1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

97 f-150 window

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM
sniper77
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f-150 window

i've tried a few things on this truck window but still cant get it to operate properly. driver side window wont go down. which sucks in the summer. is there any way to just wire a switch directly to the window motor? not sure how i would do that since theres only 2 wires and reversing them makes it go up and down. it almost seems like i would need 2 seperate switches.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
you have a motor and you have a door switch. they are only a foot apart. a volt meter will tell you if you have 12 volts to the switch, and then send it to the motor. you might jumper in new wires or supply different 12 volt power cable, but the switch and motor are there, right ?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
the switch you would be talking about is called a double pole, double throw.. There would be 6 terminals on the back, two top, two center (common) and two bottom. Your motor i believe has two wires and you switch which one is hot to make it go up or down. So you would connect the 12 volt + and - to the center two common posts. upper terminals would be 1-2 wires to the motor. bottom terminals would be wired 2-1 to the motor. toggle up or toggel down would switch polarity to the motor.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
sniper77
New User
after a year of playing with it and trying different things..........i try it every time i drive it to see if it maybe started working on its own.......i accidentally pushed the driver side while trying to lower the passenger side and it actually moved! so far yesterday it worked all day. didnt try it yet today, hopefully its back to working full time! no idea what the problem could have been..........maybe a bad ground that finally got a good contact again from opening and closing the door all the time? i'm happy about it either way!

Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
that truly is odd. but congrats. i love it when broken things work again.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
sniper77
New User
grrrrrrr, should have known it was too good to be true...........went out there today and it didnt work. decided it would be less of a headache if i just tried to recharge my a/c. i looked down there and saw the guy i bought the truck off of cut the line from the condenser! dammit! guess ill tear it apart yet again..........

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Lime1GT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Why do you torture yourself so? If you don't know how to troubleshoot it with a volt meter take it to a garage. They will find the bad motor; switch; broken wire, that bends constantly every time you open or close the door, where it feeds from the body threw to the door; fuse; relay; or whatever it takes to make the window work again. Steve already gave you a place to start in post #2, I gave you a few more places to look. If you don't have a volt meter a test light will do. Good Luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
sniper77
New User
well heres what i did already. i put direct power to the motor and it goes down. reverse em and it goes up. good motor. i can use the switch to put the window up after putting power to it to make it go down. that made me think it was the switch. for $89.00 i wanted to be sure it was the switch. i printed a wiring diagram for the door switch and found which wires make the driver switch go up and down and which ones make the passenger side go up and down. i tested em to be sure with a test light. i grounded the test light and pushed up and the light lit up on the wire i touched. so i cut the up and down off each switch and reversed em. this did exactly what i thought it would do it made my passenger window go up and down with my driver side switch. but the driver side window didnt work with the passenger side switch. that tells me my switches are fine. the only thing thats left is a bad connection right? can i use my digital voltmeter on continuity and press it into the same colored wire on each side of the door jamb? that would tell me if theres a break in each wire i test, correct?
i just thought the easiest way would have been to find maybe a 3 way switch and wire the motor in directly. one wire from the fuse box to power it and run it to the window motor. and a ground. i just wasnt sure how that would work with the whole reversing polarities thing.
i tried to run a wire from my battery to my window motor but it was drawing too much power and started to melt my wire, even tho it was the same gauge wire as the window motor wires. so i scrapped that idea real quick. i tried banging on the whole inside of the door to see if i could at least get a brief connection to know there was a chance i could find a problem.
i always heard electrical problems are the most expensive things to take a vehicle in for so i was afraid to take it in and get nailed with a huge bill. $80.00 an hour i was told one time for elec. diagnosis. and they keep going till they find the problem. what if it takes 4 or 5 hours to find it. $400.00 plus the cost of the actual repair? maybe thats not accurate? who knows. i do pretty much everything myself if i can. i didnt think this was going to be such a problem!