6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

to those with tuners and dpf delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM
mrstacyr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to those with tuners and dpf delete

I am looking at adding a Spartan tuner and have done a lot of reading here and elsewhere. I know that my dealer is very tuner unfriendly. I also know that there is very little improvement with a tuner and no dpf delete. Those of you who have the dpf delete and tuner have to put stuff back stock before going in to the dealer for service work if your truck is under warranty. How much of a pain is it to put back on the dpf each time? Cant they tell that the bolts have been taken off. Normally they have a lot of rust on them. Pulling off the tuner would not be difficult but not much gain from tuner only. Also if you break down and have to be towed do you tow to your house change everything then tow to dealer. Can you reset to stock tune with truck not running? Give me some advice.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Just put spartan in the search window and you'll get everything you need to know ten times over. That is by far the most often discussed topic on this forum. I'm just too lazy to write it all up right now..

Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstacyr
I am looking at adding a Spartan tuner and have done a lot of reading here and elsewhere. I know that my dealer is very tuner unfriendly. I also know that there is very little improvement with a tuner and no dpf delete. Those of you who have the dpf delete and tuner have to put stuff back stock before going in to the dealer for service work if your truck is under warranty. How much of a pain is it to put back on the dpf each time? Cant they tell that the bolts have been taken off. Normally they have a lot of rust on them. Pulling off the tuner would not be difficult but not much gain from tuner only. Also if you break down and have to be towed do you tow to your house change everything then tow to dealer. Can you reset to stock tune with truck not running? Give me some advice.
I don't have one, but am leaning... so to answer your questions

can they tell it has been touched recently?, sure they can.
do they KNOW why? no, but they can guess. hardly any other reason to touch the DPF.

can u put it back on.. sure,, given enough time ..
fail a 1000 miles from home in the driving rain, and you only have so many tools with you it will be a fun time on the side of the road for sure.. (assuming you drag all the parts with you all the time)

I just towed my trailer 700 and 1300 miles one way, and got the truck to go those and further distances.. so thats the issue I have.

I had a tuner on my f150.. I would guess as long as u can get power up with Key on, you should be able to restore the computer.. but I don't know if you need more on the Spartan.. asking them directly is probably best.

witness the fun here...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post9216297

Sam