Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991288-fully-boxed-frame-on-superduty-your-opinions.html)

fordpstroke11 09-11-2010 11:43 PM

Fully-Boxed Frame on SuperDuty: Your Opinions

Who thinks that the Super Duty pickup's C-Channel frame puts the new GM HD's fully-boxed frame to shame? You get more towing with a C-Channel. Would this mean that if Ford made the SuperDuty frame fully-boxed that it could tow EVEN MORE?? What is everybody's opinions Ford Truck Enthusiasts?

MARCUSO 09-12-2010 12:44 AM

What does towing capacity have to do with frame rigidity?
I would think things like your motor and brakes would determine that.

nitrogen 09-12-2010 06:37 AM

well the frame is essentially a set of paralel beams. the rigidity of a beam defines how much weight it can support. that said boxing it will add more weight, and there is alimit how heavy you can go and still stay in the same weight class. sure you get higher capacity, but that call for heavier brakes, and heavier drivetrain etc.theres a name for that F650. problem is now you need a commercial licence tp operate and you have to run logs an other stuff.

senix 09-12-2010 07:15 AM

fully boxed does have it's benefits, but upfitters find it a challenge.

m350 09-12-2010 07:25 AM

The F-150 has had that boxed frame for the last several years,,I recall seeing it on TV,,,I am not sold on it though,,,if it's so good,,,How come Large trucks dont use it?
If, when its start rusting/ rotting from the inside out ,,,,then what?
No way to even hose off inside it!

Atleast with C-channel frames you have a good place to mount brake lines, Fuel lines and Harness's!

Tom 09-12-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by m350 (Post 9319659)
I am not sold on it though,,,if it's so good,,,How come Large trucks dont use it?

I don't know about that, I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with the fact that it's unnecessary and would be much more expensive to make.

The commercial truck market isn't anything like the car and light truck market. "Fun to drive" and "nice ride" take a distant second to low operating costs.

A brand-new road tractor with a 15L engine, 13-speed transmission, large sleeper, and an 80,000 lb capacity sells for less than $130K. Compared to a super duty that's an awful lot of truck for $130K!

If someone came up with a fully boxed frame for $5K-10K more nobody would buy it!

bucci 09-12-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 9319755)
I don't know about that, I'd be willing to bet it has more to do with the fact that it's unnecessary and would be much more expensive to make.

I agree with that.

Strength and rigidity are not the same thing. My thoughts are if tractor frames were boxed and more rigid, they would need complicated designs to prevent welds from breaking, cross members from cracking and rivets from coming loose.

With the amount of torsional forces applied on a tractor's frame it is easier and more ecomonical to design frames that are strong enough for the torsions forces but are made to flex under the load. With the flexing, the forces are transmitted over a broader area.

With more rigidity, I think the loads have a tendency to become more concentrated to a smaller area or pinpointed.

Watch a tractor without a trailer attached take off from a start and you will see the frame flex and twist a little.

Snowseeker 09-12-2010 11:31 AM

Boxed frame isn't needed and can only cause problems. It holds dirt, moister, salt, etc. it will rot out like the toyota trucks do guarantied. Also like mentioned it takes away a place to mount brake lines and wire harness's exposing them even more to debris and possible road shrapnel.

A boxed in frame can be smaller and have the same strength as a bigger C-channel but the downfalls aren't worth it.

Furian 09-12-2010 11:48 AM

The Ford Super Duty uses the Open-C-frame to support the mutiple OEM configurations and the 2nd-unit aftermarket. See video for details.

YouTube - Video 2008 Ford SuperDuty - Frame Strength

Snowseeker 09-12-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Furian (Post 9320546)
The Ford Super Duty uses the Open-C-frame to support the mutiple OEM configurations and the 2nd-unit aftermarket. See video for details.

YouTube - Video 2008 Ford SuperDuty - Frame Strength

I wish my whole frame and suspension was all powder coated like that one. :-X09

Fordfanatic4life 09-12-2010 02:40 PM

i like the guys dig on the HD dodge comparing it more to the F150 capability.. haahh nice one...

having used to own fully boxed Toyota's in my youth i can tell you first hand how crappy of a design that can be once the truck gets older.. crap builds up inside there and rots the frame from the inside out..

give me a strong open C-channel anyday...

DIXIEDOG1 09-12-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 9320491)
Boxed frame isn't needed and can only cause problems. It holds dirt, moister, salt, etc. it will rot out like the toyota trucks do guarantied. Also like mentioned it takes away a place to mount brake lines and wire harness's exposing them even more to debris and possible road shrapnel.

A boxed in frame can be smaller and have the same strength as a bigger C-channel but the downfalls aren't worth it.

This :-X22

bubbasz1 09-13-2010 05:30 AM

Sometimes you need a little flex, many a semi tractor has had to have the frame fixed for cracks and what not. It's all engineered to work like they do(Superduty's) I'll keep mine.

M88 09-13-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by bucci (Post 9319942)
I agree with that.

Strength and rigidity are not the same thing. My thoughts are if tractor frames were boxed and more rigid, they would need complicated designs to prevent welds from breaking, cross members from cracking and rivets from coming loose.

With the amount of torsional forces applied on a tractor's frame it is easier and more ecomonical to design frames that are strong enough for the torsions forces but are made to flex under the load. With the flexing, the forces are transmitted over a broader area.

With more rigidity, I think the loads have a tendency to become more concentrated to a smaller area or pinpointed.

Watch a tractor without a trailer attached take off from a start and you will see the frame flex and twist a little.

Turn up the pump enough and it'll pick up one of the front wheels!

Why switch to a boxed frame if the C channel works, doesn't break and tows fine?

bucci 09-13-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by M88 (Post 9323196)
Turn up the pump enough and it'll pick up one of the front wheels!

Why switch to a boxed frame if the C channel works, doesn't break and tows fine?

I wouldn't switch to a boxed frame. I prefer a C channel.