1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 02:35 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering

Rob,

My Expy is an '01 4X2. The end link bushings are the same. The swaybar bushings are for a 32mm bar. If yours measures 32mm (1.25"), then this kit will fit yours. I do know that Helwig has a rear anti swaybar for the '01's also, but I don't know the number off the top of my head.

My wife noticed a dramatic difference in handling too. She was pleasantly surprised since she didn't want me spending a dime on the truck.

Old 10-30-2001, 02:39 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Steering

Alan,

You made a valid point. Mine has the Wranglers on it and it handled like crap until I installed the urethane bushings. It still has touchy steering. I had a tire dealer tell me he thinks the tires are too narrow for this type of vehicle. He suggested Michelins instead. I'd be willing to swap the General tires and wheels off of my F150 just see if there is a difference.

Good point, now you have me thinking.

Old 10-30-2001, 03:17 PM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

rob_nc,

Thanks again. As far as tires, if you swap them and try them out, please let me know the results. I would even pay to have them mounted/balanced, just to know!

Again, I don't want to spend money on new tires... but I will if it helps. I will start with a sway-bar and bushing kit.

Does anyone know if the Hellwig rear-sway bar comes with good bushings... or do those have to be replaced as well?

Old 10-31-2001, 09:27 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Steering

Old 06-09-2021, 12:05 PM
craigmac67
New User
Have alignment done . It will help. I have a little experience with ford.

Originally Posted by RJKobbeman
I am still trying to figure out/solve my overly sensitive/scary/unsafe steering woes. I have done a lot of research on this board and on xpedition.com... and have found a lot of Expy owners feeling the same way I do (the steering in too sensitive, does not provide good feedbad/feel of the road and wanders all over the road... a very unsafe feel). I keep hearing resolutions from alignment to getting rid of the EVO pump. One post stated that Ford stopped using the Electroning Variable Orifice steering pump mid-year in 2001 (2001 is my year)... but when I called the dealer they show the same part number for the entire year. Also, it was the same for 02.

The thing that bugs me most is how a modern-day vehicle can handle so poorly. I know a larger vehicle will be more succeptible (sp?) to cross-winds... but my god, this thing is down-right scary. I am taking it in to the dealer next week to have things checked out... but I have my doubts on whether they will find anything wrong.

The other thing that troubles me is the talk on this an the xpedition.com boards is owners replacing the steering pump with one from an F-150. My first thought is great (I would do that also if it fixed the problem... even though it is sad to do on a brand new vehicle)... but I can't help but think, what does 'super power steering' have to do with the handling? Just because I can turn the steering wheel with greater ease doesn't mean the truck should wander all over the road... does it? I don't like the super sensitive feel... but I could live with it if it went down the road straight when I hold the steering when in one spot. Another user said it best (not exact quote) "the Expy changes lanes when I sneeze...".

Another question I have is do all Expy's handle this bad or is it just my year? I see a lot of hatred on this subject... but haven't paid attention to the years... yet.

I have driven A LOT of vehicles over the years (right now I also own a Dakota 4x4... and it handles like a sports car compared to the Expy) and this has got to be the worst handling one yet.

This issue has me so upset/angry. I just blew 37k on a vehicle that I HATE to drive. I also bought it (aside from the looks... I LOVE the Expy in general) to feel safer when my wife drives it with our newborn. You can imagine what I think now...
Im use to it .But you can make it hold the road better.