Sponsored by: Moser

Gas Tank Relocation 1975 F20 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Tank Relocation 1975 F20 4x4

I'm doing a frame off on 75 f250 4x4. I plan on removing the Cab tank.I would like to purchased a 19 gal OEM tank from LMC. Will that bolt onto the my frame without any mods to frame or crossmembers. Any pics of a project like this woul help.

Thanks
Bob
951 4919125

Old 09-01-2010, 05:13 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your frame is straight all the way back. I have called them and that tank is too wide for your frame. There are many threads here about that prob. I dont think any are nice enough for a frame off. Just my opinion.

I just ordered a Jaz fuel cell that will fit perfectly.
Tank part #206-022-01 is 25 1/2x25 1/2x9 so I'm pretty sure it will fit really nice. Sending unit installed. I believe the only mod to make is I have to notch a 45 fill valve to make a 90 degree that will fit between the bed and top of frame.That way I can use the existing fuel door.

I will also order hanging brackets and a short AN fuel line to get over to the frame.
Cost is $288.69

I could be wrong but I believe no movement of crossmembers will be necessary.

Summit racing had to create a part # for the custom tank assembly from Jaz and will call me tomorrow to place order. I'll let you know the new part number then.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
Thanks so much i'm having breakdown about this. I have to let the paint shop know if they can weld up the hole in the cab where the tank filler tube exited.
Thanks for the heads up on the look of those other tanks. Besides LMC wanted 379 for the 38 and and all the parts. The if it doesnt fit i pay shipping to reurn it. Is the JAZ fuel cell stainless steel ?
Please let me know the part number. I just ordered parts from Summit the other day.
Bob
cpt7576@msn.com

Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
The tank I chose is poly...they have poly within a steel powdercoated tank and alum also "I think".
Catch is the you may have to make your own brackets for that one.

Your choice of capacity and size will slightly limit you as far as which one works for you. Jaz.com

Make sure you take into account the bulge at the rear of your frame where the rear crossmember is bolted. Mine is a 73 and measures 26 inside. The tank has to fit in between or cut the bulge off. I had already powdercoated frame so I really did not want to do that.

Let you know tomorrow. I'll get you all the part#'s

You can call Jaz...they were really helpful.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
You may also want to consider a tank from aerotanks.com
It's kind of expensive, but works really nice. I believe it's a 32 gal tank and fits nicely in the rear and bolts up to the bottom side of the frame. The design is a bit off though. I had to move the filler neck a bit so I could get a hose to fit. Other than that though, I like it because my truck only gets 6-7MPG and I don't have to fill up as often as I would with a small fuel cell or tank. Another option would be to move the rear crossmember back and fab a new front crossmember and place a bronco II tank back there. They fit nicely between the rails and you'll just have to fab some straps to hold it into place. I have pics of my aerotank if you want to see it.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:18 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
If you have pics of the 32 galareotank that would be great. Aerotank I'll check it out. You said sid frame so that mounts on the side? I'm also looking at Jaz tanks as well.
I'm putting a 428Cobra jet in mine so MPG wont be to goo for me either.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
The tank I chose is poly...they have poly within a steel powdercoated tank and alum also "I think".
Catch is the you may have to make your own brackets for that one.

Your choice of capacity and size will slightly limit you as far as which one works for you. Jaz.com

Make sure you take into account the bulge at the rear of your frame where the rear crossmember is bolted. Mine is a 73 and measures 26 inside. The tank has to fit in between or cut the bulge off. I had already powdercoated frame so I really did not want to do that.

Let you know tomorrow. I'll get you all the part#'s

You can call Jaz...they were really helpful.

Do you have pics of your frame and crossmember. I can send you pics of mine maybe if i can figure out this website. not very computer literate or just send me your email that easier for me.

I talked with summit the other day about the jazz tank.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend

Below is the design flaw. The filler neck doesn't fit the frame right. Fairly easy fix, but something that I was not impressed with considering the amount of money spent for the tank, but I went with it.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Summit part # is "custom". Duh. Anyway the part #'s used were :

Tank...204-022-01
Filler neck....315-030-03

I ordered 22 gallon tank, filler neck, mounting brackets, 2 1/2 hose, and AN supply fittings to get me to the frame along with 90 degree to get the vent hooked up properly. Cost is $488.00.
If memory serves me the Aerotank was that much alone but it looks like it fits pretty tight.
I dont think I will see it til late next week due to holiday but will post pics in my 1973 Resto thread.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
Thanks for the pics didnt think this relocation would be a big deal. But i plan on going ahead with it either aero or the jaz tank. I'm not much when it comes to frabication,never learned how to weld good LOL. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
cpt7576
Freshman User
Did you get your poly tank from Summit yet? I see summit gave you custom part numbers. I leave for a couple of weeks and wont be back. Please let me know when you get the parts and get pics. I probably will go with the instalation you are doing as well.
Thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I have everyting but the tank. I cant believe it didn't show today. Ive got all the new plumbing run and am just waiting for that to button it up. I'll put pics in this post when finished.
FYI. If you get prebent lines from Inline tube be prepared for some wrestling. I chose(was forced) to get the 76 version and the bends are diff at the trans crossmember. I had to undo 4 bends to get a straighter shot. Shore looks pretty though.
Grin

Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Got the tank today...pics are in "1973 restoration" . Have few mods to make before it will be in for good.
Good luck on your project.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Speedshifter
Freshman User
Buck do you know what is the part # is for that aero tank
also do you have any pics of your filler neck mod
I'm thinking of doing this swap in my 77

Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Speedshifter
Buck do you know what is the part # is for that aero tank
also do you have any pics of your filler neck mod
I'm thinking of doing this swap in my 77
I basically just ground down the welds so I could tilt back the filler neck to give more room to the frame rail to fit my hose. I bought a non collapsible hose (I can't remember where I got it) and pretty durable so it wouldn't cut into the frame rail if I had to bend it tight. I wasn't sure what kind of room I had for the bed if I modified the neck further because I never had my bed yet to see. You probably could do a better job or even a totally different setup. The tank is steel so you could actually move the filler neck all together to a different location pretty easily or extend it out more yet. And the part number for the tank is 1028.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Relocation 1975 F20 4x4