1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

'66 F-100 Emblem clarification

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Brock_7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone help me out in understanding the different emblem combinations that came with the '66 F-100 Custom cabs? Mine only has the "custom cab" emblem on the right and left door. It does not have the "Twin I-beam" emblem on the right and left front wheel panels. Nor does it have the metal trim along the door and bed. It doesn't appear the truck ever had these additional "accessories." Your help will be much appreciated.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:48 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd guess someone swapped pre 64 fenders. The molding was on custom cab trucks. Maybe someone was trying to solve accident or rust damage. Take a close look at the hood bumper system on your truck the 65 and 66's have three round rubber bumpers, one at the front of each fender and one to the right of the hood latch. If you have oval shaped bumpers and more than three your fenders are from an older truck. Not a big issue, you can install the twin I-Beam emblims yourself.
William in Atlanta

Old 02-18-2003, 06:08 PM
THE HEAP
New User

As far as I know, all the 65 & 66's came with the fender "I beam" emblem. On my truck (bought it used), the emblem was removed & the holes filled in. I couldn't even tell it came with them until I removed the fenders to restore it.
Also, from what I've noticed through the years....the custom cabs with no trim on the sides of the truck usually had painted bumpers & shiny grilles.
They also have the standard round speedometer with idiot lights instead of the long sweep speedo & extra gauges.
I'm pretty sure that when the trucks were new, buyers could check off which options (how much shiny stuff) they wanted. There were probably 2 levels of custom cabs available.

Hopefully all this babble actually helped??

Old 02-18-2003, 07:02 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Hope to ease the confusion, there were only two trim levels of trucks. The plain, painted bumpers, grill, round speedo. The Custom cab had chrome bumper(s) alu grill, windshield chrome, body side molding, sweeping speedo, trim inside the cab.

There was no partical custom cab. There was a Ranger package with most of the differences inside of the cab.

And that is the way it is.

Old 02-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

Originally posted by jowilker
Hope to ease the confusion, there were only two trim levels of trucks. The plain, painted bumpers, grill, round speedo. The Custom cab had chrome bumper(s) alu grill, windshield chrome, body side molding, sweeping speedo, trim inside the cab.

There was no partical custom cab. There was a Ranger package with most of the differences inside of the cab.

And that is the way it is.
John, I believe the side trim was available without the custom cab options. My truck has the original drivers door (tag matches frame vin), no holes in door for custom script but all holes for side trim are there on every panel.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:49 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I think I've seen Custom Cabs without the side moldings also. In fact, I think I owned one, but the truck was so beat I couldn't prove it.
Another side note: my Custom Cab has the side moldings and all the other Custom Cab neato items, but has painted bumpers.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:19 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi Kenny, If body trim (plus speedo) is the only difference in the two truck models, why would some only have part of the trim?

I'll try to remember to call a local dealer and ax him what he knows. He has forgotten more about our trucks than I'll ever know.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:03 AM
hawkrod
Elder User

funny that this would come up today! yesterday i was at a wrecker stripping a 66 custom cab. it is an original paint truck (white) F250 with a 352 4 speed. the truck has body side moulding, brite grille, door pockets, windshield moulding, windshield washers, door panels, and brite trim around the headliner. however it has a painted front bumper and round speedo! i would not mention this except i have stripped about a dozen like this in the last year. every time i find one i think to myself how odd it is but since i am not restoring them i don't concern myself with it (other than being disapointed on not getting another dash to sell!). this truck is a really nice low miler but got hit in the back side crossing the highway so it couldn't be fixed. hawkrod

Old 02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
THE HEAP
New User

I have a question that's bugged me for years concerning the sweeping gauges.
Most of them had all 4 round gauges, but some are missing the 2 outer gauges.
My guess is the ones with all 4 went with the V8 trucks & the others were for 6 cylinder trucks???
I'm still convinced that just because a buyer checked the Custom Cab box when ordering, he didn't automatically get all the C.C. stuff. I'm guessing there were also other additional trim options you could check yes/no on.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:25 AM
jerny66
New User

I have a 66 F-250 4x4 custom cab. It is the factory green with painted bumper,round speedo, bright grill, no side trim, windshield chrome. It has the custom cab emblem, F-250 and v-8 emblems. Maybe being a 4x4 makes some difference in the trim package?

Old 02-19-2003, 03:50 PM
Rosati
Postmaster

Originally posted by jowilker
Hi Kenny, If body trim (plus speedo) is the only difference in the two truck models, why would some only have part of the trim?
That I couldn't answer, John. But I can tell you that my truck is void of CC script, had painted bumpers and grill, did have side moulding, did have headliner trim but no door trim or panels, and has a round speedo. I realize there could have been additions or deletions by previous owners but the tag on the door and the # on the frame match and there were no holes, welded or filled in the door.
I am thinking that if the custom cab option was a full on option, then the side trim would only be found on the CC trucks and not all of thm.
I too, am intersted in knowing the real deal on CC options.

Old 02-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Brock_7
Freshman User

Boy, I had no idea my question would cause so much interesting chatter. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond. It seems to me we should be able to get our hands on something that lists the standard packages available for the '66 F-100, and all the accessories available for each package. Where do guys go when they want to restore their rig to its original condition? As for me, I just have the custom cab script on the doors, and the V8 hood emblem. My bumpers are not painted, and I have the extended speedo; no chrome side molding....and it looks original. I was just thinking about dressing it up a bit with the I-beam emblems, and maybe something more...

Old 02-20-2003, 06:19 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The four round gauges on the sweep dash were optional, most only had two.
You could only get the sweep dash on a CC, but apparently not all CC's had sweep dashes? So far it seems the F250's are the CC's with round dashes.
My original owner's manual shows a lot of the optional equipment but does not mention the side trim, bumpers or two tone paint.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:15 PM
62uni
Senior User

Here is one more example, I have an original ,(read needs it all!) 1965 lwb F-100 CC, originally 6 cyl., with all the trim in and out and driver's door pocket, but painted bumper on front and wrap around type step bumper in back, the sweep dash has been crudely modified for outboard gauges, left being a tach in an enlarged hole. All black factory paint. Appears unrepaired. Maybe this truck had it's chrome bumper replaced? I probably need to sell it and concentrate on the '62, so look for the ad on FTE first.