we have salt here, loads of it.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Fullsized-Fan
A military vehicle has to work under much harder conditions as any civilian truck, if we speak about vehicles in combat. The G4 and G5-level of offroad abuse established for fighting vehicles in recent years cracked both a standart g-wagon AND unimog frame.

And a cracked frame under fire is much worse than a cracked frame at work.

As for the rust, again, MAn Kat 1 trucks are late 70's vehicles, some are almist 40 years old and many of them have been used long after their military service with the military maintenance. And of course we have salt here, loads of it.
You sure seem to have an infatuation with military vehicles

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Krochus
The comparison to military vehicles is not a valid one for a couple reasons.

1. They will have an entire crew and service structure dedicated to maintaining them meticulously.

2. They have a finite service life planned in from the moment they enter service. Military vehicles don't get run into the ground. They're GONE long before they even start to have wear or lifespan issues.

Not sure which military you're talking about, but that's certainly false for the U.S. Army. We still have some tactical vehicles that are older than I am, and the maintenance system is less than spectacular everywhere I've been.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:52 PM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
Well my 05 F350 will run down a forestry road including corners at twice the road speed limit I don't know how much better than that it NEEDS to handle. When I load my truck camper, I just under gvw by 3-400lb I can take 20 mph corners at 35-40 without making my wife nervous and she's a major chicken. Once again how much better does it need to be. Btw my shocks are stock with 125000 on them. You want to spend a fecal matter ton of money fixing something that ain't broke? DUMB!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Of course a truck für 30.000$ is not supposed to be able to do all the stuff a military vehicle for 300.000$ can do.

Those are just examples to prove that it IS possible to design a not flexible frame able to withstand serious abuse and also rust for decades. And this is possible since at least the 70's so it is not some kind of modern high-tech magic. It's only about calculating a solid boxed frame, using quality steel and a proper coating.

If you flex a frame often enough hard it will break, just as any pice of metal you bend over to much, again, unlike special designs as the unimog frame those frames are not designed to flex really much really often. So a boxed frame can be sronger, and of course its more comfortable and safe on the road. It feels like people think this is always a double edged deal or something, you get more comfort, so you HAVE to pay for it somehow...

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 AM
nitrogen
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts
Your first two lines and your last sum it up nicely. My 40000 truck does everything anyone with a spoonful of common sense would expect it to do. It will do it all fy every day for years. I don't want or need the equivalent of a baja race truck. Oh wait most of those can't haul any real eeight while running race conditions without breaking either. Check out what a ford raptor will do if you beat it a bit with a decent load in the box. Great handling great ride off/on road no payload and double the price of my truck. Anyone with that very rare commodity COMMON SENSE didn't buy a F350 to be the ultimate rock crawling max flexing trruck. You can make 1 from it but it will be barely recognizable and you'll be lucky if you only spend 300000. And once again have no real payload

Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
deleted by me ....

Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
The comment of "I don't care how my Super Duty handles" is utterly ridiculous. Sure, I know its not a sports car, but of course I prefer it to handle as well as it can!

Fullsize, unfortunately rust is a major problem for those of us who live in snowy areas where road salt gets thrown down by the ton. The Jeep Wrangler TJ ('97 to maybe '05) had a thin, small boxed frame. Adequate for itself, but these frames rusted right through over and over again. I think this vehicle alone really helped cement in people's minds that "boxed frame = rusted out."

It is true that Class VIII trucks (80,000 lbs rolling weight) do use C-channel frames, but you can hardly compare them to a light truck such as a super duty.

I think there are two primary considerations as to why Ford hasn't gone to a fully-boxed frame for the SD yet: cost, and possibly less upfit-friendly. As has been mentioned, the upfitters are already developing new mounting ways to accommodate GM, etc - so this shouldn't be a problem in the future. I don't think 'rust' considerations are even crossing the radar at Ford as a reason to stick with a mostly C-channel frame. I firmly believe rust will not be a problem on a newly-designed, full-box frame.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by troverman
It is true that Class VIII trucks (80,000 lbs rolling weight) do use C-channel frames, but you can hardly compare them to a light truck such as a super duty.
Just like you can't compare a Super Duty truck to any military vehicles.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I don't see a problem with the way the SD handles, wasn't trying to make that point. Its a great, stout, vehicle. I just think a fully-boxed frame would make it even better with no real side effects.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
Well those military vehicles are in the same weight area, the big haulers are not.

Of course there is always the price, but if you take the Mowag Duro for example:

Yes it's one ugly mother****er and yes it's older versions where equipped with way to small engines, but it handles very well offroad and onroad, has a gvw of 12.000lbs in the older version with a payload capacity of half the GVW and it's fully-boxed frames did not rust for over 20 years.

And in switzerland they do know snow i guess

Of course this Mowag military truck was more expensive as any F-350, but not as much as you may think AND you have to consider it was designed by an extremely small company and sadly only for military customers, so very little have been built compared to any fullsized puckup.

If built by one of the big three, the price would have been signfificantly less. This is why i would love to see ford go boxed, they did use some really impressive engines in the past (7.3 power stroke), they are way better accessable as dodge over here and they have the reputation to stick to solide axles.

We know the older Wranglers here, and yes they do rust in Germany as much as they do in the U.S., which is why you can get them very very cheap, but as mentioned aboe, very thin frame, pretty fragile vehicle. I thin the JK will do much better, i could not measure the frame, but from the outside, it looked much bigger than the older one.

(then again, not nearly as massive as the Land Rover D3, i bet if you get those measurements this will be even bigger than the g-waong in comarision)

Greetings

Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Krochus
Elder User
QUOTE The comment of "I don't care how my Super Duty handles" is utterly ridiculous. Sure, I know its not a sports car, but of course I prefer it to handle as well as it can!

WHY? My old TIB floaty 2000 f250 will take any curve at any posted speed limit with ease WHY does it need to handle better?

My tundra handled better than my f250 but when the time came to upgrade to a more towing ability that was not even a consideration.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Fullsized-Fan
Well those military vehicles are in the same weight area, the big haulers are not.

Of course there is always the price, but if you take the Mowag Duro for example:

Yes it's one ugly mother****er and yes it's older versions where equipped with way to small engines, but it handles very well offroad and onroad, has a gvw of 12.000lbs in the older version with a payload capacity of half the GVW and it's fully-boxed frames did not rust for over 20 years.

And in switzerland they do know snow i guess

Of course this Mowag military truck was more expensive as any F-350, but not as much as you may think AND you have to consider it was designed by an extremely small company and sadly only for military customers, so very little have been built compared to any fullsized puckup.

If built by one of the big three, the price would have been signfificantly less. This is why i would love to see ford go boxed, they did use some really impressive engines in the past (7.3 power stroke), they are way better accessable as dodge over here and they have the reputation to stick to solide axles.

We know the older Wranglers here, and yes they do rust in Germany as much as they do in the U.S., which is why you can get them very very cheap, but as mentioned aboe, very thin frame, pretty fragile vehicle. I thin the JK will do much better, i could not measure the frame, but from the outside, it looked much bigger than the older one.

(then again, not nearly as massive as the Land Rover D3, i bet if you get those measurements this will be even bigger than the g-waong in comarision)

Greetings
Your Euro Fan Boi song is getting old....

Comparing military vehicles to a Super Duty is silly.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Fullsized-Fan
Mountain Pass
What a remarkable profound argument based on technical evidence...

Old 04-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick Reply: Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions