Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

No WTS light

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
10 sec brutus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No WTS light

Hi all been browsing for a while & decided to join , great site BTW............got a 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo , bought this from a guy over here in UK , he won a few shows with this truck , was well maintained & originally came out of Canada around 2006 , has around 123,000 miles on it...................was a bit of a pain starting the truck from cold , took around 15 secs on the key before she fired , fitted a new set of glow plugs & she fires on first crank of the key after i wait around 10 secs for glow plugs to heat , problem i have is the WTS light won't illuminate , checked bulb & all is good , even swapped bulb to indicator & all is good , blue wire from controller is getting an earth feed , this wire changes colour & all is good out of terminal block near fuse/relay box under hood , can't trace this wire ant further as it disapears under relay/fuse block , without takiing the dash out i don't know where else to look , just wondereed if you guys have a simple method of checking this out , the light does'nt effect starting obviously , but would just like to get it fixed as everythibng else works good on thiss truck , just a shame the bulb won't light up............had to remove the turbo to get to the rear glow plug , anyone gonna tell me they've got to it without removeing turbo?

I used the search facility but found nothing relating to my post , sorry if it has been covered previously.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:00 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no worries, i had to remove my turbo as well. its pretty tight in that back corner. as far as the wts light when you say its getting a earth feed, do you mean ground? if so, it shouldnt be ground, it should be hot when the key is turned on. try unplugging the blue wire from the controller and putting a light tester to it. turn the key on and see if it lights up. if not then it fried something inside the controller. if it does light up then you got an issue with the wire from there to the bulb. try jumping a 12v wire to the wire that runs inside the cab. if it sparks then you got a bad ground, if it lights the dash up then your good there.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:53 PM
10 sec brutus
New User
Ahhh , i thought the blue wire out of controller feeds a ground to the WTS bulb & in doing so makes a circuit , in other words a live supply is already in the cluster just waiting for that ground off the controller , i heard some guys just connect that blue wire up to the white wire on controller relay? (ground) , am i on the right track? , don't want to feed a 12 volt supply up blue wire if it is intended to be a ground? , where do i find the wire from controller to WTS light in cab , & what colour? i'm assuming the WTS light is in the bottom left corner of dash next to the left turn signal bulb? , or is it on the right hand side next to the WIF etc cluster? , the manual does'nt really help & i'm newto this truck , thanks for posting.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont think so, the ground on the solenoid should be always grounded...... so that would make your light on all the time.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 94 WTS light signal from the Glow Plug Controller is a GROUNDED circuit!

The WTS light gets 12v+ power all the time with keyon/keystart ignition power, then is grounded by the Glow Plug Controller to activate the light ...

The WTS wire color is Black/Pink, The Blue wire is a 20Ga. Fusable Link that connects to the Black/Pink wire that runs into the cab.

You need to check for keyon/ketstart 12v+ power to the WTS light module.
Then ensure (You already have) that the WTS signal wire (Black/Pink) goes to ground when the GP's are on...

The official test procedure:
Step 1
  1. Disconnect WTS light at Controller connector.
  2. Ground WTS wire on harness side. (not controller side)
  3. Turn Ignition Switch on.
  4. Does the WTS light come on?
    1. Yes, WTS light works
    2. No, Check WTS wiring, Replace Bulb.
Step 2
  1. Disconnect WTS light at Controller connector.
  2. Turn Ignition Switch on.
  3. Does the WTS light come on?
    1. Yes, Fix wiring.
    2. No, Replace Controller

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 AM
10 sec brutus
New User
Tis nice to have that WTS light working.

Pulled multi connector off back of warning light cluster & bulbs all checked out good , black/pink wire from controller was sending a ground up to multi plug , wiggled connection into block & light came on , had the same issue when i lost the dash lights/running lights , again the wire had come off the back of the light switch , nice easy fixes so far.........

Thanks again.