1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What is this.. nut thing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this.. nut thing?

Since I first bought my truck, my right front tire has been locking up on me after using the brakes a few times. So, knowing it was the brake caliper, I went and bought one.

I went and took off the tire, took off the caliper, but then noticed my rotor and hub was extremely wobbly. So, I went and got new... forgot the word... the thing with the ***** in it... and I went to go take the hub off.

I take out the retaining nut, washer, pin, etc. and go to take off the hub when I realized that the things with the ***** in it kind of... welded to the shaft and the hub...

So, I got a wheel puller to try and pull it off, and after two days of trying to get it off different ways, I have managed to break the rotor several times, but, it is still on there. So, I went and bought a new hub and rotor, and I was going to take the entire thing off...

I got the tie rod end off of that side, and got all the nuts and bolts and pins off, and I went to take the whole thing off when I ran into this... nut thing...

What is it!? And how do I get it off!

It's that one small nut... type thing.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Bearings... That's the word I was looking for...

Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing you took the nut/washer/pin off of is the ball joint.Is that what you're trying to replace?If so,that will never come out by hand.They are pressed in with a special ball joint press.You will have to rent one from the parts store or find somebody who has one who'll let you borrow it.

Your pics are blurry so I can't ID it well,but that kinda looks like a camber adjuster or a washer of some sort.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
It's a nut type thing, and it goes up into the hole and you can see it at the other end...

I think it's like one of those things that you'd put into a hollow wall...

A wall anchor that expands as you put the nut in it...

I'm not sure, though.

(That's not my camera, and the pictures are blurry... I should have just gotten mine...)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Wait... To replace the bearings i'm going to need a ball joint press?

I'm trying to replace the entire rotor/hub, but I can't get it off because of the bearings inside.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM
85_Blue
Senior User
Those are your ball joints and you will NEED a press. Take out the bottom one first then the top one. Make a note to where the camber adjuster is when the top one comes out. And soak them with penatrating oil.
Install is reverse and may have to use a air-gun to get them tight enough... some alignment shops will try to charge you to cinch them up.
Good luck..its a ball buster job!!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Wait, wait, wait...

The nut, pin, etc. that I took out was inside the hub after I took the dust cover off.

There are bearings in there I couldn't get out.

I'm trying to take off the thing that holds the rotor/hub off.

It's being held on by this nut type thing on the top holder... (look at the first picture, it's a nut type thing)

Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
If you're doing the bearings in the hub,you shouldn't have to mess with the knuckle and ball joints.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
But that's the whole problem. When my brakes locked up, they got so hot the bearings welded to the hub/shaft.

So, i'm going to replace the hub/rotor and the thing that holds the hub/rotor in place. But there is that nut there that keeps the thing that holds the hub in place that I cannot get off!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
The nut thing is a sleeve that they use to adjust the alignment. Mark it's position somehow.. Put a mark on it, and a mark on the big piece you are trying to take off. It's eccentric, and if it comes out of there, you want to know what position to put it back.

After you get it marked, don't worry about it. It will either fall out or stay in, you don't care. What you need to do then is get a big chisel and or a pickel fork, and start driving the piece you are trying to take off downward. The trick will be wedging it down, without tearing up the two black rubber boots in the picture.

You will have drive and keep wedging till you break it loose.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Franklin2
Show a picture of the problem area. What is the plan after you get the whole piece off?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Wicked Endings
But that's the whole problem. When my brakes locked up, they got so hot the bearings welded to the hub/shaft.

So, i'm going to replace the hub/rotor and the thing that holds the hub/rotor in place. But there is that nut there that keeps the thing that holds the hub in place that I cannot get off!
Okay,I see what you're trying to do now.I see the spindle isn't removable on the 4x2 knuckles,so you're gonna have to replace the knuckle too if you can't get the bearings off the spindle.Franklin is spot on.These things can be quite fussy,especially after 25 years.You'll most likely have to give it some persuasion to get it off.Where are you planning on getting a new knuckle?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
A new knuckle?

What?

Oh man... this is getting expensive, isn't it?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Franklin2
That's why I asked, what is your plan after you get the whole assembly off?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
Um....

Replace it.

Quick Reply: What is this.. nut thing?