Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Installing a pyrometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:38 PM
big ole ford
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Installing a pyrometer

I want to install a pyrometer on my 94 7.3 IDI turbo and have never done this before. Is there a place on the turbo or outlet pipe for the probe to screw in or will I have to remove the downpipe and have a bung welded in? Honestly the only thing I know about Installing a pyrometer is that it needs to be as close to the turbo as possible or it wont do any good and I figured I had best put one on since I turned up my fuel pressure a bit I really dont want to cook my engine. Thanks for any info you guys might have on this!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM
southtexasidi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some put theirs in the downpipe. I put mine in the middle of the drivers side exhaust manifold. You want to read EGT's as close to the piston as possible...because thats what you dont want to melt down.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM
big ole ford
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How did you install the probe into the manifold? I would assume you have drilled and tapped a hole or used a heli-coil but we all know what happens when we assume... Anyway I like the idea of putting it in the manifold I think that would be easier than removing the downpipe also. Any recommendations on the gauge, I was looking at the autometer#4344 but am certainly open to suggestions. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
The best spot is to drill and tap the exhaust manifold next to #8 cylinder. I have read that it will give the best reading..

I dont have any experience with autometer but they should be good. I have used Isspro on big rigs with good luck. I have a used isspro that was given to me to install on my 6.9 I just havent gotten to it yet.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 PM
racer30
Senior User
I put Mine in the manifold on the boss directly opposite the Exhaust port on what would be the #2 cylinder on a Truck, But on my MH its #7 because I used the drivers side manifold on the other side for the MH application. Its best to get the temps from a single cylinder's Exhaust gasses. check out My pic's on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer30/10130488203/

Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the 79 i just drilled and tapped the manifold through the fender well. But check the exhaust for an exsisting bung.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 PM
racer30
Senior User
I drilled and taped it for 1/8 pipe thread. Its easy when you have it off the engine...Doing it in the Truck could be fun....

Old 03-06-2014, 11:06 AM
waterdog40
Junior User
gauges?

Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
On the 79 i just drilled and tapped the manifold through the fender well. But check the exhaust for an exsisting bung.
Hi gentleman .... I see u were talking bout the boost install there gauge wonder have u ever found a bung on OEM exhaust? I want to do a 3 gauge ped on DS open for comments.... Thanks men...

Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM
ottoparts
Junior User
I have a Hypermax Turbo and the piping already had a place for the the pryo

Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
the banks turbo assembly has a bung in the turbo pedestal. the stock ATS units do not.
when i put the pyrometer in my 02, i mounted it in the driver side exhaust manifold at the rear. it was very accessible from underneath with both the drill and the tap.
once the hole was drilled and tapped, i just screwed the adapter in, then the thermocouple into the adapter.
going on 6 years now and still solid in there.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by waterdog40
Hi gentleman .... I see u were talking bout the boost install there gauge wonder have u ever found a bung on OEM exhaust? I want to do a 3 gauge ped on DS open for comments.... Thanks men...
actually a pyrometer is an exhaust temp gauge. the boost gauge goes to the intake hat.

damn rookies!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 AM
waterdog40
Junior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tjc transport
actually a pyrometer is an exhaust temp gauge. the boost gauge goes to the intake hat.

damn rookies!!!
Thank man.....lol.... I will be looking into that.... yes rookie is me in the diesel section...lmao

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
My ATS has a bung in the exhaust outlet on the snail. From what I've read this is a dumb place to have it as the exhaust has had plenty of opportunity to cool by this point.

When I get a pyro I'm going to drill my exhaust manifold.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:04 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
My ATS has a bung in the exhaust outlet on the snail. From what I've read this is a dumb place to have it as the exhaust has had plenty of opportunity to cool by this point.

When I get a pyro I'm going to drill my exhaust manifold.
ATS 085 and ATS 088 had it there, and by "snail" you mean the odd exhaust housing casting, not the intake plenum (also frequently referred to as a "snail"). It is not a great location, but in all fairness it is the same as the banks kit since the up pipe pedestal slip fits into one side of that exhaust casting. The probe is still pre-turbo just above the joint in the up pipe. That said, it is still not nearly as good as a measurement from the manifold and if you use it just know the reading is low. The ATS 093/factory turbo had no provision for a probe.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i only saw less than a 50 degree difference with the thermocouple under the turbo on the hot side of the pedestal compared to being in the exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: Installing a pyrometer