Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Do I need a pyrometer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Romel77
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont think u need one, as the car was running 30 years without it, u dont even have it on new cars. If u are not a retard and I dont think u are u will be fine. Just listen to the engine,it will tell u. And 2500 pound is nothing for that engine, I assure u that. I tow with Jeep Cherokee 2.5 tons, so somewhere 5500 pounds. And it is a 2.5 liter turbodiesel 115hp.Of course it is to the legal limit here but can be done, went through Alps. So the IDi ford must do it with ease, they were built for far more than that.
I am just wondering why u guys are so scared of burning piston? It only happens when injector gone, or dripping and u can mostly hear it. He has n/a so no need to mess with mixture screw, the way it was factory set is fine, they are smarter than we are and they did it for some purpose. Adding fuel is worth only when adding air, otherwise it is worthless. As I see it.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does a pyrometer measure? exactly?? I have a pyro and manifold pressure gauge. I usually loose power when the mp reaches 8 or 9. out of 17 i think. I NEVER see black smoke from my 7.3 IDI Turbo. every once in a while I see bluish smoke when raising the rpms on a downgrade for compression. whats good and whats bad about smoke. I get the idea that smoke means to much fuel to burn right?? also what are etgs? This is one area I dont have much knowledge on. open to anything. Thanks (not trying to thread jack)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
What does a pyrometer measure? exactly?? ... whats good and whats bad about smoke. I get the idea that smoke means to much fuel to burn right?? also what are etgs? This is one area I dont have much knowledge on. open to anything. Thanks (not trying to thread jack)
A pyrometer measures the temperature of your exhaust gas (EGT, exhaust gas temperature), wherever the probe is installed. It should be in the exhaust manifold and upstream of a turbo, if you have one, so that it's accurately measuring the temperature in your combustion chambers.

Black smoke means you're overfueled. You're not getting any power out of fuel you can't burn, and in a diesel, running "rich" means your EGTs are probably way too high. In that situation, sooner or later things like your pistons will start to melt.

From what I've heard 1000 degrees F is the "safe maximum" for our IDI engines, and 1200 is the absolute max (you should only touch that very briefly). Newer diesels can tolerate higher EGTs than ours can -- better metallurgy and whatnot.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
One thing to keep in mind when you start talking temps, max temps, etc.....

As I understand it, EGTs are very subjective to the location of the pyro. The further downstream from the exhaust chamber the probe is located, the cooler the temps will read. So, while Banks does recommend a safe maximum of 1050°F (Read up here, page 16: http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals...310-v3-web.pdf), you have to remember that their probe is mounted much farther downstream in the turbo pedestal (just upstream of the turbo exhaust inlet).

EGTs measured in the exhaust manifold can probably be higher, but not sure how much.

Mike

Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Great. whats the difference in black smoke and the lighter blue smoke??

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM
flainn
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
Great. whats the difference in black smoke and the lighter blue smoke??
Blue smoke could be oil making it past your rings ... or worn valve guides, especially since you say it's happening on deceleration. Does your engine use oil?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
It tends to blow a bit of blue smoke when under load and I shift down to get the engine compression to slow me down, (therefore raising the rpms). I dont have to add oil but it has a little blow-bye. when i take off the oil cap after a drive I here the putt-putt and see the steamy smoke come from the fill hole (signs of blow-bye).. Im guessing its the piston rings?