6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Noone has mentioned,..Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What were the sizes of the mids and tweeters? Sites like crutchfield and bestbuy don't yet have our trucks listed in their fitment guides. Also, how is the stock amplification handled for everything but the sub? Straight from the head unit, or with external amps? BTW, I have the nav system which I believe includes the best sound available on these... I was disappointed that I couldn't get the Sony system that they offer in the Taurus.

I'm fine with the sub that's in there but I agree that the rest of the sound band could be much better.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Dang I love mine too. I think the sound is GREAT for a stock system, and better than some after market stuff I've heard, but hey ...... I'm old and heard a lot of stuff. I have middle-schoolers that think it's too loud, and I almost never play it all the way up.

I think it's fine for 99.8056% of all users.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Dang I love mine too. I think the sound is GREAT for a stock system, and better than some after market stuff I've heard, but hey ...... I'm old and heard a lot of stuff. I have middle-schoolers that think it's too loud, and I almost never play it all the way up.

I think it's fine for 99.8056% of all users.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
It's not about how *loud* it is, it's about the quality of the sound. I traded in my 2007 Tundra Limited for this truck. Everything about the new one is a significant upgrade, except the audio quality. The tundra had a JBL system in it from the factory. Listening to that system every day for 3.5 years was a treat - piercing highs, warm mids, and deep resounding bass. It had a total of 10 speakers - a VERY good factory audio setup. The 2011 F250 w/ Nav sitting outside right now sounds muffled by comparison. I know I can swap out speakers and fix that though... so I'm still very happy with the purchase

Old 09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
New speakers make a HUGE difference. I took the factory sub out, just unplugged it, nothing fancy. It has its own amp so it was removed as well.

I added a 250W mono amp that powers two 10" subwoofers. I built enclosures to fit behind the rear seats (you have to remove the rear seats from the cab to do any of this, I also had to remove a large section of wall carpet along the rear wall of the cab). It's major surgery but if you heard the sounds like I do it's worth it.
Good to know, thanks. I had a 6 channel PPI amp and JL Audio 10 in my old 2000 SD so I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with the factory system, if not, the wife is gonna flip!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
What were the sizes of the mids and tweeters? Sites like crutchfield and bestbuy don't yet have our trucks listed in their fitment guides. Also, how is the stock amplification handled for everything but the sub? Straight from the head unit, or with external amps? BTW, I have the nav system which I believe includes the best sound available on these... I was disappointed that I couldn't get the Sony system that they offer in the Taurus.

I'm fine with the sub that's in there but I agree that the rest of the sound band could be much better.
If you're interested you'll have to call Crutchfield and speak to one of their sales folks. That's what I did, researched the '08-'10 configurations with SYNC and Nav and we found that the '11 is nearly identical to a '10 in the way that the speakers/tweeters and mid-ranges are wired, etc.. The speakers are fed by the head unit and there is no remote amplifier.

To get the right size you can use the '10 as an example, though I would still talk to someone rather than just order online. I got the Polk Audio component speakers in the doors but I wish I had gotten larger mid range speakers, the tweeters are great.

For reference, the factory speakers weigh approx. 1 pound and made of paper, virtually no magnet. Aftermarket ones are MUCH heavier with beefy magnets and poly materials. It's not the LOUD, it's the clarity, depth, imaging of the sound.

The factory set up is not bad though, it just won't perform in such a way that you feel like there is a vocalist sitting in the truck with you, or, there is a guitar player in the passenger seat.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
rdenis
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most stock systems these days are pretty good for non-audiophiles and those who don't want to spend the extra dough.

Of course the cab insullation and design also has a lot to do with the acoustics.

This system seems about average to good in terms of stock systems these days. I'm happy with it in terms of sound quality. What does suck is the quality of satellite radio although in relative terms it is much better in my truck then my wife's van (which sounds like it is being filtered through a tin can!).

Old 09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Does anyone know who makes the Head Unit on our Navigation systems?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Also what model number is it?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Could anyone post the speaker sizes for a crewcab with NAV?

I am interested in replacing speakers only at this time.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Here:

Call before ordering.

Car Selector

Old 09-14-2010, 03:56 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rdenis

This system seems about average to good in terms of stock systems these days. I'm happy with it in terms of sound quality. What does suck is the quality of satellite radio although in relative terms it is much better in my truck then my wife's van (which sounds like it is being filtered through a tin can!).
For some reason I have noticed this too. The SAT audio has a narrower frequency range than FM or MP3 or CD.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Crutchfield doesn't know if the tweeters are going to be a non standard size. They recommend 2 pairs of Polk Audio db571's for the door panels in the crew cab.

Polk Audio db571 2-way car speakers For 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings at Crutchfield.com