6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2ND USB Port on SYNC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
stf26
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2ND USB Port on SYNC

Google Image Result for http://www.instructables.com/image/F0X7ZRYGAKTU7SW/Microsoft-Sync-Alternate-2nd-USB-Port-USB2.jpg

Hey Guys, I found a cool article with pictures of the 2nd USB2 port on the sync module. I am going to be looking for this on my truck this weekend. With a Mini USB Male to Female Cable you can easily keep another USB Stick or Hard Drive connected somewhere in the truck to keep the front USB open for IPOD etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Sweet! Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM
stf26
Junior User
Yeah if I can find the module I will post a picture.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM
stf26
Junior User
OK Guys, I found it. Sorry for a bad picture. Just open the glovebox and push the tab on the right side to the left so the glovebox folds open completely. On the right side you will see the USB Cable for the primary USB Port and right next to it is the 2nd USB Port. I just need to find a male mini usb to Female Regular USB Cable. OR a Mini Male to Mini Male to go into a WD Hard Drive. I have heard that guys use Hard drives up to 320gb with success.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Way to go stf26! I think I'll figure out a way to change out the single USB port with a dual port and keep the factory look. Something like this, just enlarge the slot in the dash.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:07 PM
stf26
Junior User
Wow that is impressive. We will have to see some pictures of that. For now I may just use a 64gb USB stick and leave it in the glovebox.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
I have never really thought of using my usb port, what all can you do with it and sync?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Rafiki2cu
I have never really thought of using my usb port, what all can you do with it and sync?
I use it as a music library. I have a 16 GB USB thumb drive that I keep plugged into the port. Plenty of tunes. The MS Sync software is not as user-friendly as an IPod but it is usable. Wondering if I can play a movie through the USB port?

You will also use it whenever you upgrade the Sync software.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM
skylinekw
Senior User
Did anybody download pictures yet? I read about it quick in the manual, I will have to read it again. It says you can download from a disk, can you do this from the usb also?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 AM
stf26
Junior User
When you say pictures you are talking about .jpg files? What would you do with them?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I plan on trying the pictures out soon. They have to be .jpg and max size is 1.5MB I think. You can replace the home screen Ford logo with your own pic. Basically like the wallpaper on your phone or home computer.

If it's anything like the Jukebox, you really have no choice but to use a CD to upload the files. I tried everything to upload music (bluetooth, thumb drive, iPod). The CD is the only thing that works. The only reason is that the Jukebox user menus are better than the iPod interface.

This stuff is really cool, funny how much we can do with it but the limitations appear almost instantly.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 AM
skylinekw
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I plan on trying the pictures out soon. They have to be .jpg and max size is 1.5MB I think. You can replace the home screen Ford logo with your own pic. Basically like the wallpaper on your phone or home computer.

If it's anything like the Jukebox, you really have no choice but to use a CD to upload the files. I tried everything to upload music (bluetooth, thumb drive, iPod). The CD is the only thing that works. The only reason is that the Jukebox user menus are better than the iPod interface.

This stuff is really cool, funny how much we can do with it but the limitations appear almost instantly.
Your not kiding. I put in a dvd and pressed the little button in the middle of the up/down/left/right to get the full screen, but the white box stays on the side of the screen. I tried everything to get if off. all you have to do is if the dvd is in press media and then dvd/cd. it starts playing small. If you do not touch anything if automaticly goes into full screen.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 451 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by skylinekw
Your not kiding. I put in a dvd and pressed the little button in the middle of the up/down/left/right to get the full screen, but the white box stays on the side of the screen. I tried everything to get if off. all you have to do is if the dvd is in press media and then dvd/cd. it starts playing small. If you do not touch anything if automaticly goes into full screen.

You have to have the navagation stereo,correct?

Shane

Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FYI, I uploaded a couple pics. Insert photo CD, in the "home" screen touch the "ford" logo. You will get a menu where you navigate through the files on your CD and can upload and save. A simple editing option is available where you can zoom or reduce.

Now you can choose to see whatever pic you want on 1/2 the "home" screen, or two images if ya want. My only beef is that I would like to have 1 pic shown in full screen. Won't allow you to do that.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Sportscraft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check mine out. I was disappointed there wasn't a separate usb in my console so you see the wire for my ipod. I was going to try and have a stereo shop move it, but this will solve the problem much easier!

Quick Reply: 2ND USB Port on SYNC