1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

adventure and update post...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Spoken like one so truly ignorant of a morning commute after a fresh snowfall.
I have many years of commuting in snow as I lived and worked in the Chicago area. I never owned snow tires while living there either.
I could tell you about getting home from work on a beautiful but cold morning at 5 AM, parking my car in my garage, getting out at about 11 AM and going out to eat and having to shovel more than 2 ft. of snow just to get the garage doors open and then spending more than 7 hours trying to get to work on payday. Getting about a mile away, as the crow flies, seeing the shop across a field and unable to get there because of cars and trucks being abandoned all over the roads, I gave up trying and went back the the diner that I ate at about 12 hours earlier, ate again and then managed to get back to my home and due to the alley being blocked I had to find a spot on the street. I shoveled a parking spot down to the pavement and parked. Went in my apartment and the next day I was determined to get to the shop and I called to see about picking up my check and they told me that they were snowed in and it was a good thing I did't get there. I went into the street and found that there was at least another 2 feet of snow and you couldn't see a car anywhere as there was just mounds of snow indicating where cars were parked. Thanks to Mayor Richard J Daly there was no warning of the blizzard that was headed towards Chicago and then it happened all over again 2 weeks later. Yes I stayed home for the second blizzard.

You might say that I've paid my "Snow Dues".

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
its not easy to see in that vid but that ditch has a pretty decent angle to it. plus the snow plowed into there would make it pretty hard to get out on your own w/out a tow truck/strap.

i enjoy winter driving alot, its the other idiots you gotta deal with that screw it up lol

Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
its not easy to see in that vid but that ditch has a pretty decent angle to it. plus the snow plowed into there would make it pretty hard to get out on your own w/out a tow truck/strap.

i enjoy winter driving alot, its the other idiots you gotta deal with that screw it up lol
Years ago they would just cover it with snow and find it in the spring.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

well we're getting more snow, up to 10" they say we'll see what comes down.

once i get my settlement from my wreck i need to get some studded snow tires for the expedition. allthough they are new these bridgestone A/T tires just dont cut it in the winter. they are almost down right scary IMO.

with his big brother

Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

we got hammered again with that storm yesterday...the expedition sat it out in the driveway getting covered up faster then i could clean it off lol

this was at about 1pm

at 3:45pm

at 8:30pm

i'm thinking of taking it down and washing it and letting it dry off in the garage...it deserves alittle loving and warm time haha

Old 11-26-2010, 12:52 PM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
we got hammered again with that storm yesterday...the expedition sat it out in the driveway getting covered up faster then i could clean it off lol
That what handheld leaf blowers are for!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:55 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

lol it was way too heavy, a good broom works well

Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

well i've had a hell of a time with this truck traction wise. it has almost brand new bridgestone A/T tires. i aired them down to 22psi which helped but it still was still not where i want it. i need to buy studded snow tires but i cant afford it right now. so today i put 400lbs of gravel in the back and WOW it made a huge differance. i might actualy be able to make it through the winter with these tires. that is unless i can afford some new snow tires for it.

it now sits perfectly level, before the rear was about 2" higher

it stops, turns, and takes off much better.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Be careful out there with those Slipstones or you might be looking for another Expiscursion.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

shes running great! over 4k miles we've put on it so we're at 68k miles now...man how they fly by!

since it normaly sits out all the time i decided to let it warm up overnight...now that was a tight sqeeze!

some driving arond in the snow on friday night.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

i knew it was coming.....ugh

today my other half was driving the expedition, somehow rearended a undercover police expedition. so now i need a new front bumper..damnit!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

here was after i pulled the bumper off the tire..it was rubbing pretty good.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The bumper doesn't look all that bad. You might want to leave it on until spring. If the tire got chewed up you now have an excuse to get some really good tires. I'll probably get a set of the Dakota Definitys for my Navigator in another week or two, or some BFG A/ts.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

naw it was just the plastic that rubbed the tire. they are like new and perfect summer tires. i just need a good set of snow tires on this thing!

yeah i think i'll leave the bumper till spring because who knows what else could happen by then. i'm debating on going with a painted bumper...but i kinda like the chrome on this truck.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Did the cops get a ticket for impeding traffic or for backing into her? Dern cops, you can never find one when you need one unless you're in a donut shop's parking lot and then they just jump in front of you.

Quick Reply: adventure and update post...