6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2ND USB Port on SYNC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:14 PM
bwindell
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueCrystalMan
I saw that angle thing, bwindell... hoping the cable I bought is going to fit in without me needing to shave the housing down any. I ultimately want to do the same as you, with mounting a port in the console, but for now, I am going to be more than happy storing mine away in the glovebox... It, too, can be locked, and gets much less use than the console.
I'd be curious to hear if it fits BCman. PartsguyEd's cover man sent me another part number, but is unsure if it will work in the USB2 slot - has an A on the end of the part number, instead of the B. I may give that a try and see if I get lucky. Let me know if your cable works without modification if you could. I too will be keeping mine in the glove box until I can figure out how to get inside the console without completely removing the whole box...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by srosa
I may go the memory stick route to see if that works any better.
That works well. Right now reasonably priced 16GB sticks are readily available at Costco. I have a lot more mucic on the iPod then 16GB though.

But, in the long run it just might be easier to have a few sticks to choose from.

I tried this adapter today - works fine in the second slot.

Amazon.com: USB 2.0 Type A to Mini USB 5-Pin Type B Female / Male Adapter: Electronics

Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 AM
PITS
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have my truck yet but can't you rip about 10Gb to the onboard HD in the NAV?

My buddy just bought a Tarus SHO with the sync and NAV and that is what he was doing.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
you can, but an Ipod or separate USB stick is much easier to use and manage!

I've never tried loading mp3's into the sync unit. Seems like it'll only rip original disks... Regardless, I stopped bothering with it after hooking up my Ipod.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Will do, bwin... the cable will be here tomorrow.

Originally Posted by porthole

Amazon.com: USB 2.0 Type A to Mini USB 5-Pin Type B Female / Male Adapter: Electronics
I saw that... but assumed the housing wouldn't allow it to fit in the slot properly... Glad to know it fits, so if this cable end is too chunky to fit, I will get one of these.

The gender changer adapter I had to get... that was a penny, also... plus 4.99 shipping. Thought that was kinda funny. It still hasn't shipped yet, so I may just cancel it and go with the adapter you put up.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 AM
BCM
More Turbo

bwin... sweet wheels on your rig.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
BCM
More Turbo

I just remembered... I have a bunch of extra USB mini-B to USB A cables from all of the Western Digital MyBooks... Just plugged one in and I'm ready to go... just need the elusive gender changer... which STILL hasn't shipped yet.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:03 PM
srosa
Junior User

Originally Posted by porthole
That works well. Right now reasonably priced 16GB sticks are readily available at Costco. I have a lot more mucic on the iPod then 16GB though.

But, in the long run it just might be easier to have a few sticks to choose from.

Thanks porthole (and everyone else that's been doing the legwork for the rest of us!). I'll be ordering the parts to set up something in the glovebox. I have an iPod classic that stores my entire music collection so I'll probably stay with that until the price on high capacity sticks comes down.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

So the problem with the hard drive ipods" in a F-350 is that they are hard drives - and subject to rough roads. I need to wrap mine in a foam case.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM
BCM
More Turbo

A foam case isn't necessarily going to do it. There will be SOME shock absorbtion, but not nearly enough.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yeh, we need some LARGE solid state drives.. course thats a memory stick today..

Sam

Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BlueCrystalMan
A foam case isn't necessarily going to do it. There will be SOME shock absorbtion, but not nearly enough.
True, but I have the ipod sitting on the steal plate that is above the glove box, so a little padding will help.
At least with this system, when I hit enough bumps that it causes a problem the SYNC just stops and displays USB device not connected.

Give it a few seconds (stop the bumps) and touch the device button a few times and the iPod comes right back online at the place it took a nap.

Which is an improvement over the way it worked on my motorcycle. When it stopped on the bike it locked up and would need a hard rest.

Which by the way if you ever need to do that there are 2 ways to accomplish that.

1) let it stay locked until the battery goes dead
or
2)Set the “Hold” switch to On, set it back to Off, press and hold the “Menu” and Center buttons for a few seconds until it resets.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by sdetweil
yeh, we need some LARGE solid state drives.. course thats a memory stick today..

Sam
The reason I have an iPod for the truck is because I replaced the motorcycle iPod with the iPod touch 64GB. That model is a solid state drive.
And it has blue tooth, which is a plus since the bike radio supports that.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
USB is USB, all you have to do is get a small 4 port USB hub and you can connect 4 devices to the 1 port. You can have to to 256 ports if you want..

Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Not necessarily. I tried a hub. The Sync lady laughed at me. Would be very cool to have a collection on several USB drives and keep them all plugged in. The USB ports are nice for that reason... I've got two 16 giggers loaded in now, with a variety of stuff. Only problem is remember what is on them.

Wires drive me insane... so if I can find a hub that works with Sync, I'd be all over it... but it needs to fit in the glovebox, or I need to wire it into the console... don't want/need any wires showing.

You've inspired me to try another USB hub. Will report back a brand and model if I find out.

Quick Reply: 2ND USB Port on SYNC